The Student Room Group
Hello, the French application procedure is called Parcoursup and is not yet open.
Original post by sooroor2003
Im considering applying to sorbonne in paris for medicine, and was wondering if anyone knew the application procedure for it. I have my AAA A levels and am fluent in french.

If you are not French you are not allowed to study medicine in France. This has been a problem post Brexit for British Nationals educated in France since early childhood no longer being eligible for medicine and vet courses.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Nobody2u
If you are not French you are not allowed to study medicine in France. This has been a problem post Brexit for British Nationals educated in France since early childhood no longer being eligible for medicine and vet courses.

Im actually an Irish citizen living in the UK so i have an EU passport, could I still be eligible?
https://aljawaz.com/fr/guide-etudes-de-medecine-en-france/

This should explain the system for other European students.
Just a warning about studying medicine in France. Although it is easier to get onto a course, around 50% don't make it onto the second year. Passing the exams is only part of the problem as students compete against each other for a limited number of places in the following year. A student can achieve a pass grade but just not be high enough up the list to continue onto the following year. There has been a reform in the last two years, but as I understand, this has just forced students to do a second degree in parallel, so that if not successful they continue onto the second year of the other degree. Médecine is already hard enough, so doing a second often unrelated degree in parallel is incredibly hard.
If you really would like to study in a French speaking country why not look at Belgium. Non Belgian students are drawn out of a hat once they have proved their basic level of competence in a small exam.
Original post by sooroor2003
Im considering applying to sorbonne in paris for medicine, and was wondering if anyone knew the application procedure for it. I have my AAA A levels and am fluent in french.

Hi, same. I've just finished my A levels (AAB) and I'm interested in Sorbonne for medicine. my french is decent but I don't know if it's decent enough to study the course in french. I've heard about the exams at the end of the first year which is difficult to pass and all and I'm wondering if I should still go for it.
Original post by KosiNoelle
Hi, same. I've just finished my A levels (AAB) and I'm interested in Sorbonne for medicine. my french is decent but I don't know if it's decent enough to study the course in french. I've heard about the exams at the end of the first year which is difficult to pass and all and I'm wondering if I should still go for it.

If your French is good enough to pass the entrance test then you'll be up to speed within a month or two, so if you arrive early to get settled in you'll be fine. As I said above it's not that the exams are harder than the U.K, but because the French system is very much axed on an equality of access to education, they let far more people start. They have a philosophy that some students may not have been outstanding for the bac (without having been awful either) but shine when they find their vocation. The thinning out is done at the end of the first year. Most exams are multiple choice which sounds easy but in fact is very hard. One question with up to 10 replies with multiple being correct. Either you get them all, or the question is marked as failed. Most students are enrolled in private crammers and only go to uni to pick up the lecturers notes and to do the mock exams. The crammers open their doors in August and Uni starts in October so if you go down this route you'll already have 2 months under your belt. The first year is around 16 to 18 hour days of cramming. It then becomes pretty similar to any other uni for medecine.
Original post by username5637224

Hello! I'm new here and I'm interested in studying medicine in France,I'm from Eastern Europe - Bulgaria.So as much as I can understand I don't have the right to study medicine in France,right? Thanks!
Reply 9
Hi Shukri Shukri. Are you a fluent in French?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by kaiko!
Hi Shukri Shukri. Are you a fluent in French?

Not currently,but I think I will be fluent,I will learn the language.
Reply 11
OK, I asked you because I am from Bulgaria and looking for someone fluent in French to teach my daughter. Thank you anyway 😊

Latest

Trending

Trending