The Student Room Group

Driving test is in 13 days, instructor keeps cancelling our lessons

I haven’t had a lesson since the end of March, at the beginning of April I got covid, so I ended up isolating for 10 days (because that’s when i tested negative), and he wanted to wait an extra week just to be sure, which I was fine with.

I was due for a lesson a couple of weeks ago but he cancelled 10 mins before due to back problems. Then he cancelled the other lesson (idk why), and he’s cancelled the lesson i was supposed to have yesterday due to a family emergency, which is uncontrollable and I have no problems with that one.

But my test is coming up soon and i’m worried because i’m not 100% confident in my driving. He’s also a family friend so it makes the situation a whole lot worse. Is there anything i can do or should I just wait until he’s available?
Original post by Lvnaooo
I haven’t had a lesson since the end of March, at the beginning of April I got covid, so I ended up isolating for 10 days (because that’s when i tested negative), and he wanted to wait an extra week just to be sure, which I was fine with.

I was due for a lesson a couple of weeks ago but he cancelled 10 mins before due to back problems. Then he cancelled the other lesson (idk why), and he’s cancelled the lesson i was supposed to have yesterday due to a family emergency, which is uncontrollable and I have no problems with that one.

But my test is coming up soon and i’m worried because i’m not 100% confident in my driving. He’s also a family friend so it makes the situation a whole lot worse. Is there anything i can do or should I just wait until he’s available?

Rebook perhaps? it’s not the best thing to do but if you feel that unconfident then you might aswell rebook
Reply 2
Original post by ashpritgcse2020
Rebook perhaps? it’s not the best thing to do but if you feel that unconfident then you might aswell rebook

I can’t rebook, there’s no dates available due to the backlog caused by covid
Original post by Lvnaooo
I can’t rebook, there’s no dates available due to the backlog caused by covid

You could try the app Testi, it might help with finding cancellations closer to now. The backlog is crazy though so it might be a longshot getting it really soon :/
The short answer is you'll need to confront him about it, he's either capable of giving driving lessons or he isn't, and cancelling 3 lessons in a row is extremely unprofessional (no matter what your home life). esp since your test is approaching, you need a straight answer from him. Family friend works 2 ways btw, don't be scared to challenge this guy for letting you down
Reply 5
Find a new Instructor - if you are paying for lessons you absolutely have a choice who teaches you, family friend or not.

If you think you are near test standard you could always ask a new Instructor or approach a driving school to get someone to go out with you for a test assessment drive and see what they say.

Failing that, defer your test (& still change Instructor if he is that bad)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending