The Student Room Group

Compelling personal reasons second time.

Hello!

I applied for CPR last year due to mental health issues and being newly diagnosed and going through therapy. I was accepted and given 1 year funding discretion. Great! However, I stayed on the same course and came to realise I did not want to be studying this course. I had not had time to develop an idea of what I really wanted for myself due to making decisions in line with my mental state at the time. Now that I have had therapy and had time to become a whole person a lot of decisions I made in my life are not the same decisions I would make now. This includes my course. I failed the year as I had no interest in my current course anymore.

I really want to change my course and start again. I would need 1 year discretion again and I’m wondering if people think this is even possible.

This is not as simple as me just wanting to change course. My mental health clouded my judgement for years of my life and I did not have the capacity to make the right decisions for myself or understand what I wanted. It’s hard to make life changing decisions such as my university journey when you are clouded by mental health.

Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Original post by Aimeeuxox
Hello!

I applied for CPR last year due to mental health issues and being newly diagnosed and going through therapy. I was accepted and given 1 year funding discretion. Great! However, I stayed on the same course and came to realise I did not want to be studying this course. I had not had time to develop an idea of what I really wanted for myself due to making decisions in line with my mental state at the time. Now that I have had therapy and had time to become a whole person a lot of decisions I made in my life are not the same decisions I would make now. This includes my course. I failed the year as I had no interest in my current course anymore.

I really want to change my course and start again. I would need 1 year discretion again and I’m wondering if people think this is even possible.

This is not as simple as me just wanting to change course. My mental health clouded my judgement for years of my life and I did not have the capacity to make the right decisions for myself or understand what I wanted. It’s hard to make life changing decisions such as my university journey when you are clouded by mental health.

Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi there, You can apply for CPR more than once. We would require the evidence to reflect the dates of the academic year you were studying. You’ll need to send a letter to us detailing your Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) along with any evidence of your mitigating circumstances.

Where applicable, we recommend the evidence is:

- Signed and dated
- Confirms the reason why you could not continue with your studies and
- When this took place

Photocopies of all evidence can be accepted and this evidence can include:

- Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
- Letter from HEP on headed paper
- Letter from Social Services on headed paper
- Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest