The Student Room Group

Help me choose a sixth form please

Sixth form A- Emphasises they’ll support students who didn’t take GCSE computer science before (like me) thoroughly
Sixth for B- Only says the minimum requirement is a Grade 6 in maths, but says nothing else. This leads me to believe that ofc they’ll teach the course from scratch, but it won’t be as thorough as Sixth form A, as Sixth form A kept re-emphasising it

Sixth form A- Smaller class sizes so I’ll get more individual support (about 12 people)
Sixth form B- Bigger class sizes, not as much individual support then (20 people or more)

Sixth form A- Rated Good by Ofsted
Sixth form B- Rated Outstanding by Ofsted

Sixth form A- Has a lower average score than sixth form B
Sixth form B- Has a higher average score than sixth form A & more students getting into Oxbridge (what I want)

Sixth form A- fewer people so I may not have many people to get along with (but idc that much about this)
Sixth form B- more people (but idc that much about this)
(edited 2 years ago)
have you gone to their open evenings?
that usually helps
Reply 2
Original post by Violet5567
have you gone to their open evenings?
that usually helps

No :frown: completely missed both of them due to disorganisation, this back to bite me in the ***
B. A only offers class size, since you want to get into oxbridge, teachers at B will be better suited/prepared to guide you through the ucas application process increasing the likelihood of an offer.

B may have larger classes but im assuming that the teaching/ teaching methodologies are different so its better suited to a class.
Original post by Idc123
No :frown: completely missed both of them due to disorganisation, this back to bite me in the ***

haha same i had covid :frown:
have you tried contacting them? some of them do tours
Reply 5
Original post by Violet5567
haha same i had covid :frown:
have you tried contacting them? some of them do tours

Sixth form A and B did virtual tours, which I watched. I also emailed sixth form B about computer science but I got no response
Can you see the breakdown of the results they get? If the lower average score is because almost nobody gets top grades, that's rather different to if it's because there's a wider ability range in the classes but the top end of it is still getting A*s.

You haven't compared travel time, which may be a big issue if you're going to lose a couple of hours out of every day for one but not the other (especially if it's a form of transport which isn't time you could use to study).
Reply 7
Original post by skylark2
Can you see the breakdown of the results they get? If the lower average score is because almost nobody gets top grades, that's rather different to if it's because there's a wider ability range in the classes but the top end of it is still getting A*s.

You haven't compared travel time, which may be a big issue if you're going to lose a couple of hours out of every day for one but not the other (especially if it's a form of transport which isn't time you could use to study).

I can’t find the breakdown of their results, but it’s fine since I decided I’ll go to sixth form B, thank you :smile:
They’re about the same distance away from my house
I have a feeling B is my Sixth Form. The entry requirement was a 6 in Maths (never did it at GCSE too) and I switched subjects because I just felt completely lost with no support sessions in that subject. Switching from CS to Psychology is a decision I'll never regret.

Computer Science is difficult and very competitive so you'll need to have a good ounce of confidence.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Idc123
I can’t find the breakdown of their results, but it’s fine since I decided I’ll go to sixth form B, thank you :smile:
They’re about the same distance away from my house

Do you mean you'll apply - you can't know they'll offer you a place. Check over-subscription criteria too.
Reply 10
Original post by ah6100tsr
I have a feeling B is my Sixth Form. The entry requirement was a 6 in Maths (never did it at GCSE too) and I switched subjects because I just felt completely lost with no support sessions in that subject. Switching from CS to Psychology is a decision I'll never regret.

Computer Science is difficult and very competitive so you'll need to have a good ounce of confidence.

Thank you for such valuable information!

Do you recommend that I buy a revision guide for GCSE computer science and make some notes over the summer, as well as use codeacademy (starting from now) to learn a few programming languages? That would give me useful knowledge right? Enough to not feel lost in class
Reply 11
Original post by Idc123
Sixth form A- Emphasises they’ll support students who didn’t take GCSE computer science before (like me) thoroughly
Sixth for B- Only says the minimum requirement is a Grade 6 in maths, but says nothing else. This leads me to believe that ofc they’ll teach the course from scratch, but it won’t be as thorough as Sixth form A, as Sixth form A kept re-emphasising it

Sixth form A- Smaller class sizes so I’ll get more individual support (about 12 people)
Sixth form B- Bigger class sizes, not as much individual support then (20 people or more)

Sixth form A- Rated Good by Ofsted
Sixth form B- Rated Outstanding by Ofsted

Sixth form A- Has a lower average score than sixth form B
Sixth form B- Has a higher average score than sixth form A & more students getting into Oxbridge (what I want)

Sixth form A- fewer people so I may not have many people to get along with (but idc that much about this)
Sixth form B- more people (but idc that much about this)

B- even though the class is bigger, if the teaching quality is better then it's worth it
Original post by Idc123

Do you recommend that I buy a revision guide for GCSE computer science and make some notes over the summer, as well as use codeacademy (starting from now) to learn a few programming languages? That would give me useful knowledge right? Enough to not feel lost in class

The content is largely the same between GCSE and A-level Computer Science, so I wouldn't bother.
Getting comfortable with Python (if the sixth-form uses it) will be very helpful.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Idc123
Sixth form A and B did virtual tours, which I watched. I also emailed sixth form B about computer science but I got no response

That’s not a good sign of their pastoral or academic support, if they’re this disorganised. Major red flag, something I learnt during my uni application.
Original post by Idc123

Yes, any exam board will do. Make sure your notes are simple and effective (time-wise). Write some definitions down for all topics, it'll make life a bit easier. Try to finish your notes as soon as possible so you have enough time to read and reinforce them. Once all the GCSE's are over, give yourself a short break then start, an early start is strongly recommended. My teacher mentioned pseudocode more than anything so you'll want to understand that (I didn't). Don't go too hard on the notes, A-Level doesn't bring a whole lot of new stuff on the table.

I wouldn't recommend Codeacademy, it's fine for most people but not for Sixth Form students. I'd get a small book on learning Python (very simple, as far as programming languages go and it's used a lot in CS classes).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by ah6100tsr
Yes, any exam board will do. Make sure your notes are simple and effective (time-wise). Write some definitions down for all topics, it'll make life a bit easier. Try to finish your notes as soon as possible so you have enough time to read and reinforce them. Once all the GCSE's are over, give yourself a short break then start, an early start is strongly recommended. My teacher mentioned pseudocode more than anything so you'll want to understand that (I didn't). Don't go too hard on the notes, A-Level doesn't bring a whole lot of new stuff on the table.

I wouldn't recommend Codeacademy, it's fine for most people but not for Sixth Form students. I'd get a small book on learning Python (very simple, as far as programming languages go and it's used a lot in CS classes).

Thank you so much, It’s really appreciated :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending