The Student Room Group

mental health and life

so i’ve applied to medicine this year like a headless chicken. i haven’t heard anything back but no rejections which some may say us a good sign. however, i feel like if i did get an interview i wouldn’t be happy as most people would.

it’s not because anyone forced me to do it, it’s because now i have no clue. and if someone were to ask me what would you do/ what do you like instead i wouldn’t know the answer to it.

if by the slim chance i do get an interview (my application isn’t that strong lmao) and then get an offer, i think i would automatically defer it to next year if it’s allowed.

i feel like i’ve been working so much since like y9 and mentally can’t do something next year.it would be the only year out i can do.

tbh there’s no end question i just felt like ranting. actually , maybe is there anyone else who is/was in this position. i think the worst feeling is you not knowing what to do. like i know people who love music, so dropped out of med school to go to music school. or people who loved physics more then switched. for me it’s like i don’t love anything and i thought medicine could be something for me to love. i obviously haven’t got there yet to love it but i don’t want to make a big wrong decision
Original post by aliyah.04x
so i’ve applied to medicine this year like a headless chicken. i haven’t heard anything back but no rejections which some may say us a good sign. however, i feel like if i did get an interview i wouldn’t be happy as most people would.

it’s not because anyone forced me to do it, it’s because now i have no clue. and if someone were to ask me what would you do/ what do you like instead i wouldn’t know the answer to it.

if by the slim chance i do get an interview (my application isn’t that strong lmao) and then get an offer, i think i would automatically defer it to next year if it’s allowed.

i feel like i’ve been working so much since like y9 and mentally can’t do something next year.it would be the only year out i can do.

tbh there’s no end question i just felt like ranting. actually , maybe is there anyone else who is/was in this position. i think the worst feeling is you not knowing what to do. like i know people who love music, so dropped out of med school to go to music school. or people who loved physics more then switched. for me it’s like i don’t love anything and i thought medicine could be something for me to love. i obviously haven’t got there yet to love it but i don’t want to make a big wrong decision

It is really important that you try to resolve any issues that you may be facing, so you don't go down a dark hole. Also, not knowing what you want to do in life does not necessarily translate to mental health. There are lots of people who have no clue what they want to do in life.

I’d strongly suggest that you reconsider medicine, if you are not sure about it. It is a long and stressful path that demands focus, conviction and dedication. It would be dangerous to have a doctor who is not really sure.

My suggestion would be to take a gap year and figure your life out. If you get an offer then defer it. Use the year to “find” yourself. You should know that you don't have to know/have a life plan by 18/19. It is fine to pursue any interesting subjects.

Finally, have you considered the Arts and Sciences course at UCL, it could be an approach to select different combinations to fit your interest.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/arts-sciences/
Thread has been moved to the ‘Medicine’ forum. :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending