The Student Room Group

Housemate accused me of harassment

(Woken up by police this morning to find out a housemate who I haven’t communicated with for over 2 months after a falling out said I had been harassing them on WhatsApp. What do I do now since still living in same home?? )

I had a nice awaking a few days ago by police who came into my room to tell me that someone has reported to them that I have been harassing them so I need to ensure I don’t contact them again or now it will be considered harassment. Whilst they obviously wouldn’t say who it was, they said it relates to some text message I sent in June and even though they saw I apologised and didn’t talk further they have to come and see me. I knew then it was a housemate that I had became good friends with quickly as soon as I moved in but we had a falling out. I sent a message to them after after a few weeks of the argument in early august to hopefully at least clear the air. They said they would reply later but never did. (I only messaged rather than in person as knew they didn’t feel comfortable around me)

2 of the 6 housemates that I spoke about this with before the police came think it was already blown out of proportion and thought things would calm down after a few weeks (back then).

I understand they don’t feel comfortable around me and while I’d love to go into details about why I think it’s totally out of proportion, that isn’t going to change what has already been done and where we’re at now. It’s clear they do not wish to discuss it and with the police coming I cant even try anymore!

I feel a bit lost what to do now. I’m in a contact to next may, should I look at getting out of here ASAP or chatting with more of the housemates. I know one will always side with them but the other 2 I honestly believe they will think too it’s blown out of proportion.

For the police they said this was just a informal warning, so nothing further from their said would be done unless another allegation is made of me contacting them again. If it were to be more serious I really don’t think looking at the full picture the past would be considered harassment but thinking it was just a warning to be careful to not say anything more since they stated they don’t want to talk any further.

I've only been in this house around 5 months so trying to negotiate to the landlord and find a new home is pretty daunting so I just don't know now
:dontknow:
I'd avoid all interaction with the housemate in question and try to find a replacement tenant if that's what your contract requires. Otherwise you are stuck there for 5 months, which is doable but not necessarily going to be a very collegiate atmosphere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending