The Student Room Group

when do we move house

my housemates and I are in student housing rn
we've been told to hand our keys in 11am on the 30th, but the tenancy for the second house doesn't start until the 1st? what are we meant to do (the houses are both run by uni homes too)
Have you tried talking to the accomodation management? Ideally you'd want to move directly from one to the other, not having to worry about intermediate storage. I'd try and get them to move one tenancy a day (although should you not have queried this when you organised the tenancy for the second property?)

Anyway, if they're really arsey about it you may have to look into alternative single night accomodation (hotel, hostel if you have a location for your belongings or not very many of them, with a mate) and then move in the next day.
Reply 2
Original post by vicvic38
Have you tried talking to the accomodation management? Ideally you'd want to move directly from one to the other, not having to worry about intermediate storage. I'd try and get them to move one tenancy a day (although should you not have queried this when you organised the tenancy for the second property?)

Anyway, if they're really arsey about it you may have to look into alternative single night accomodation (hotel, hostel if you have a location for your belongings or not very many of them, with a mate) and then move in the next day.

Didn't even think abt contacting them, I just phoned them and they said there's nothing they can do about it and we'll just have to find somewhere for all our stuff and us for the 30th:/ literally all the student housing here has the same contract dates (1st july -30th june) and we all assumed they wouldn't be leaving a night where everyone doesn't have anywhere (we def should have checked it all though for sure) ty !
Original post by percyphone
we've been told to hand our keys in 11am on the 30th, but the tenancy for the second house doesn't start until the 1st? what are we meant to do (the houses are both run by uni homes too)

I used to go home in spring summer and winter breaks then move in on the last Sunday before term started could you not do that?

Well you will have to move out before 11am on the 30th...
And you can move in on the 1st.

What you do in the interim is up to you... you could contact them and try and pay for a few extra days, but unless one of the properties is vacant this probably won’t happen.

Hi there,

My name is El and I've just finished University.

You can call up the company that owns the house and can ask for your agreement to be elongated for an extra day or two as in Coventry, our tenancy agreement on our house in second year finished in July but my roommates were allowed to stay till 31st August due to one of them having no where else to go. Be quick to do this though as it can take some time or you may not be able to do it with your house... Or see if you can move into the other house earlier as this is also possible with the houses in Coventry.

If not a possibility, you may have to go back home if this is possible or stay at a friends.... I do think it's possible to stay at student accommodation flats like first year if it's a difficult time or you have nowhere else to go but you will have to ask your student union about this.

I hope this helps.

El

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending