The Student Room Group

Dentistry

Hi, I was wondering if I could get in to a dental school with these grades in GCSEs and A levels:

English Lang and Lit: 5
History: 6
Health and Social: P2
Computer Science: 7
Combined Science: 9-8
Business: 5
Maths: 7
Stats: 6

A level Biology: A
A level Chemistry: A
OCR Cambridge Technicals Level 3 IT: Distinction
You got a Distinction in OCR Cambridge Technicals Level 3, so why not study BSc/MSci Computer Science? :s-smilie:

You do have A's in Biology and Chemistry but usually there is a 3rd A-Level offered.

I know a friend got into Liverpool Dentistry with just A*A* in Science GCSE and the rest were A/B/C grades and another with mostly A/B grades got into Keele for Medicine.

Your grade in English Language is a 5 and most Dental schools require at least a 6 or above. Business is a 5 which won't matter too much. History and Statistics at 6 is good. Also, 7 in Maths is a huge advantage and looked upon favourably by admissions tutors and 7 in Computer Science is fantastic too. Additionally you have 9-8 in Science which is a very strong grade.

You meet the entry requirements for all universities with the exception of a 6 in English Language! But you really need to get in touch with the Dental Schools admissions tutors and ask them on their views about your application to Dentistry!!! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
You got a Distinction in OCR Cambridge Technicals Level 3, so why not study BSc/MSci Computer Science? :s-smilie:

You do have A's in Biology and Chemistry but usually there is a 3rd A-Level offered.

I know a friend got into Liverpool Dentistry with just A*A* in Science GCSE and the rest were A/B/C grades and another with mostly A/B grades got into Keele for Medicine.

Your grade in English Language is a 5 and most Dental schools require at least a 6 or above. Business is a 5 which won't matter too much. History and Statistics at 6 is good. Also, 7 in Maths is a huge advantage and looked upon favourably by admissions tutors and 7 in Computer Science is fantastic too. Additionally you have 9-8 in Science which is a very strong grade.

You meet the entry requirements for all universities with the exception of a 6 in English Language! But you really need to get in touch with the Dental Schools admissions tutors and ask them on their views about your application to Dentistry!!! :smile:

Thank you so much for the response, I greatly appreciate it👍
You need a 6 in GCSE english language and a 3rd A-level for dentistry. You will also need a high UCAT score to be able to apply strategically to less GCSE-heavy unis.
Reply 4
Original post by hungrysalamander
You need a 6 in GCSE english language and a 3rd A-level for dentistry. You will also need a high UCAT score to be able to apply strategically to less GCSE-heavy unis.

Could I ask what you mean by apply strategically?
Original post by apemode
Could I ask what you mean by apply strategically?

Different unis take different things into account for admissions. Some may focus on your GCSEs more than others, some may look at your UCAT score differently than others, etc. So, say your gcse grades aren’t particularly strong, you would want to avoid applying to those unis that factor high performance at GCSE highly into shortlisting decisions.
Reply 6
Original post by heccyeah
Different unis take different things into account for admissions. Some may focus on your GCSEs more than others, some may look at your UCAT score differently than others, etc. So, say your gcse grades aren’t particularly strong, you would want to avoid applying to those unis that factor high performance at GCSE highly into shortlisting decisions.

Ohh I get it thank you so much 😊

Quick Reply

Latest