The Student Room Group

Struggling with what to do

There’s only about 5 month left until as level exam, I know a BBB is a far stretch from CEE, but I know that they’ll be my predicted grades for ucas so Im kinda scared- I haven’t started revising. I know it’s very bad, I’ve been so tired after school that id fall asleep and wake up after 2 hours and not have enough time to revise and do work as I feel sleepy at 9 ( ngl I do procrastinate a lot too) I should just push myself to work but Idk what to do.
I found a revision technique called Scribble ( reading textbook and writing what I remember and repeat) and I’ve calculated how many pages I should do a day until max. 6th Feb- which is a total of 19 pgs and for each page it’s approximately 17 min but I don’t think I can read a whole page for 17 minutes w/out putting my full focus on the page so I opted for 20 min and in total it’s about 6.5 hrs in a day so then I only have about 30- 3 hr free time which seems like quite a bit but it doesn’t take into consideration any breaks, travel, e.t.c .
The only reason I chose this was because it’s a more direct way of learning rather than having to make notes and THEN revising it which may seem time consuming. If I started earlier, I would’ve had time to at least try some other revision techniques but I’m on the edge now.

What should I do?? Pls help, am I stressing too much?

PS sorry for the long message, I wanted to ask here because I don’t think my teachers will like it if I ask them as I’ve asked them how to revise once before and i know they mean good but I’m too scared to ask, I have a support from those close to me but I’m too used to them to listen srsly if u get me. I hope it’s not if topic, but I’d like to think that being a little stressed can motivate me but am I rlly “stressed”? I’m not sure...
Original post by Anonymous
There’s only about 5 month left until as level exam, I know a BBB is a far stretch from CEE, but I know that they’ll be my predicted grades for ucas so Im kinda scared- I haven’t started revising. I know it’s very bad, I’ve been so tired after school that id fall asleep and wake up after 2 hours and not have enough time to revise and do work as I feel sleepy at 9 ( ngl I do procrastinate a lot too) I should just push myself to work but Idk what to do.
I found a revision technique called Scribble ( reading textbook and writing what I remember and repeat) and I’ve calculated how many pages I should do a day until max. 6th Feb- which is a total of 19 pgs and for each page it’s approximately 17 min but I don’t think I can read a whole page for 17 minutes w/out putting my full focus on the page so I opted for 20 min and in total it’s about 6.5 hrs in a day so then I only have about 30- 3 hr free time which seems like quite a bit but it doesn’t take into consideration any breaks, travel, e.t.c .
The only reason I chose this was because it’s a more direct way of learning rather than having to make notes and THEN revising it which may seem time consuming. If I started earlier, I would’ve had time to at least try some other revision techniques but I’m on the edge now.

PS sorry for the long message, I wanted to ask here because I don’t think my teachers will like it if I ask them as I’ve asked them how to revise once before and i know they mean good but I’m too scared to ask, I have a support from those close to me but I’m too used to them to listen srsly if u get me. I hope it’s not if topic, but I’d like to think that being a little stressed can motivate me but am I rlly “stressed”? I’m not sure...

5 months is plenty of time to revise AS content. Which subjects do you do? Make a plan, schedule out up to 3 hours a day for revision. Revise smart don’t just read your textbook. Do practice questions, blurting, flash cards, active recall etc. Worst case scenario you can resit year 12. Not everyone finishes A levels at the same time and that’s okay.
Reply 2
Original post by ashvinsingh
5 months is plenty of time to revise AS content. Which subjects do you do? Make a plan, schedule out up to 3 hours a day for revision. Revise smart don’t just read your textbook. Do practice questions, blurting, flash cards, active recall etc. Worst case scenario you can resit year 12. Not everyone finishes A levels at the same time and that’s okay.

Thanks for the help! I do Bio Chem Maths- content heavy subjects...Though in 5 months maybe quite a bit, in that time I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make notes/flash cards/e.t.c , be able to understand it whilst revising and then have a go at practice questions when my first exam is on 15th of may. So I’m trying to opt for the Scribble technique as I’ll be able to directly learn the textbook but I should have started before as it’s quite overwhelming to do + 22 pages/day. I have snaprevise videos that I can take notes from and make flashcards,but since I’m not really sure how to make it(condense info.) from the flashcards I could do the blurting method is what I’m thinking, but will there be enough time to practice past papers on time? I don’t think so. I acknowledge that it’s okay to retake Yr12 but my parents have been through a lot and I don’t want to upset them even more...

What should I do? I feel scared now...
Thanks for the help! I do Bio Chem Maths- content heavy subjects...Though in 5 months maybe quite a bit, in that time I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make notes/flash cards/e.t.c , be able to understand it whilst revising and then have a go at practice questions when my first exam is on 15th of may. So I’m trying to opt for the Scribble technique as I’ll be able to directly learn the textbook but I should have started before as it’s quite overwhelming to do + 22 pages/day. I have snaprevise videos that I can take notes from and make flashcards,but since I’m not really sure how to make it(condense info.) from the flashcards I could do the blurting method is what I’m thinking, but will there be enough time to practice past papers on time? I don’t think so. I acknowledge that it’s okay to retake Yr12 but my parents have been through a lot and I don’t want to upset them even more...

What should I do? I feel scared now...

Maths - practice questions only no notes
Chemistry - summary cards for all of the as level spec won’t take long + practice questions
Biology - summary cards on the as level spec, practice extended answer questions
Your parents will understand if you resit year 12. But to suffer silently is not ok, tell your parents and tutors you’re struggling and ask for advice.
Reply 4
Original post by ashvinsingh
Maths - practice questions only no notes
Chemistry - summary cards for all of the as level spec won’t take long + practice questions
Biology - summary cards on the as level spec, practice extended answer questions
Your parents will understand if you resit year 12. But to suffer silently is not ok, tell your parents and tutors you’re struggling and ask for advice.

I would ask but I’ve asked them help before to revise but I still haven’t started- won’t they get angry?
I would ask but I’ve asked them help before to revise but I still haven’t started- won’t they get angry?

No, your teachers get paid to educate you. They won’t get angry
Reply 6

I think you are stressing too much OP :smile: 5 months is plenty of time; I managed to do ok for similar subjects in 3 months with plenty of rest in between.

Once you'd start once, I think you'll find that you are actually alright with doing the work/revision.

Maybe you'd want to have someone to talk with and to hold you accountable? And your teachers should be ok with you asking this type of questions, it's in their job descriptions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest