The Student Room Group

Loneliness at UCL

We only have 4 hours of in-person seminars in my course, so I only have to go to school twice a week. Whenever I do meet someone, we just walk out of the building together and then part from there. I've had conversations with 3 or 4 people from my course but I don't know or like them enough to want to hang out with them, and I think they feel the same. Every social interaction feels like a one-night stand. We talk once over coffee and never see each other again.

I joined many societies but all we do is work. I'm smaller and non-athletic so I don't want to join any sports societies. I have three flatmates and one makes racist and sexist jokes all the time. I only really get along with one of them.

I feel very lonely and it's starting to affect my academic performance. I just wish I had some close friends I can talk to and go on walks at night with.
(edited 2 years ago)
start playing league :smile:
Original post by Tir02020202
We only have 4 hours of in-person seminars in my course, so I only have to go to school twice a week. Whenever I do meet someone, we just walk out of the building together and then part from there. I've had conversations with 3 or 4 people from my course but I don't know or like them enough to want to hang out with them, and I think they feel the same. Every social interaction feels like a one-night stand. We talk once over coffee and never see each other again.

I joined many societies but all we do is work. I'm smaller and non-athletic so I don't want to join any sports societies. I have three flatmates and one makes racist and sexist jokes all the time. I only really get along with one of them.

I feel very lonely and it's starting to affect my academic performance. I just wish I had some close friends I can talk to and go on walks at night with.

Hiya, @Tir02020202

I completely understand how you feel, it can be really difficult to meet new people that you click really well with, even when you move to a new place and attend a university. Finding "your people" is a challenge in life, but you've gotta keep trying. Attend events in your local area, keep an eye on university emails for this, I know I get quite a lot of these which are good opportunities to meet people. In my first year of university, it was all done online so I didn't even get a chance to properly meet people from my course. I'd definitely try organising more outings with people that you get along with from your course to see if you have any further common interests that you haven't touched upon yet in conversation.

I hope you're able to meet more like-minded people as the year goes on, uni can be especially difficult without good people around. Best of luck!
Quinn - Official SHU Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending