The Student Room Group

Art Portfolio

Recently I’ve chosen an art and computing based degree in a difficult university to get into and I’d like to ask for any help or tips on how to make a good art portfolio.

I have ideas and have already started working on things but I’ve only got about 2 things at the moment that I could put in the portfolio. Do you think it’s worth trying to make a good portfolio in a couple of months? I’m going to try my best to finish a project once a week so I’ll have enough items to showcase my skills.

Also are you meant to send a sketchbook to the university? It doesn’t say so in the university website but I’ve heard some talk regarding sketchbooks.
Reply 1
Original post by SomeoneYouKnow34
Recently I’ve chosen an art and computing based degree in a difficult university to get into and I’d like to ask for any help or tips on how to make a good art portfolio.

I have ideas and have already started working on things but I’ve only got about 2 things at the moment that I could put in the portfolio. Do you think it’s worth trying to make a good portfolio in a couple of months? I’m going to try my best to finish a project once a week so I’ll have enough items to showcase my skills.

Also are you meant to send a sketchbook to the university? It doesn’t say so in the university website but I’ve heard some talk regarding sketchbooks.

Hello,

I did a degree that required a portfolio at interview stages (architecture) so I dunno how helpful you would find this. Ideally, if the university hasn't specified, you want to be able to show them that you can think creatively and that you have a range of skills. Usually, a sketchbook is handy to show at interviews unless you scan them and include them in your portfolio (sheets). If you feel like the sketchbook work shows how well you think creatively I'd scan the drawings and have them included in your portfolio. Depending on how much experience you have with photoshop I'd include the drawings in a way that looks like it was done on the paper (so no background if that makes sense).

if you are currently doing work or if you have current work I'd use that, to begin with and if you feel like you don't have enough that is where I'd think to have more work. The sooner you gather everything together the easier it is for you to see how much or little work you have to show and usually if there is a page/ file size limit it is good to work from there.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.
Original post by SomeoneYouKnow34

Hi, @SomeoneYouKnow34!

My name is Rohnak and I'm in my second year of BA The Art of Computer Animation at Escape Studios. It's definitely an art and computing based degree like yours, so hopefully I can help with portfolio advice!

In short, a portfolio is a collection of about 10 to 15 pieces that showcase your skills as an artist. The definition is broad, and a portfolio can contain anything from digital art, to collage and sculpture, to traditional paintings and sketches. Anything is valid. The only restrictions come from meeting the requirements of the university that you want to get into. Do they ask for evidence of specific skills? (E.G. Life drawing, 3D models, skill with a specific software) What format do they want you to send work in?

You can double check this on the university's website. Most have a page or a video on portfolio advice. Make sure you're delivering what they're asking for, and you'll be fine!

It's feasible to put together a portfolio in a couple of months, but it's going to need a lot of hours each day. Quality is always more important than quantity to these institutions. I would say that you should prioritize making a few pieces that meet the standard of the university rather than rush and create a lot of projects that aren't as good.

Lastly, the sketchbook question really depends on the university. If it's not mentioned on their website then it's unlikely that you need one, but I'd recommend emailing them just in case.

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions about the process then I'd be happy to answer. :smile:
Good luck!

Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest