14 March Stats.PNG

Physical Health

Spoiler

Mental Health

Spoiler

Relaxing Things Achieved

Spoiler

Status of March Goals

1. Actually working on my cross stitch now! Though I will admit that finishing half of it may have been over ambitious, even though it's only small and I'd already started it
2. I went to the gym once, baby steps.
3. This is looking like it may not happen this month, but I am keen to try and go when I can find the time. It's just very time-consuming to do all the travelling and then changing when I can barely do anything when I'm there
4. So far so good. Didn't complete the assessment for this week as well as I had wanted to, but I guess I predicted that when I referenced the perfectionism I was struggling with it last week. I haven't done as much this weekend as I had wanted to, but hopefully the off-work free time will give me more room to do the stuff for this week

Last Week's Risks

Spoiler

Next Week's Risks

Spoiler

Lookahead

Spoiler

Tags
@BurstingBubbles
Weekly Update 9

Physical Health

Spoiler

Mental Health

Spoiler

Relaxing Things Achieved

Spoiler

Status of March Goals

1. I don't think I've done any more cross stitch this week
2. Didn't get to the gym and didn't do any of my at home physio. I should try and do some next week.
3. Yeah, this isn't going to happen
4. Yay! Actually doing this. I have all my assessments and extensions planned out (ie when I'm going to use them) and am staying on top of that for the time being. The assessment I handed in last week is possibly the first I've handed in on its official deadline since my operation

Last Week's Risks

Spoiler

Next Week's Risks

Spoiler

Lookahead

Spoiler

Tags
@BurstingBubbles
Physio Update 3

So my physio was finally disappointed in me for not doing my exercises, especially since I wasn't doing the ones I'd been set for the gym nor the ones I'd been set for home. I thought that I might get some credit for managing to go swimming in the past week but I didn't, she just said that would be good for my mental health but not my rehab (which I personally disagree with but oh well she's the expert).

I had acupuncture again and she taped my back, the latter of which I think should be good because my posture hasn't been the best in the past few weeks. I'm not sure why I've suddenly stopped paying attention to it - I have a theory that it could genuinely be to do with how sunny it has been and that I've been slouching because of it to not get the sun in my eyes.

I'm not feeling too bad about the criticism though because I do genuinely believe that I've turned a corner this week and that I'll be able to focus on doing more physio and more exercise in the coming month, even though I have my final deadlines.

Tag: @BurstingBubbles
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by BrutusofBritain
Physio Update 3

So my physio was finally disappointed in me for not doing my exercises, especially since I wasn't doing the ones I'd been set for the gym nor the ones I'd been set for home. I thought that I might get some credit for managing to go swimming in the past week but I didn't, she just said that would be good for my mental health but not my rehab (which I personally disagree with but oh well she's the expert).

I had acupuncture again and she taped my back, the latter of which I think should be good because my posture hasn't been the best in the past few weeks. I'm not sure why I've suddenly stopped paying attention to it - I have a theory that it could genuinely be to do with how sunny it has been and that I've been slouching because of it to not get the sun in my eyes.

I'm not feeling too bad about the criticism though because I do genuinely believe that I've turned a corner this week and that I'll be able to focus on doing more physio and more exercise in the coming month, even though I have my final deadlines.

Tag: @BurstingBubbles

Really hope that you can focus on completing your physio :smile:
Weekly Update 10

So the last time I posted with my fun table I had studied 17hr 30m that week (w/e 13th March). Since then everything has been crazy and I've been struggling massively with my mental (and physical post-physio) health to just get through it all.

w/e 20 - 19hr 50m
w/e 27 - 6hr 40m
w/e 03 - 20hr 50m
w/e 10 - 25h

On top of contact hours and working 15h a week it's been very difficult to keep on top of everything and taking care of myself. But, as of today, I have only a month left.

I'm currently working on my dissertation. It's due on Friday (which is an extension) and am feeling the pressure of it. I have another deadline due on Friday too but that's maybe less important(?). I was really into what I was working on for my dissertation when I started properly working on it on Friday, but I've got to the point where I've started to doubt myself quite a lot and am not fully convinced that I've actually got anything good to write about. I'm trying to push through it, but my motivation for getting it done has dried up this afternoon - though I'll admit that's maybe because I need to start actually writing it now.

I may post updates on here more regularly this week and make it into a study blog for the week just because I will be a complete mess if I don't get this done, and will probably be a complete mess at points this week which therefore comes under the category of wellness. Realistically, I just don't have anything else I can afford to spend time on (I've mostly got this week off work).

Once this is all over and done with I'll finally be able to focus on recovering physically and mentally from the past few years.

@BurstingBubbles
Final Uni Moments - Update 1

What I have done today so far
2hr 20 studying
1hr speaking practice
1hr 30 meeting

Status of Assignments
Essay (3000 words) - I have got two paragraphs / themes planned and need to finish my third one. Then I need to actually write a first draft.
Introduction - I needed to find the resources I needed for this and get from the lecturer before I could start it properly. I've got half confirmed but am waiting for the other half still. Then I can get the rest of it sorted.

Evaluation
I am having the highs and lows of feeling like I have loads of time and I'm running out of time right now. I'm having to find things to motivate myself with. Doing my Introduction assignment feels like procrastinating too because I find it more fun and it's only worth 20% of a course whereas the Essay is 100%. I'm feeling quite confident of my ability to get a 2:1 though which is fairly relaxing.

I am currently trying to use breaks and music to keep myself motivated, though I probably need to get out somewhere tomorrow just so I don't start feeling all trapped. I really wish I could go and sit in the library and study like I used to, but it just isn't comfortable enough now. Though saying that I have been getting some nerve pain on my not-injured side today which is frustrating. Also, booked a disability service appt for next week because I thought my learning adjustments meant I could walk around during my exams but apparently not so I want to try and change that.

I have been listening to 'Burn, Butcher, Burn' from The Witcher Season 2, 'El Melouk' which was used in MoonKnight last week, 'Everybody Wants to be Famous' which was used in Sackboy and 'In the Flood - Lovisa's Version' from Horizon Forbidden West. I just listen to a song at a time on repeat so it depends on my mood.

Goals
I decided to write this now to try and give myself some accountability for my studying this evening.

My Plan:
- Go and open some windows to get some fresh air
- No more Introduction right now, I need the other resources from the lecturer
- Plan the third theme for my Essay
- Write up the theme I find easiest in a first draft
Final Uni Moments - Update 2

I have now done 5 hours studying today.

I didn't end up planning the third theme for my essay but I did do a small amount of writing. Since I wasn't feeling very motivated to do anything and the lecturer emailed me the other stuff I needed I worked a bit on my introduction.

My plan for tomorrow:
Do Essay bright and early in the morning
Do Introduction when less motivated later on

My goals for tomorrow:
- Read the introductions to all the editions of the texts I have and make notes
- Read all the tabs I have left open and all over the place
- Complete other semi-planned theme and write up something (Optional)

- Get three of the five things written out
- Note down the info I have (maybe make an excel and fill it in with it?) to see what I need to find / figure out
Final Uni Moments - Update 3

16:00 update: I have done 4hr 20m studying so far today, all on my Essay.

Summary of the day so far:

10am - 44 minutes studying, 2 articles read, started looking through catalogue of articles
11am - 60 minutes studying, finished reading catalogue of articles. Have found several more

1pm - 46 minutes studying, the exciting arrival of an out of print book I ordered, reading part of an article, spending far too much money to get a chapter of a book sent to me from the British Library
2pm - 49 minutes studying, finished reading article
3pm - 60 minutes studying, read part article (not useful), read very expensive book chapter (very useful), review other article (not useful) articles

What is left to do now:

7 articles remaining, the out of print book and the introductions to the editions I have

Feeling:

I have started feeling a bit unwell in the past hour which isn't unexpected due to health issues. I was hoping to stave it off completely with painkillers but the nausea has arrived. I think I'm going to take a bit of a break now and reevaluate afterwards. I would ideally like to finish my reading today because, simply, I am running out of time. But I also have my other, less important Introduction to do that I could spend some time on instead (which I also planned for today) but I don't want to lose the flow of my work on my Essay. I just wish that there was an extra week of nothingness between now and the hand-in so I could do it with the obsessive enthusiasm I clearly can have, just not at the same time as doing other stuff.
(edited 2 years ago)
Final Uni Moments - Update 4

I did 7hr 30m studying yesterday

Summary of remainder of day:

5pm - 15 minutes studying - felt refreshed after having a break
6pm - 60 minutes studying - read the selection of things from the out of print book and the introduction to one of the texts. The other introduction felt quite repetitive of things I had already read so I didn't bother with it. I felt a burst of enthusiasm for writing the essay so I put together a final structure and how I will link it all together and wrote the first draft of a paragraph and worked a bit on another one
7pm - 46 minutes studying - I tired of writing and decided to go back and read my final few articles. As of 19:30 I have gone through them briefly and narrowed it down to four that I need to read because they should be useful, but I am currently feeling a bit overwhelmed, so I am going to move onto my Introduction assignment
8pm - 32 minutes studying - working on easy stuff for the Introduction

Comments about the day ahead

Unfortunately I am feeling more unwell today which is not ideal. I am feeling quite rough now but am hoping that medication will kick in at some point today and that later on I'll be able to study properly again. So, I'm going to work on my Introduction assignment this morning and hope that I'm well enough again by this afternoon or evening to do my Essay because I ideally wanted to have a first draft done by the end of today. I could also do with putting my bibliography together for the Essay if I'm still feeling unwell.
Final Uni Moments - Update 5

Summary of day so far:

9am - 22 minutes spent studying. I did a small amount on my Introduction assignment but was finding that I couldn't remember writing some of the things I wrote so I decided to go back to bed.

Plan for rest of today:
1) Do Bibliography for Essay
2) Note down information I have for Introduction already.
3) Finish the Introduction today while I am unwell to allow me to focus on just the essay afterwards
1pm - 10 minutes studying
2pm - 60 minutes studying
3pm - 24 minutes studying - Finished my Bibliography for my Essay

3pm - 11 minutes studying
4pm - 15 minutes studying

7pm - 57 minutes studying
8pm - 29 minutes studying

I hate, hate, hate being unable to do proper sport. I didn't realise how much I used it as an outlet prior to this end of uni phase. I am getting desperately frustrated and worked up about things and all I want to do is go to the pool and batter myself around a bit, but I can't. So instead I am stuck just feeling really pent up and frustrated that I can't do anything at all.

I have worked as much as I plan to on my Introduction for now. It's terrible but my Essay is more important. I've just ordered a bunch of trash from Deliveroo too that's on its way. I've been refunded £5 so I don't know what that is for but I guess I'm not getting something. I've decided to actually put a studying live stream on - first time I've ever done something like that, but I'm hoping it'll help. I'm going back to work on my essay now. I don't know how long I'll stay up for. I have work for part of tomorrow, but I'm running out of time so much that I think I need to cut down on the sleep and just study.
Final Uni Moments - Update 7

9pm - 57 minutes studying
10pm - 41 minutes studying
11pm - 26 minutes studying
12am - 43 minutes studying

Total time spent studying today: 6hr 35m

I have now got what you could, at a push, call half a first draft of my essay. I have a few hours work tomorrow and the deadline is 4pm Friday.

I just wish that I had realised back in the summer when I chose my topic how much pain I was going to experience and all that once uni started back up again and how much I really needed to get the essay done before the year started. It just feels like a bit of a tragedy really, I know if I had just an extra week I could manage something really great, but I don't have an extra week (this is already my extra week). I don't feel bad about not having done it before now either. I couldn't start it in Semester 1 because I had my operation and all that, I couldn't start it over Christmas because I did my back in and spent some time on the heavy painkillers again which is not conducive to studying and then this Semester I got Covid. It's sad, because for a moment this week I really thought that with the special circumstances I knew I could get that I would actually manage to scrape a first if I just did well enough on my remaining assessments, and I think it's highlighted to me as well that without the pandemic, without my own health issues, I probably could've got one. I will be more than happy as and when I (hopefully) manage my 2:1, but it does just seem a bit cruel that that was the best I could do for reasons outside of my control.

Anyway, enough tired pity-party for now. I'm going to bed ready to somehow get this essay done for Friday.
8am - 23 minutes studying
9am - 41 minutes studying
10am - 26 minutes studying

I've now done the work I had to do for today so I am restarting studying at 2pm.

My plan:
1) Type up what I have currently written out to see how many words it is
2) Complete paragraph I half did and then made notes
3) Complete the 2 remaining paragraphs
4) Type these up
5) Print out what I have so far and review
I don't have enough words :cry:
And I handed it in with 2703 words (just within the 10% limit) at 15:59. Ran out of time to do the final bit of my final paragraph which sucks because I thought that I'd come up with something really good that I could finish really strongly with, but instead it just ended up tapering off at the end in a very unimpressive way. Not exactly how I had wanted this to go, but it's done now (and was probably an inevitability).
Another Update

I just broke entirely after handing in my essay. My dog died a few days after I handed it in and it was just the final straw after everything that has gone on in the past two years. So I've spent the past month just dragging myself over the finish line and getting it all over and done with. I've submitted my special circumstances and got all the grades I'll get back before my degree classification is announced, so it's just a matter of waiting now. The good news is that I should be guaranteed a 2:1 unless I've fully failed (lower than a 40) the things that I don't know the results of which, however bad I was feeling, I don't think is likely.

I've now gone straight into full time work as I was supposed to be part time until the start of June then go full time but I missed so many hours over exams (I've run out of Annual Leave) that I had to start full time straight away. That's been really tough as I really want a break but still haven't been able to get a proper one, even though I've done some fun stuff at the weekends.

Fortunately I've got a 'working holiday' of sorts next week where I'm going abroad for some meetings for a voluntary thing I do. And in a few weeks I've got my own holiday too. So I'm just waiting for that now. I'd quit my job but I need the money to get me through the summer before starting my graduate job.

I feel a bit sad that uni finishing didn't make all the mental health issues go away. I know it was unrealistic to assume that finishing would be like a magic wand removing a blanket of depression that's been strangling me for the past few months, and I think it would have been more realistic that such a thing could have happened before this last month when things weren't so bad. I need to work on it but I don't have the money to get therapy right now, and I've got those weeks away coming up, so I'll likely leave it until this time next month.

I wasn't going to come back to this. Originally I was going to do it the whole year but once I stopped it over the past month I didn't think I'd come back to doing it again as it felt like uni being over was the thing that was supposed to make it all better. It hasn't quite turned out that way. But, I think that some really simple things - like me tracking my screentime and exercise etc - will really help get me back on my feet.

So, I will provide an update on Sunday as I used to, looking at the week that's gone by and the week ahead. I'll try and reduce my screentime and all that. I've got to make a very last minute presentation tonight ahead of a conference tomorrow that I was only told about today for the same voluntary thing as my trip next week. I've got a bunch of tasks to finish tomorrow at work ahead of my trip next week. I have a gym introduction session booked for Friday that I'm determined to go to unlike last time I booked it. That's the plan.

@BurstingBubbles
(edited 1 year ago)
Another Update

I just broke entirely after handing in my essay. My dog died a few days after I handed it in and it was just the final straw after everything that has gone on in the past two years. So I've spent the past month just dragging myself over the finish line and getting it all over and done with. I've submitted my special circumstances and got all the grades I'll get back before my degree classification is announced, so it's just a matter of waiting now. The good news is that I should be guaranteed a 2:1 unless I've fully failed (lower than a 40) the things that I don't know the results of which, however bad I was feeling, I don't think is likely.

I've now gone straight into full time work as I was supposed to be part time until the start of June then go full time but I missed so many hours over exams (I've run out of Annual Leave) that I had to start full time straight away. That's been really tough as I really want a break but still haven't been able to get a proper one, even though I've done some fun stuff at the weekends.

Fortunately I've got a 'working holiday' of sorts next week where I'm going abroad for some meetings for a voluntary thing I do. And in a few weeks I've got my own holiday too. So I'm just waiting for that now. I'd quit my job but I need the money to get me through the summer before starting my graduate job.

I feel a bit sad that uni finishing didn't make all the mental health issues go away. I know it was unrealistic to assume that finishing would be like a magic wand removing a blanket of depression that's been strangling me for the past few months, and I think it would have been more realistic that such a thing could have happened before this last month when things weren't so bad. I need to work on it but I don't have the money to get therapy right now, and I've got those weeks away coming up, so I'll likely leave it until this time next month.

I wasn't going to come back to this. Originally I was going to do it the whole year but once I stopped it over the past month I didn't think I'd come back to doing it again as it felt like uni being over was the thing that was supposed to make it all better. It hasn't quite turned out that way. But, I think that some really simple things - like me tracking my screentime and exercise etc - will really help get me back on my feet.

So, I will provide an update on Sunday as I used to, looking at the week that's gone by and the week ahead. I'll try and reduce my screentime and all that. I've got to make a very last minute presentation tonight ahead of a conference tomorrow that I was only told about today for the same voluntary thing as my trip next week. I've got a bunch of tasks to finish tomorrow at work ahead of my trip next week. I have a gym introduction session booked for Friday that I'm determined to go to unlike last time I booked it. That's the plan.

@BurstingBubbles

Really sorry to hear about your dog :frown: :hugs:

I'm glad you're back to updating :yep: I hope that things feel better soon, but if not, we're here to chat to either way!
The Final Update

I know that there is much more of the year left to go, but I am done writing this now. It has been useful to me to have something that has made me consider my wellbeing the best I can over these past few months, which have been very hard.

Back in September, I thought that this year would go very differently to how it did and that my operation would not affect me so much. Back in January, I thought that this semester would go much better than how it turned out as well. I feel like I barely got through it, but I have finally made it.

I don't think that this blog will be useful to me anymore. It was good to take time and think about these things while it was hard, but I think I will find other ways to work on what I still have to work on going forward. So this is my final post.

A Summary of my Original Goals

Be fit enough to do some hillwalking over the Summer - Last week I did my first day out hillwalking since being injured. It was a tough day and I was exhausted afterwards, but I managed it pain-free (from an injury perspective!). I hope to walk more and do more exercise from now on.

Do my physio exercises like I'm supposed to - this didn't happen at all as my physio was always at the bottom of my list of priorities. Last time I went to the physio, she said she would only have to see me once more. I'll likely go again at the end of July and that will be it.

Avoid injuring myself again by doing too much too soon - I did not injure myself! I don't feel like I had much time or mental capacity to do anything rash that would injure me, but I did not, so that's good.

Allow myself the time to relax - I don't know how I feel I did with this. For sure I haven't had much time to relax. I read a lot in January but that was largely procrastination / avoidance related. This will likely be something I need to continue to figure out going forward - what exactly I want my hobbies to be, now I have free time and am injury free - and how I make sure I am relaxing.

Get a 2:1 despite it all - I have known for some time that I had received enough good marks to get a 2:1 unless there was some horrible disaster. After one particularly high mark this semester and generally high marks across the board I wrote this on 14/04 while I was writing my main essay:

It's sad, because for a moment this week I really thought that with the special circumstances I knew I could get that I would actually manage to scrape a first if I just did well enough on my remaining assessments, and I think it's highlighted to me as well that without the pandemic, without my own health issues, I probably could've got one. I will be more than happy as and when I (hopefully) manage my 2:1, but it does just seem a bit cruel that that was the best I could do for reasons outside of my control.

And after all that, I have now received confirmation that my degree classification is a first. :party:

Thanks @BurstingBubbles for being my loyal reader/responder on my posts :biggrin: I couldn't have done it without you :colondollar:
The Final Update

I know that there is much more of the year left to go, but I am done writing this now. It has been useful to me to have something that has made me consider my wellbeing the best I can over these past few months, which have been very hard.

Back in September, I thought that this year would go very differently to how it did and that my operation would not affect me so much. Back in January, I thought that this semester would go much better than how it turned out as well. I feel like I barely got through it, but I have finally made it.

I don't think that this blog will be useful to me anymore. It was good to take time and think about these things while it was hard, but I think I will find other ways to work on what I still have to work on going forward. So this is my final post.

A Summary of my Original Goals

Be fit enough to do some hillwalking over the Summer - Last week I did my first day out hillwalking since being injured. It was a tough day and I was exhausted afterwards, but I managed it pain-free (from an injury perspective!). I hope to walk more and do more exercise from now on.

Do my physio exercises like I'm supposed to - this didn't happen at all as my physio was always at the bottom of my list of priorities. Last time I went to the physio, she said she would only have to see me once more. I'll likely go again at the end of July and that will be it.

Avoid injuring myself again by doing too much too soon - I did not injure myself! I don't feel like I had much time or mental capacity to do anything rash that would injure me, but I did not, so that's good.

Allow myself the time to relax - I don't know how I feel I did with this. For sure I haven't had much time to relax. I read a lot in January but that was largely procrastination / avoidance related. This will likely be something I need to continue to figure out going forward - what exactly I want my hobbies to be, now I have free time and am injury free - and how I make sure I am relaxing.

Get a 2:1 despite it all - I have known for some time that I had received enough good marks to get a 2:1 unless there was some horrible disaster. After one particularly high mark this semester and generally high marks across the board I wrote this on 14/04 while I was writing my main essay:

And after all that, I have now received confirmation that my degree classification is a first. :party:

Thanks @BurstingBubbles for being my loyal reader/responder on my posts :biggrin: I couldn't have done it without you :colondollar:

Aww no I'm sad to see it's your final update, I'll miss the updates :frown: but the thread is here for if you do want to pop back from time to time. Thanks so much for sharing your journey so far and great to see lots of positives from it :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending