The Student Room Group

Edinburgh or Durham for Accounting and Finance

Which university has a better college experience for business students and has a better job opportunities? Also, which university is easier to get in if I only have good marks, but no extracurriculars?Thanks in advance.
Hi I had the same choices I chose Durham because I believe it’s more undergraduate intensive and I feel like the experience will be overall better with a collegiate system.

For entry it depends on requirements I got a ABB from Edinburgh and AAB from Durham, I got A*A*B and I chose Durham. Kinda found Edinburgh an easy target ngl.

Plus do keep in mind if you go to Edinburgh you will have a 4 year study period rather than Durham this was a major drawback for me along with the course being too idk not interesting where as Durhams course seems nice since I get to learn a new language or study business environment and functions in first year.

Another thing I should let u know is Durham ranks way better than Edinburgh in national rankings where as Edinburgh does way better in international rankings. For a uk employer I think both would be almost equal according to my research but If u plan to go abroad for job I’d prefer Edinburgh as durhams is not that recognised outside uk

Don’t know much about the extra curriculars but solid grades and an excellent personal statement can get u into both
Thanks for the insight. I do plan to go abroad so I think I'll choose Edinburgh if since it has more international prestige. However, could you please elaborate what the collegiate system is and how the experience turned out for you? I searched it up and didn't really understand what it meant.
Original post by procrastinator73
Thanks for the insight. I do plan to go abroad so I think I'll choose Edinburgh if since it has more international prestige. However, could you please elaborate what the collegiate system is and how the experience turned out for you? I searched it up and didn't really understand what it meant.

Durham along with oxford and Cambridge are the only universities that provide a collegiate system in Durham there are 16/17 colleges within a uni like the one I got allocated to is Trevelyan college there is also a castle that one gets to live in according to students preference you live in these colleges with other students and they provide you with the facilities some are catered some aren't my college is fully catered with formals and different societies we can join so it's like u choose a college and u live in it and every college is different with students studying different subjects going to classes in building according to their time table hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by Sam1234ui
Durham along with oxford and Cambridge are the only universities that provide a collegiate system in Durham there are 16/17 colleges within a uni like the one I got allocated to is Trevelyan college there is also a castle that one gets to live in according to students preference you live in these colleges with other students and they provide you with the facilities some are catered some aren't my college is fully catered with formals and different societies we can join so it's like u choose a college and u live in it and every college is different with students studying different subjects going to classes in building according to their time table hope this helps

I am planning on applying to Durham to do accounting and finance. However, my GCSE grades are quite low 76554443332 which I got a 6 in maths and a 5 in English Language. I am resitting my GCSE maths to meet their entry requirement of a 7. Should I even bother applying? I don't know if I would get a rejection because I know people with all a stars applying so there is competition. Currently, I am studying a BTEC in business which my predicted grade is DDD but I am working towards getting a D*D*D* as all of my units have been distinction level.
Original post by Bazz78
I am planning on applying to Durham to do accounting and finance. However, my GCSE grades are quite low 76554443332 which I got a 6 in maths and a 5 in English Language. I am resitting my GCSE maths to meet their entry requirement of a 7. Should I even bother applying? I don't know if I would get a rejection because I know people with all a stars applying so there is competition. Currently, I am studying a BTEC in business which my predicted grade is DDD but I am working towards getting a D*D*D* as all of my units have been distinction level.

Hi honestly I thought I had no chance but I'm pretty shocked that I got offer you should be able to write a personal statement that manages to stand out and with grades all you need is hard work I studied 6 months straight to get A*s so complete dedication would be the key cuz Durham has a high offer rate but few ppl meet the requirements
Durham is a 3-year degree and I think is more well known that Edinburgh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending