The Student Room Group

Friends make fun of me for having a wealthy GF

Hi, I've gone anonymous here just incase someone I know see's this thread. I'm in a relationship with a girl who comes from a wealthy family, we go on trips to London and places frequently. My friends however, have been making fun of me, saying I only like her due to our money, and it's simply untrue and makes me feel really hurt. We've been together for 9 months now. How do I deal with this?
How long have your friends been making fun of you and saying all of this for? If it's a short period of time then perhaps the joke will run its course and die out, as all jokes do. If it's been going on for a while, I suppose ignoring them and telling them to stop isn't enough and perhaps you should consider some more serious ways of telling them that enough is enough, as you said that it has made you feel "really hurt".

Additionally, if you're destined to stay with these friends, rise above them. Maybe don't say anything to them but instead acknowledge to yourself that you are NOT going out with her for the money and that you love her for what she is besides her wealthiness and therefore your friends are wrong. Give them a neutral look or state at them and possibly then they'll realise how hurt you are as you're not taking any of their crap, but also not being aggressive about it or feeding into them. Sure, they're probably not bullies but like what other options are there?
As long as HER friends aren't doing the same, you'll be fine.
Original post by Picnicl
As long as HER friends aren't doing the same, you'll be fine.

QFT !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending