The Student Room Group

Losing so much weight in a few days

I've just started on my journey to losing 35 pounds and I keep checking the mirror and not seeing results even though I started 3 days ago. How do I get out of the mentality that I can't lose 5kg in a week? Even two months is really fast for losing 35 pounds and I just get annoyed thinking about how far that is and how long I have to keep this up. I am really impatient and getting annoyed seeing my body still so fat.
Reply 1
Not sure but what worked for me was to envision what I wanted to look like after weight loss, and used the scales and mirror to just check progress in, somedays it was hard to see any progress at all other days it was obvious, it really is a marathon and not a sprint, Rome wasn't built in a day as they say. If you can find a plan which isn't too restrictive so it becomes 2nd nature to you then that should stop you from obsessiing over it.
Reply 2
The point is to lose weight to be fit and healthy. Rapid, unsustainable weight loss will make you too ill to enjoy the results, whether that's clothes fitting better, taking part in sports and just feeling good in yourself. Remember why you started this, and your own word of it being a journey.
Even at 2lbs a week it takes around 4-5 months to lose 30-40lbs, and a 2lb a week weight loss is HARD. That’s a 1000 calorie deficit a day. I’ve done it, I barely ate more than 1000 calories a day and I felt like trash.

You won’t notice a difference in the mirror for a while. As in for SEVERAL MONTHS. what you want to do is lose weight sustainably. 0.5-1lb a week, which is a 250-500 calorie deficit. So if you burn 2000 calories in a day, you would eat 1500-1750 calories. It’s easier, it’s more sustainable and slower weight loss encourages skin to retract properly.

Instead of thinking about your goal day, you have to envision the rest of your life. This journey isn’t for next month, or next year, it’s for the rest of your healthy, happy life! You are doing this so you can be your best self all the way until your old age. When you think of it that way, 6 months to a year of dedicated gradual weightloss isn’t such a sacrifice.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest