The Student Room Group

How would you describe university?

What was/is it like for you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xiphos

Hi!
I'm currently a second year student at the university of Kent and experience so far has been very rich.

The transition to university is a big step for everyone and moving out of the safety of your household in a space filled with strangers can be daunting to many, but getting to know new people was and still is a huge thrill. I joined Kent during the pandemic and we spent most of our months in lockdown but when things started to open up, I met so many people and I found that students around campus are very friendly, talented and smart. I have joined multiple societies to meet more like-minded people while cultivating my passions while gaining experiences that can boost my CV.

Living independently can be both fun and challenging at the same time: you might not always find time to take care of yourself as you would at home, but I have been able to find a rhythm that helps me balance my life in the most efficient way possible. I felt like it was very important to maintain strong ties with my family back home so I never felt particularly homesick and I can get help and support from them if I don't feel like sharing anything with my friends here on campus. I find it quite nice how Kent has its own pharmacy, medical centre and nursing service, which not a lot of universities have: it is very useful to check up on yourself every now and again.

As an architecture student, the academic part of my university life can be very stressful. However, I fight the urge to work tirelessly by deliberately taking breaks, going to networking events on campus, practicing volleyball with the university team or just relaxing. I believe that pacing my is the healthiest way to get my work done without getting sick or running out of energy. It is extremely helpful to talk to my coursemates to check my progress and get inspiration for new ideas.

I am a very social person and I am very happy with how Kent university puts so much effort into big or small events that all students to come together, starting from freshers week! There is always something to do and I believe that anyone who is bothered enough to find their place here can fit in. In case nothing is happening on campus, the town centre is just a bus away for day or night out. I really like how London is also just one train away: students often go to the capital for the weekend!

Overall, my experience at university is very calm and enriching, and taking one day at a time allows me to enjoy it.

I hope this helps! If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Tracy
- UKC Rep
Original post by Xiphos

Hey, @Xiphos

The university experience definitely varies from person to person, but I can give an insight based on my life here at Sheffield Hallam. I'm currently in my second year, studying Creative Writing, but due to the course being taught predominantly online last year, it almost feels like my first.

In general, university life is a drastic change in your day-to-day life. You'll likely be moving to a new place, meeting plenty of new people and experiencing life independently possibly for the first time. However, for the first time in your education, you finally get to choose exactly what you want to study in an area that you love, which I found really refreshing. There are plenty of new opportunities and experiences that come from university and it most definitely will change the entire direction of your life and hopefully cater it towards something you really enjoy. Not only that, but you'll likely meet some of your life-long friends at university, too.

Even though it sounds like a lot, and you are thrown in the deep end a little, everyone does find their way. From learning how to live independently to balancing social, educational and work-life properly, it all comes with time. I like to think that it's the making of you, it shapes you. I definitely think it's at least worth looking into if you want to go, whether it's for the nightlife, studies, social or work opportunities, it's a great way to just get out there.

I hope this helps!
Quinn - Official Student Ambassador
Original post by Xiphos

Awful.
If you're studying maths at a uk top 10 uni? Well, well you're in for a bit of a shock. CS pretty hard also, everything else not too bad... I can elaborate further on maths if you interested..
Generic thread about uni: exists
Uni rep accounts: it's free real estate
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Generic thread about uni: exists
Uni rep accounts: it's free real estate

Accurate
Original post by Xiphos

Hi there,

I hope you are well :biggrin:

I always say to everyone that University is definitely a 'what you make it' experience. If you want that wild, stereotypical 'university' lifestyle then you can achieve that! But equally, if you want a more chill / wholesome university experience, then you can achieve that also. It's definitely down to each individual. There's such a wide variety of the kinds of people at University, so as long as you keep putting yourself out there and attempting to make friends - then naturally friends will come your way to form your Uni experience :smile:

I'm having the best time at University, so much so that I've decided I'm staying on for another year because I'm not too sure I want it to end!

Ana
UoL Ambassador :smile:
I studied externally, so I didn't have the "full" uni experience. However, going remote was one of the best decisions I could've made for my education. I went from a student barely scraping by at GCSE and A Level (C, D, D, E) to straight As and Bs. The performance difference was night and day when I studied my own way for myself and didn't have to be in a classroom learning the system's way.
Reply 9
Great
Alright atm nothing special yet. Hoping to change next semester
Original post by Xiphos

Hi there @Xiphos, how are you?

So far, my time at uni has been great! I think the best thing about university is that because there are so many opportunities and things to get involved with, you get to shape your experience into something you really want.

It can be daunting to adjust to the initial change, but I think that when you first start university, if you just take things one day at a time, you soon get into the swing of things. Having this outlook certainly helped me, anyway!

Konnie 😊
It's a scary fun an experience i think is the best way to put it.

The first year is rally scary to start with that moment you're left on your own is terrifying then the angle come round and round you all up for a night on the town which can get very messy. Freshers is a blur you get in to the lectures and hopefully you'll find them interesting after a few months you get into the swing of things find some friends etc and that's all good. Then of course in May you have a little study leave and exams you goo on summer break maybe get a summer job go on holiday and then second year.

Second year is really cool you know how the uni works so you can take full advantage of everything available to you clubs society trips etc and the lectures get even better they weren't bad to begin with but they are even better now. It's also a bit stressful because your marks matter now but thats to be expected.

Third year is when it all comes together the exams and assignments get a bit harder and you have your final projection can still go clubbing and the like but you might need to cut back bit and maybe work a bit harder. You have your finals and degree show then it all ends you'll feel a bit lost like a pice of you has been taken away it's actually bit sad. Oh and you also get graduation.

Balance is the key you need to work hard but also take time to enjoy yourself My course leader said over all you should do about 35 hours of work a week like a full time job that includes time in uni.
Reply 13
Brilliant, thanks to the (temporary) financial independence it is providing. That's really it for me, don't care much for the degree itself.
The university community (when I went, pre-covid) is what makes it for me. Though I've found this exists less at larger institutions - smaller unis tend to have much more of a close-knit feel and you feel part of something. Cheesy, I know.

And then you go to lectures and you remember that not everything in life is fun. :nothing:

However, I knew I was studying a degree for the purpose of my chosen career at the end of it (Teaching) rather than purely for the passion/interest in studying that subject. I find some people (about 10-20% of classmates) really really got themselves invested in their subject material.
Studied/study at university pre, mid and post-pandemic. It’s a normal learning experience building on my academic journey but it’s not an especially momentous period in my life.
Original post by Xiphos

It's okay, the occasional break downs, the desire to pull your hair out, the want to make friends but not being able to find anybody to be friends with, the questioning who you are and why you chose your course, the feeling of running away. By now, I'm gona assume this just naturally comes with uni. Idk.
undergrad: hated it.
postgrad: loved it!

just dont let people manipulate or guilt trip you into going somewhere or studying something that your heart is not 100% in :h:
Reply 18
Original post by Xiphos

It was a chance to remake myself and to experience the party lifestyle albeit briefly and a taste of freedom from my parents which was both positive and negative. Very stressful in the weeks before exams but I could also completely relax for months between them without feeling like a loser. Overall, i'd recommend it!
Original post by Xiphos

It was several buildings mostly built of brick in landscaped gardens. There were these halls with seats in rows on a slope where you could see the lecturer. They were called lecture theatres. There were other halls where the students lived and another hall called a sports hall and a big hall where we had exams ☹️ I don’t like exams though. There was also a library with lots and lots of books.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending