The Student Room Group

Is a history themed EPQ enough for a history degree at a Russel group?

Okey dokie... So I am asking for a friend (literally) because she is not sure which a levels she should chose as she wants to keep her options open
She wants to either do biomedical science or maybe a humanities based course not sure yet
But our school will only let her do Maths, Further maths, bioigy and chemistry
Or maths, chemistry, biology and history (she wants to take further maths)
So she was wondering whether if doing an EPQ with a history theme alongside the first 4 would be enough to get her in
I want to give her sound advice so need some help, because I have not got the expertise. Thanks!
Also she is very smart, so thinks she can balance it all and to be honest at the level of her genius she probably can
Original post by MayaVellichor
Okey dokie... So I am asking for a friend (literally) because she is not sure which a levels she should chose as she wants to keep her options open
She wants to either do biomedical science or maybe a humanities based course not sure yet
But our school will only let her do Maths, Further maths, bioigy and chemistry
Or maths, chemistry, biology and history (she wants to take further maths)
So she was wondering whether if doing an EPQ with a history theme alongside the first 4 would be enough to get her in
I want to give her sound advice so need some help, because I have not got the expertise. Thanks!

That seems quite limiting - why is school not allowing her to take any humanities A Levels?
She can it just means that she can't do further maths with them
Reply 4
Doesn’t need an EPQ to get into a Russel group uni, I’m doing politics at Exeter and I didn’t do one
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
That seems quite limiting - why is school not allowing her to take any humanities A Levels?

Its more that she wants to do a combination that either has further maths or history, and she thought the EPQ would be a compromise
I believe that you can do biomedical science with just chemistry, biology and history. Further maths is not required for either biomedical science or history. 4 A-levels + EPQ sounds like way too much work.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by MayaVellichor
Its more that she wants to do a combination that either has further maths or history, and she thought the EPQ would be a compromise

I mean, Leeds Uni for example states this for their BA History entry requirements:

A-level: AAA including A in History if taken.

Other course specific tests:
When an applicant is taking the EPQ in a relevant subject this might be considered alongside other Level 3 qualifications and may attract an alternative offer in addition to the standard offer. If you are taking A Levels, this would be AAB at A Level including A in History and grade A in the EPQ.
So maybe I should advise her to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History then... Her main reservation is that she doesn't want to be working at a slower pace than if she was on further maths. I did tell her that it would be similar just less content, but she still seems a bit unsure about it
No Uni requires more than 3 A levels and if doing 4 dilutes all your grades, its totally pointless.
The same goes for an EPQ - its an added extra and it wont be a game-changer because its not a 'requirement' as many schools can't offer it. AAA will always look better than ABBB or ABB+Epq.

If you want to get a feel of what doing an EPQ is like then this short free online course is recommended - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success/19
Other schools are available if she can't take the subjects which make the most sense for her at the one she is at now. She (and you, for that matter) should be considering whether her best option is to stay where she is for sixth form or go somewhere else anyway.

You shouldn't be advising her to do anything because this is potentially a big deal for her future and it's something you yourself know nothing about. I mean, it's a nice act to ask the question for her, but what you do next isn't to advise her based on how you interpret the answers you get here, it's to say "hey, I asked about history A level and EPQs on TSR, here's the thread, you might find it useful."

If she wants to keep her options wide open then she will need to not do four non-essay science subjects. Her best option is to go look at the requirements of some humanities courses which she might be interested in - if she is a high achieving student then at top universities, if not then at universities which require lower grades. For instance, I just randomly picked Bristol and history out of the air and here's the webpage:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/history/ba-history/

You'll see that they require A level history. That means they require it, not that actually an EPQ is good enough. If an EPQ was good enough, they'd say so.

Meanwhile, City University London don't have any subject-specific requirements for their history degree - and does say that they will consider what someone's EPQ topic is.

https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-students/courses/undergraduate/history#accordion502079-header2

I would be startled if someone who is considering doing four A levels and/or Further Maths would actively choose to go to City, but that's a decision for her.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by skylark2
Other schools are available if she can't take the subjects which make the most sense for her at the one she is at now. She (and you, for that matter) should be considering whether her best option is to stay where she is for sixth form or go somewhere else anyway.

You shouldn't be advising her to do anything because this is potentially a big deal for her future and it's something you yourself know nothing about. I mean, it's a nice act to ask the question for her, but what you do next isn't to advise her based on how you interpret the answers you get here, it's to say "hey, I asked about history A level and EPQs on TSR, here's the thread, you might find it useful."

If she wants to keep her options wide open then she will need to not do four non-essay science subjects. Her best option is to go look at the requirements of some humanities courses which she might be interested in - if she is a high achieving student then at top universities, if not then at universities which require lower grades. For instance, I just randomly picked Bristol and history out of the air and here's the webpage:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2022/history/ba-history/

You'll see that they require A level history. That means they require it, not that actually an EPQ is good enough. If an EPQ was good enough, they'd say so.

Meanwhile, City University London don't have any subject-specific requirements for their history degree - and does say that they will consider what someone's EPQ topic is.

https://www.city.ac.uk/prospective-students/courses/undergraduate/history#accordion502079-header2

I would be startled if someone who is considering doing four A levels and/or Further Maths would actively choose to go to City, but that's a decision for her.

I did, and she is now thinking about doing maths, chemistry, biology and history for a levels
I didnt want to give her my opinion but rather a bit mor einfo that she could make her decision from (screen shots of answers on this thread)
Don't worry she is very strong minded so won't be easy influenced, and likes to come to decisions herself given lots of information and sources (I guess that's why she is so good at all her subjects!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending