The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medicine 2022 Hold list

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what the lowest Partners interview score to receive an offer has been so far?

And I've also read on here that in previous years the Partners interview score has been higher than normal applications - is there anything to back this up? If so, I'm a bit annoyed. I only applied through Partners as I was genuinely interested in the summer school and various other things which were pointed out to me in an email exchange with the Partners team about 18 months ago. I specifically asked if I might be taking a place from someone who needed it (knowing I already met the A-Level requirements) and was told no, and also asked how Partners affects UCAT/interview scores and was also told 'The UCAT threshold is usually lowered for PARTNERS, this is not guaranteed however and it is at the discretion of the Admissions team. As well as that, the interview panel are aware if a student is a PARTNERS student, so they do take this into consideration when the student is being interviewed.' Nothing about different interview thresholds.

I can't believe I've had 7 years previous that I could have applied to study medicine and I chose this one. :s-smilie:
Original post by youngar
Does anyone know what the lowest Partners interview score to receive an offer has been so far?

And I've also read on here that in previous years the Partners interview score has been higher than normal applications - is there anything to back this up? If so, I'm a bit annoyed. I only applied through Partners as I was genuinely interested in the summer school and various other things which were pointed out to me in an email exchange with the Partners team about 18 months ago. I specifically asked if I might be taking a place from someone who needed it (knowing I already met the A-Level requirements) and was told no, and also asked how Partners affects UCAT/interview scores and was also told 'The UCAT threshold is usually lowered for PARTNERS, this is not guaranteed however and it is at the discretion of the Admissions team. As well as that, the interview panel are aware if a student is a PARTNERS student, so they do take this into consideration when the student is being interviewed.' Nothing about different interview thresholds.

I can't believe I've had 7 years previous that I could have applied to study medicine and I chose this one. :s-smilie:

It has been higher (by a mark, I think), lower and is generally the same. There are FOIs that list the scores achieved and whether people recieve an offer.
I am not sure the actual interviewers know you are Partners, although not 100% sure for this year, but the admissions team in general do, when it comes to rankings etc
Original post by GANFYD
It has been higher (by a mark, I think), lower and is generally the same. There are FOIs that list the scores achieved and whether people recieve an offer.
I am not sure the actual interviewers know you are Partners, although not 100% sure for this year, but the admissions team in general do, when it comes to rankings etc

I was under the impression that the interviewers didn't know if you are Partners or not, until I re-read this email. :confused: I think I'm just trying to pick at things because I'm now being impatient until results day. :redface:
Original post by youngar
I was under the impression that the interviewers didn't know if you are Partners or not, until I re-read this email. :confused: I think I'm just trying to pick at things because I'm now being impatient until results day. :redface:

I have not spoken with any people who interview there this year, but in previous years, interviewers have not been made aware of this.
FIngers crossed for a good outcome for you on results day :crossedf:
Reply 584
Original post by youngar

Presumably as they work down the offer list the cut off moves down. If they carry on making offers after the Partners course, when they can make no more Partners offers, the cut off could be lower for non-Partners.
Original post by TCL
Presumably as they work down the offer list the cut off moves down. If they carry on making offers after the Partners course, when they can make no more Partners offers, the cut off could be lower for non-Partners.

That's true, at this point I'll be being assessed as a standard applicant (doubt anymore offers are going to be made before next Monday when the course starts) so I need to let the Partners side of things go.

With how carefull they have been in giving offers, I can only assume they haven't gone over their quota for the year and just hopeful some space becomes available on results day. But even that sounds awful because I'm willing someone to miss their A-Level grades. :frown:
Original post by youngar
That's true, at this point I'll be being assessed as a standard applicant (doubt anymore offers are going to be made before next Monday when the course starts) so I need to let the Partners side of things go.

With how carefull they have been in giving offers, I can only assume they haven't gone over their quota for the year and just hopeful some space becomes available on results day. But even that sounds awful because I'm willing someone to miss their A-Level grades. :frown:

Aww, sweetie, you won’t be responsible for anything that happens, it is out of your hands, so keep everything crossed, and everyone else can only do the same.
I am with TCL I that I think there will be more offers
I just got an offer this morning via email (missed call)… I'd have to cancel my firm by 30th as that is the deadline to accept, not sure if I can decide in 2 days. I'm also a partners applicant so I'd need to prep everything asap... this is difficult! :afraid:
Original post by hezarios
I just got an offer this morning via email (missed call)… I'd have to cancel my firm by 30th as that is the deadline to accept, not sure if I can decide in 2 days. I'm also a partners applicant so I'd need to prep everything asap... this is difficult! :afraid:

hello, what was your interview score for an offer?
Original post by FXLI04
hello, what was your interview score for an offer?

They never told me after. They said they'd respond in due course but since I have an offer now I doubt they'll let me know. Sorry about that :frown:

Congrats that's great!! You've got a few days so you do have time to give yourself some breathing space before you make a choice. :smile:

Just a little question to anyone who's been on the waitlist- just me over thinking still- the original email on 18th May stated:

From the 10th June we will contact all applicants who have completed the online form on a monthly basis, to give any updates as to our latest position with regards to making further offers.

Just wondering if anyone has actually received any communication, other than offers?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by youngar
Congrats that's great!! You've got a few days so you do have time to give yourself some breathing space before you make a choice. :smile:

Just a little question to anyone who's been on the waitlist- just me over thinking still- the original email on 18th May stated:

From the 10th June we will contact all applicants who have completed the online form on a monthly basis, to give any updates as to our latest position with regards to making further offers.

Just wondering if anyone has actually received any communication, other than offers?

Thank you so much!

I never received any other emails, however it hasn't been a month yet either so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. 10th of July is still a bit away.
Thank you so much!

I never received any other emails, however it hasn't been a month yet either so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. 10th of July is still a bit away.

Ahhh maybe I read it wrong, I was thinking monthly from 10th June. :colondollar:

Great news!

I also held firm offers elsewhere and was outwith my 14 days to make a change period. It was a bit of a nightmare as had to contact my firm choice and insurance and then wait for them to authorise ucas to release me. The queues are long to get hold of ucas too.

I am also partners applicant and as Newcastle was my first choice so was happy but it does take a couple of days for the process to work.
Original post by Hazard0202
Great news!

I also held firm offers elsewhere and was outwith my 14 days to make a change period. It was a bit of a nightmare as had to contact my firm choice and insurance and then wait for them to authorise ucas to release me. The queues are long to get hold of ucas too.

I am also partners applicant and as Newcastle was my first choice so was happy but it does take a couple of days for the process to work.

Thank you so much!

Did you contact the universities first or UCAS first? I already have achieved grades so I only got a firm but I planned to call either of them tomorrow since Newcastle has asked to sort it out by 30th June at lunch :frown:

They said I can still go to the partners school thankfully as long as It's all sorted by 30th.
Reply 595

Congratulations! Do you prefer Newcastle to your current Firm?
Thank you so much!

Did you contact the universities first or UCAS first? I already have achieved grades so I only got a firm but I planned to call either of them tomorrow since Newcastle has asked to sort it out by 30th June at lunch :frown:

They said I can still go to the partners school thankfully as long as It's all sorted by 30th.

I contacted Ucas first ( if you ring first thing in morning - less wait time). Then email the uni with you firm choice and ask them to mail ucas to give permission for them to withdraw you. You can then call the uni and one of mine sent the mail whilst I was on the line to them.

Once thats done - you enter extra and newcastle make you an offer.

Where is your firm choice ?

message me if you wish and I can copy in the mails I sent to the uni
Original post by Hazard0202
I contacted Ucas first ( if you ring first thing in morning - less wait time). Then email the uni with you firm choice and ask them to mail ucas to give permission for them to withdraw you. You can then call the uni and one of mine sent the mail whilst I was on the line to them.

Once thats done - you enter extra and newcastle make you an offer.

message me if you wish and I can copy in the mails I sent to the uni

Thank you! I'll be sure to message you soon!

My firm is in Bristol, however it is gateway to medicine, so 6 years.

Original post by TCL
Congratulations! Do you prefer Newcastle to your current Firm?

Course wise and City, Bristol does tip the scales. However, I'd save a year of money and join more societies and better rooms if I firm Newcastle! It's a difficult choice ;-;
Reply 598

Course wise and City, Bristol does tip the scales. However, I'd save a year of money and join more societies and better rooms if I firm Newcastle! It's a difficult choice ;-;

The cost is an odd thing. As NHS funds fees from Year 5, you pay 4 years of tuition fees whichever course you accept. Bristol provides accommodation for placements outside Bristol in clinical years so some people do not bother to rent anywhere which saves a lot of money, which I don't think Newcastle does. However, Bristol rents are much higher once you are in private accom.

Re societies, I think that from Y3 you don't have that much time for things, so at Bristol you would have an extra "relaxed" pre-clinical year where you could get involved in societies more.

Tricky decision, but 2 very nice options, good luck with the decision making. You probably can't really visit both by 30/6 as they are so far apart from each other!
Original post by TCL
The cost is an odd thing. As NHS funds fees from Year 5, you pay 4 years of tuition fees whichever course you accept. Bristol provides accommodation for placements outside Bristol in clinical years so some people do not bother to rent anywhere which saves a lot of money, which I don't think Newcastle does. However, Bristol rents are much higher once you are in private accom.

Re societies, I think that from Y3 you don't have that much time for things, so at Bristol you would have an extra "relaxed" pre-clinical year where you could get involved in societies more.

Tricky decision, but 2 very nice options, good luck with the decision making. You probably can't really visit both by 30/6 as they are so far apart from each other!

The main issue is accommodation prices I think

a studio room in Newcastle is a similar price to an en-suite in Bristol! It's insane!

I realised that 3rd year ill be busy but there's a lot of societies anyway in both unis

As i said, if bristol and ncl were the same length id choose Bristol but the extra year and living prices are significant.
I'm going to think about it more tonight, good luck to the rest of you!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending