The Student Room Group

What if I got 3A*s and a B?

(hypothetical scenario)

So, I'm in Year 12, currently doing three subjects that I enjoy and that I have always been good at. I was initially doing English Lit but I dropped because my parents were worried that I wouldn't get an A for it. However, I really want to pick it back up again (I have until Friday). I've always loved the subject and been very good at it, but I didn't get a 9 at GCSE simply because I was so stressed out by the end of the year.

I want to study Maths so I'm doing Maths and Further Maths at the moment -- how would oxbridge react if I achieved, say, As and A*s in Maths, Further Maths, and German but a B in English? Would they make the offer based off of my three highest grades or would they expect me to get an A in English as well?

Very stressed out, hope someone replies soon *fingers crossed*.
I mean aren't FM and maths often counted as one?
Original post by ashtolga23
I mean aren't FM and maths often counted as one?

Not that common these days, and was never the case for courses where they are relevant e.g. maths, CS, engineering, physics, etc. It's really only a handful of medical schools and certain courses at LSE that routinely only consider FM as a fourth subject/don't consider both maths and FM separately.

Original post by Andnobirdssing
(hypothetical scenario)

So, I'm in Year 12, currently doing three subjects that I enjoy and that I have always been good at. I was initially doing English Lit but I dropped because my parents were worried that I wouldn't get an A for it. However, I really want to pick it back up again (I have until Friday). I've always loved the subject and been very good at it, but I didn't get a 9 at GCSE simply because I was so stressed out by the end of the year.

I want to study Maths so I'm doing Maths and Further Maths at the moment -- how would oxbridge react if I achieved, say, As and A*s in Maths, Further Maths, and German but a B in English? Would they make the offer based off of my three highest grades or would they expect me to get an A in English as well?

Very stressed out, hope someone replies soon *fingers crossed*.

What subject would you be applying to? If you were applying to a subject where English was relevant (e.g. English, or similarly literary courses like modern languages or classics, and maybe some other essay based subjects) that might be more of an issue than if you were applying to say, maths or materials science or something.

Generally they only set offers for 3 A-level grades, and often just require a pass in any additional subjects, or don't make it part of their offer at all. Of course they can specify which subjects are part of the offer, so may specify that you get an A or A* in English as part of your offer. They can also make a four A-level offer, although they don't always do so.

Something to consider is that taking the additional subject, especially if it's one you feel you might need to work harder at to get a good grade, runs the risk of you doing less well in your three main subjects. Therefore you could end up with e.g. A*ABB instead, which would not normally meet their entry requirements.

I would be inclined to suggest if you enjoy the subject that you just continue reading and analysing texts in your own time as an extracurricular endeavour and focusing on your main three subjects. You could even enter literary essay competitions if you wanted - which depending on the subject you apply to, might be a relevant "supercurricular" activity to mention if you do well, and if you don't do well you can either write about it mainly reflectively, or just not mention it at all. Whereas the A-level you are required to list on your UCAS application no matter what.
Original post by artful_lounger
What subject would you be applying to? If you were applying to a subject where English was relevant (e.g. English, or similarly literary courses like modern languages or classics, and maybe some other essay based subjects) that might be more of an issue than if you were applying to say, maths or materials science or something.

I was actually interested in the Oxford Maths and Philosophy course, which was why I though an essay-based subject would be useful. They don't require an essay-based subject, but you have to send an essay in as part of your application.

I've been traditionally very strong in English, however I think the slip-up at GCSE has been putting me off. Writing is one of my great passions also. I'm just worried about getting obsessive over it, like I tend to do... I don't want it to take time away from Maths. But I guess that's discipline?

It's a very good suggestion to study English in my spare time, it hadn't occurred to me that you could enter essay competitions without an A Level. Still, I was worried about just taking Maths, FM, and German, as two of those are so similar.
Original post by Andnobirdssing
I was actually interested in the Oxford Maths and Philosophy course, which was why I though an essay-based subject would be useful. They don't require an essay-based subject, but you have to send an essay in as part of your application.

I've been traditionally very strong in English, however I think the slip-up at GCSE has been putting me off. Writing is one of my great passions also. I'm just worried about getting obsessive over it, like I tend to do... I don't want it to take time away from Maths. But I guess that's discipline?

It's a very good suggestion to study English in my spare time, it hadn't occurred to me that you could enter essay competitions without an A Level. Still, I was worried about just taking Maths, FM, and German, as two of those are so similar.

For a maths degree the combination of maths and FM with one other is fine. I think several colleges indicate they will consider students for the single honours maths course as well as maths and philosophy of e.g. you are demedt suitable to study maths there but they aren't convinced by you for philosophy; since philosophy is only available as a joint honours subject at Oxford and the "other" subject will usually be the "home" department for students as a result, satisfying them in maths before interview will be the main requirement (then you can satisy them on both subjects in your interviews - I gather you will probably have one for each subject).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending