The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan Not Enough

I am going to University in London in September.
The cheapest accommodation at my university is £232 a week.
I will get £5,812 maintenance loan.
I will be doing Midwifery so it won’t be easy to keep up a part time job (I will try), and I will have to pay rent for the whole year as I only get 4 weeks summer holiday.
In total this will cost around £12,000.
I will also be getting a £5000 bursary for midwifery, but even together this won’t be enough to cover rent alone.
My parents will not be helping me financially, so how am I expected to find the rest of the rent money, and money for food, books, supplies etc.
I have some money saved from working part time during 6th form but not enough.
Is there any way I can get another loan?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Oneill6
I am going to University in London in September.
The cheapest accommodation at my university is £232 a week.
I will get £5,812 maintenance loan.
I will be doing Midwifery so it won’t be easy to keep up a part time job (I will try), and I will have to pay rent for the whole year as I only get 4 weeks summer holiday.
In total this will cost around £12,000.
I will also be getting a £5000 bursary for midwifery, but even together this won’t be enough to cover rent alone.
My parents will not be helping me financially, so how am I expected to find the rest of the rent money, and money for food, books, supplies etc.
I have some money saved from working part time during 6th form but not enough.
Is there any way I can get another loan?

£232 a week can't be the cheapest surely? Are you going to Surrey? Or City? Or Kings?
(edited 2 years ago)
Have your parents submitted their income information? It takes 6-8 weeks after they submit it for SFE to assess your household income and adjust your loan amount upwards.

If they’ve submitted it and it’s been assessed and SFE has awarded the basic London loan amount then your household income is very high and SFE has made the assumption that your parents will be contributing to your income
Reply 3
Original post by heccyeah
£232 a week can't be the cheapest surely? Are you going to Surrey? Or City? Or Kings?

City University of London. It’s the cheapest available from what they told me
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending