The Student Room Group

Should I keep going to lectures ?

I'm in my last year and final semester, my current grade is a mid 2:1 including most of last semesters work, but my goal is a first. I've been to the lectures and I don't really get too much out of them. The lecturer goes over topics, I'll note them down and that's it. I haven't put in as much effort as I could have towards the exams etc and didn't go to many lectures last semester since they were mainly asynchronous. I want to move back home to save money too. However I have around 28 lectures left which seems like a lot.

Would it be worth moving out to save money and studying online, attending the lectures fully or a hybrid where I do this entire move then leave in march ? I'm tempted mainly by the last option.
I assume you can access the lecture content from Blackboard/wherever? How do your tutors use lectures? What subject?

As a (Bus and Mgt) tutor myself I rarely give lectures because they are usually about transmitting curated information rather then engaging with the content - the original reason lectures happened n Greek times was because not everyone could read books

IMO if you are after a 1st you should be working / thinking beyond the curated content in the lectures - but likely still need to know what the taught content is
Original post by LittleSkink
I assume you can access the lecture content from Blackboard/wherever? How do your tutors use lectures? What subject?

As a (Bus and Mgt) tutor myself I rarely give lectures because they are usually about transmitting curated information rather then engaging with the content - the original reason lectures happened n Greek times was because not everyone could read books

IMO if you are after a 1st you should be working / thinking beyond the curated content in the lectures - but likely still need to know what the taught content is

Yes I can get the content from blackboard which is pretty much how the second year went due to c0vid. The subject is neuroscience and they use it to just go over the lecture slides. My most consistent feedback from assignments is lack of depth, and they range from low 2:1 to high 2:1 with 1 2:2s and 1 first this year. I'm not sure if attending in person lectures would help with this ? It could help with being more disciplined and focused but I don't get much out of them.

That's true, I should be. I think I've seen lack of attendance to lectures correlated with lower grades however this could be a general lack of engagement issue with some students, whereas I would still be engaging with the material. It's a good trait to consistently attend lectures, but the issue is learning from them. Maybe I need to change my approach to them.
Is attendance taken during lectures, some Universities do so might be worth taking this into consideration?
Original post by LittleBear04
Is attendance taken during lectures, some Universities do so might be worth taking this into consideration?

It’s not, I think I’ll finish this month then leave
Reply 5
what kind of accommodation contact are you locked in atm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending