The Student Room Group

Should I change my course from business management to economics?

Hi, I'm debating whether to change my course from business management to economics. I study at the University of Leicester and I'm dreaming of a CEO job eventually. Should I change my degree or keep it to business management?

Scroll to see replies

Best thing to do is read online about the Econ course you’d like to study and see if it interests you, from my experience Econ is a lot more sought after and prestigious degree to get, but they tend to have higher entry requirements on average
Original post by BlairPeach
Best thing to do is read online about the Econ course you’d like to study and see if it interests you, from my experience Econ is a lot more sought after and prestigious degree to get, but they tend to have higher entry requirements on average

Is econ better to become a CEO or nah? And I've looked at it and I like it all apart from the heavy maths involved. I'm not great at maths. Do you think I should swap anyways or nah? I think I would definitely do well in all of it apart from the maths for sure.
Original post by Chezneyfrenzey
Is econ better to become a CEO or nah? And I've looked at it and I like it all apart from the heavy maths involved. I'm not great at maths. Do you think I should swap anyways or nah? I think I would definitely do well in all of it apart from the maths for sure.

That is why you shouldn't swap to Economics
Original post by harrysbar
That is why you shouldn't swap to Economics

I guess I can always revise it tbf but yh I'm not great. Not the worst but yh I'm not the best either. Got a 6 in GCSE Maths. I'm guessing normal Econ students get 8s/9s in GCSE Maths probably.

There is not that much maths involved and when it is it’s very simple

As for a CEO job, it’s extremely hard to become a CEO in any company so the degree would be irrelevant so much as you perform in a job for however long it takes to reach that level

As for a CEO job, it’s extremely hard to become a CEO in any company so the degree would be irrelevant so much as you perform in a job for however long it takes to reach that level

Surely my best bet would be starting off as a manager and working my way up right?

And I'd probably like to start as a manager maybe and work my way up I guess. If not that then maybe banking.
Hi, I'm debating whether to change my course from business management to economics. I study at the University of Leicester and I'm dreaming of a CEO job eventually. Should I change my degree or keep it to business management?

Doy you do A-level Maths? Do you want to transfer to a better-repped university to do business management?
(edited 2 years ago)
Surely my best bet would be starting off as a manager and working my way up right?

And I'd probably like to start as a manager maybe and work my way up I guess. If not that then maybe banking.

Again you probably won’t start off as a manager straight out of Uni, it all depends how you perform within the job, what industry/field you’re in and how long you’re there for.

If your eventual goal is CEO I don’t see a clear and obvious benefit of changing to Econ in my opinion
(edited 2 years ago)

There is a fair bit of maths in economics degrees (some degrees, notably the stronger departments for the subject, have a lot of maths) and some of it is definitely not simple. There's a reason most (reputable) economics degrees require or prefer A-level Maths from applicants.
Original post by artful_lounger
There is a fair bit of maths in economics degrees (some degrees, notably the stronger departments for the subject, have a lot of maths) and some of it is definitely not simple. There's a reason most (reputable) economics degrees require or prefer A-level Maths from applicants.

Yeah I just realised. I got confused with another post and I was referring to A-Level. Most pure Economics university courses require a strong understanding of maths

My mistake
Yeah I just realised. I got confused with another post and I was referring to A-Level. Most pure Economics university courses require a strong understanding of maths

My mistake

Ah that makes sense, you are right about the A-level though :smile:
Original post by Throwaway48
Doy you do A-level Maths? Do you want to transfer to a better-repped university to do business management?

Leicester is decently repped for business management and the only way I'd try go to a better repped one is if I could get one above that tier. But I don't know any Uni's a tier above leicester that accept transfer students based on first year grades, so I'm probably stuck here tbh. I'm aiming to do a MIM in LBS or LSE after so that should raise my employability up.

And I didnt do A Level Maths but my 6 in GCSE Maths gets me into it.

Again you probably won’t start off as a manager straight out of Uni, it all depends how you perform within the job, what industry/field you’re in and how long you’re there for.

If your eventual goal is CEO I don’t see a clear and obvious benefit of changing to Econ in my opinion

Well if I can't be a CEO or at least a manager then I guess I'd do banking, which they've already told us that they've got loads of graduates doing at top firms.

True though, I won't become a manager straight away. Its just about working my way up.

Do you think I should switch,? I'm average at Maths but didn't revise much at all for my GCSEs in them and got a 6. But obviously the maths in econ will be way harder than GCSE Maths probably.
(edited 2 years ago)
Do you think I should switch,? I'm average at Maths but didn't revise much at all for my GCSEs in them and got a 6. But obviously the maths in econ will be way harder than GCSE Maths probably.

To be fair I found Econ maths modules at university easier than A Level. Mainly because there is a lot less content and it’s geared towards economic models. There was one module in my uni in Year 1 where it was an introduction to Maths with was basically just A-Level Maths & Further Maths but as long as you pass it you will build on that knowledge in the next years
To be fair I found Econ maths modules at university easier than A Level. Mainly because there is a lot less content and it’s geared towards economic models. There was one module in my uni in Year 1 where it was an introduction to Maths with was basically just A-Level Maths & Further Maths but as long as you pass it you will build on that knowledge in the next years

My questions
1) I've looked at the modules for economics and none of the 2nd or 3rd year modules specifically says maths in it. Does this mean that I'm only learning maths in my first year which doesn't even count anyways? (Theres 4 maths topics in first year for econ)
2. Do you think I should switch to economics or not?
My questions
1) I've looked at the modules for economics and none of the 2nd or 3rd year modules specifically says maths in it. Does this mean that I'm only learning maths in my first year which doesn't even count anyways? (Theres 4 maths topics in first year for econ)
2. Do you think I should switch to economics or not?

1. I’m not familiar with your course, you may want to ask someone from that course and check. I imagine if there’s a maths module year 1 it’ll be embedded into various other modules if there are no specific module in 2 and 3
2. If its solely for the reason of more chance to become a CEO, no
1. I’m not familiar with your course, you may want to ask someone from that course and check. I imagine if there’s a maths module year 1 it’ll be embedded into various other modules if there are no specific module in 2 and 3
2. If its solely for the reason of more chance to become a CEO, no

Well I'm probably gonna get a job first in banking and work my way up till I can get a managing job somewhere and then from then on try reach CEO. So do you think with that in mind I should switch? And true it probably is embedded in it.
Leicester is decently repped for business management and the only way I'd try go to a better repped one is if I could get one above that tier. But I don't know any Uni's a tier above leicester that accept transfer students based on first year grades, so I'm probably stuck here tbh. I'm aiming to do a MIM in LBS or LSE after so that should raise my employability up.

Well if I can't be a CEO or at least a manager then I guess I'd do banking, which they've already told us that they've got loads of graduates doing at top firms.

True though, I won't become a manager straight away. Its just about working my way up.

If you aren't actively interested in and motivated by maths you shouldn't do an economics degree.

Also you can become a CEO with any degree...you could do Assyriology and become a CEO eventually, your undergrad degree subject will have zero bearing on that.
If you aren't actively interested in and motivated by maths you shouldn't do an economics degree.

Also you can become a CEO with any degree...you could do Assyriology and become a CEO eventually, your undergrad degree subject will have zero bearing on that.

Thanks for the straightforward answer. I'm not motivated by maths in the slightest so I guess I should just stick to business management then. I'm going to attempt to get first in my class when I graduate for it so that I'll look a bit better.

Anyone think it sounds a little suspicious that Leicester is highly repped for business and that it sends loads of grads to banks. Pretty sure neither is the case.

I've never heard of anyone rating Leicester highly for either business or economics. And it's 100% a non-target school for banking. Either what you've heard about the unis placement into banks is wrong, or it's gonna be back office ops roles which pay the least in the bank. I know rankings are incredibly flawed but the main one has Leicester ranked 49th in the UK for business and management, it's definitely not well repped. Although this doesn't mean you still can't do something good coming from.

I would also note the LSE and LBS are incredibly difficult and and incredibly expensive (both over £33k for 12 months plus living costs) to get in to do a master's at. I would not just blindly assume you can get into them. For LBS' MiM you'll also need to sit the GMAT or the GRE which are standardized international exams which have numerical and verbal sections and LBS sorta need a score above 600. It's not as simple as just getting a first from any uni and then you can get into some of the top business unis in the world. When you look at LBS' current MiM students, the British ones practically all did their undergrad at places like Imperial, UCL and Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending