The Student Room Group

Bolton to Lancaster University commute

Hi,

I am a 2nd year university student and I will be commuting from Bolton to Lancaster University by car. The approximate time is around 40 minutes or around 39 miles. Then it would take me around 10 minutes to go from the parking to the appropriate lectures. I was wondering, is this a good commute time? Is there anything that I should take into consideration when commuting? Any tips?

All replies are much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am a 2nd year university student and I will be commuting from Bolton to Lancaster University by car. The approximate time is around 40 minutes or around 39 miles.

Have you actually practised this run on a normal working day at the time of day you'll be travelling? 39 miles in 40 minutes is near enough an average speed of 60mph for the entire journey, and I'm sceptical as to whether that's realistic.

Then it would take me around 10 minutes to go from the parking to the appropriate lectures.

It's good that you're taking this into account. Can you reliably find parking at the time of day you'll be arriving? Do you have fallback options in case the car park is full? Is the parking affordable?

I was wondering, is this a good commute time? Is there anything that I should take into consideration when commuting? Any tips?

It takes me about an hour to commute from home to work and back; about a third of that is on a train, the rest is walking. I don't think that's too bad, but I don't have studying/coursework to do in the evenings.

You'll need to consider the costs of commuting by car -- running the car, wear and tear, fuel, tax, insurance, MOT, cost of parking. Also, make sure you have an alternative plan if your car's not available for whatever reason.
Reply 2
Original post by martin7
Have you actually practised this run on a normal working day at the time of day you'll be travelling? 39 miles in 40 minutes is near enough an average speed of 60mph for the entire journey, and I'm sceptical as to whether that's realistic.

It's good that you're taking this into account. Can you reliably find parking at the time of day you'll be arriving? Do you have fallback options in case the car park is full? Is the parking affordable?

It takes me about an hour to commute from home to work and back; about a third of that is on a train, the rest is walking. I don't think that's too bad, but I don't have studying/coursework to do in the evenings.

You'll need to consider the costs of commuting by car -- running the car, wear and tear, fuel, tax, insurance, MOT, cost of parking. Also, make sure you have an alternative plan if your car's not available for whatever reason.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I actually live near the motorway and the University is also near the motorway, that's why the commute time is so low and 60 miles per hour is something achievable. As for the parking, our University offers parking permits for students and strictly controls them to ensure that there is enough parking for those students that need to bring a car. As for the alternative option, I could take the train if there is something wrong with my car, however, the train takes around 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending