The Student Room Group

Pain in ankle?

So I would ask my surgeon about this but I won’t be seeing him for another 4 weeks but I kinda want to know if this is normal.

Basically I was involved in a pedestrian vs vehicle collision just over 2 months ago and I was the unlucky pedestrian to be hit by a taxi. My back broke and my left fibula and tibia snapped cleanly in 2.

My back is nearly healed but my tibia and fibula are out of alignment and healing very slowly. We were aiming for a malunion of the bones, but right now with how slow things are progressing the surgeon is concerned there maybe a non-union. That being said, while the bones are still very much in two, my mobility has been increasing and I’m allowed to weight bear as much as is comfortable. The break had got worse on Wednesday and the only thing that stopped the surgeon insisting I have surgery, is the fact my mobility has improved.

Now it has been over 2 months and while my left leg has had some weight bearing since 3 weeks after injury, I have yet to heavily place the full brunt of my body weight on it for any long periods. The area that is broken is near the middle of my leg and nowhere near the joints. But I also suspect, there is some muscle atrophy cos I haven’t placed a lot of weight on my left leg for nearly 2 months.

Which leads me onto the ankle pain. My ankle is presently locked in place at the minute cos I am in a cast. I’m pretty certain that is the only thing keeping my leg from buckling when weight bearing right now. The surgeon has also promised a less restrictive cast if I can keep increasing my mobility. Yesterday, I took a 1.6 mile walk with my Zimmer frame without issue and I got a walking stick today and succeeded at a 1.8 mile walk. Until today I never realised how many muscles were involved in walking. I ache all over after 2 months of near walking inactivity. The Zimmer frame takes way more pressure off the muscles than the walking stick does.

The one place I have noticed a lot of pain though, is my left ankle when walking on it. My question is, is this natural after months of not walking on it and does it ease up eventually?
(edited 2 years ago)
sound to me like u hurt ur ankle
Original post by EvilSwag9999

Would you like a trophy for your ground breaking discovery? Here 🏆
Original post by EvilSwag9999

My ankle suffered no apparent injuries from the collision and the pain has only appeared since I have been putting more effort into walking on it. And as I said, the break is considerably higher up on the leg.

Quick Reply

Latest