The Student Room Group

How do you feel about ‘e-begging’?

When I talk about e-beggars I am referring to people that beg using the internet, typically social media. Some people use it as a method of raising money for legal costs, medical procedures that aren’t available to them on the NHS, others ask strangers for gifts perhaps because they are ‘chronically ill’, some bloggers will ask for voluntary monetary donations off their readers (this is perhaps comparable to busking) and others will ask for money because they are apparently in dire financial straights.
Most e-beggars that I’ve come across are under 40, this is something that the younger generation partake in.

How do you feel about e-begging?
People under 40 likely do it the most because they are the most technologically savvy, and likely because they have some of the most disadvantaged in the pandemic

If it was for live saving cancer treatment etc I would understand to an extent
As for all this other tosh...if people are foolish enough to fund some deadbeat with lip fillers and bunny ears' lifestyle then more fool them
Original post by WazzWazz98
People under 40 likely do it the most because they are the most technologically savvy, and likely because they have some of the most disadvantaged in the pandemic

If it was for live saving cancer treatment etc I would understand to an extent

The sad thing about that is there are a growing number of people who are being caught out faking illnesses possibly for financial gain or to meet emotional needs.
Belle Gibson is good example of this type of behaviour, she did defraud people although to my knowledge she didn’t actually e-beg.

As for all this other tosh...if people are foolish enough to fund some deadbeat with lip fillers and bunny ears' lifestyle then more fool them

If people didn’t respond to e-beggars, e-beggars wouldn’t exist.
Original post by glassalice
The sad thing about that is there are a growing number of people who are being caught out faking illnesses possibly for financial gain or to meet emotional needs.
Belle Gibson is good example of this type of behaviour, she did defraud people although to my knowledge she didn’t actually e-beg.

If people didn’t respond to e-beggars, e-beggars wouldn’t exist.

Oh definitely
But some people have more money than sense
Which is why the whole only fans malarkey has taken off
(Although loneliness during the pandemic may have played a part )
And as for faking illnesses...yes, it does happen, so people should request to see at least a redacted medical report or some sort of official endorsement
I normally just ignore it.
Reply 5
Youve listed quite a spectrum there.. in general i ignore them and look down on people asking for money/gifts for no reason but those who're seeking help for a legitimate cause such as help with medical bills/treatment, funeral costs and other more worthy causes i have no problem with and fairplay to them for using the internet as it was meant for in trying to help people.
Those trying to blag free gifts though, usually sex workers from the ones ive seen, who like to ask their 'fans' to shower them with freebies i find somewhat more tasteless along with the people just winging it and trying their luck.
The specific one you mention about people asking for help paying off their debts etc. is slightly more complicated in that i cant fault them for looking for help ti pay off their debts but on the same hand why should anyone else have to pay for their reckless spending?

All things considered though, personally im not much of a fan of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending