The Student Room Group

Is 23 too old to start medical school?

Hello!
I'm a 23 year old recent psychology graduate (I have a 2:1 psychology bsc hons degree) I got my degree when I was 21 and have spent the last 2 years working. My most recent job is working as a data quality analyst for a gp service and thought this was perfect for me as I'm finally using my degree and gaining experience. While working I've found that working in data isn't making me happy but I love the medical aspect of my role and really want to help people. Is 23 too old to change field and enroll in medical school with the aims of eventually being qualified as a locum gp doctor, is it possible or am I being daft wanting to change field? If anyone has any current experiences with medical school or any advice that would be very much appreciated thanks!
Original post by Jwills27
Hello!
I'm a 23 year old recent psychology graduate (I have a 2:1 psychology bsc hons degree) I got my degree when I was 21 and have spent the last 2 years working. My most recent job is working as a data quality analyst for a gp service and thought this was perfect for me as I'm finally using my degree and gaining experience. While working I've found that working in data isn't making me happy but I love the medical aspect of my role and really want to help people. Is 23 too old to change field and enroll in medical school with the aims of eventually being qualified as a locum gp doctor, is it possible or am I being daft wanting to change field? If anyone has any current experiences with medical school or any advice that would be very much appreciated thanks!

Certainly not!

If you think it's worth giving it a shot then go for it :smile:

Graduate entry medicine is however much more competitive so it's highly likely to take many years for you to get a place - if you are one of the very very lucky ones.
(edited 2 years ago)
*The resident geriatric med-student-to-be comes hobbling in*

23 isn't too old at all. What are your A-level grades and subjects? Some courses have no A-level requirements, like Newcastle and Warwick, but others want specific science subjects. Some will accept your psychology degree and others will not. You need to research entry requirements for different courses and apply to your strengths. Some hands-on caring experience in a healthcare setting is also important, and finally you will need to sit the required aptitude tests, UCAT or GAMSAT or both.
Original post by TheMedicOwl
*The resident geriatric med-student-to-be comes hobbling in*

I suspect you're spring chicken compared to my friend, who will be starting at Imperial this September aged 49 to start medicine :eek:

He's literally mad.
Original post by Reality Check
I suspect you're spring chicken compared to my friend, who will be starting at Imperial this September aged 49 to start medicine :eek:

He's literally mad.

I'm 35, but the sheer number of posts going, "I'm 19 and three-quarters, is this too old to start thinking of medicine?" are enough to make anyone feel old. :tongue: Your friend is mad, but his bravery makes me feel a lot better!
Original post by TheMedicOwl
I'm 35, but the sheer number of posts going, "I'm 19 and three-quarters, is this too old to start thinking of medicine?" are enough to make anyone feel old. :tongue: Your friend is mad, but his bravery makes me feel a lot better!

:smile: I shall tell him that. I completely agree with you on the 19-and-three-quarters thing... since when did twenty-something become 'too old' for anything...

You must be hugely excited, and hugely trepidatious, for your future. Will you be living in your own house, or in student accommodation?
I can remember feeling a lot more anxious about my future and making the 'right' choice when I was in my early twenties. Somehow time felt in short supply then, even though I had bags of it! Paradoxically I think the fear of being too old is something that gets to people more when they're very young.

My partner and I have our own house near Newcastle. It's a ten-minute drive from one of the big hospitals, so I hope I get lucky and have lots of placements there. The excitement is winning over the nerves at the moment. My parents are even more excited than I am - I visited them yesterday and arrived to find my dad ordering me a stethoscope. I was just in time to stop him from having my embarrassing family nickname engraved on it, which might have undermined my mature appearance!
Reply 7
Thank you everyone for the replies really do appreciate it! I think definitely need to levy my expectations when looking to apply, so far I've looked at applying to the university of Nottingham they have a graduate medicine course that is aimed at graduates entering medicine with a science background (including psychology!) On the condition of a strong academic interview and passing the gamsat. I think I need a bit more research Into courses but hopefully sounding really positive thanks all!
Having watched This Is Going To Hurt avidly, I think that's about late thirties - I can't see a forty-something or fifty-something coping with what poor Shruti has to deal with :laugh:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hello!

@Jwills27
It is not old at all, I teach on an Access to HE pathway and i've taught about 250 learners who want to be nurses or midwives - the average age of them is about 25 / 26 and they are changing career. Have you had a look at the entry requirements for the universities of your choice?

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Hello, I know a student his age is 36 years old and he applied for medicine this year, he said that he isn't too old to change his career and he still have time to do it. Just believe in yourself and you can do anything
Start 23
Graduate approx. 29

40 years to be a medical professional
(edited 2 years ago)
I started at 25. But there are guys in my year group in their 40's who left wives and young children on the other side of the world so they could come and study Medicine. You're definitely not too old. What matters is how dedicated you are.
Hello!

Age Is no barrier in doing anything in life.

People starts medicine and nursing careers at a older age than yours.
You'll sometimes find slightly older people changing careers like yourself.
Main thing is you being competent enough to do the career as a doctor.

I was 26 when I went to university for to do midwifing degree and qualified at 29, I had people on my course ages range from 45 - nearly 50 and all qualified.

Go for it okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending