The Student Room Group

Second thoughts on gap year - can I change my entry date?

so was initially planning on taking a gap year and going to uni in 2023. have been thinking though and want to go to uni this september. i have deferred entry offer from manchester for history (my firm) and my insurance is Leeds. what should I do? do i email them asking to change and enroll this september? any advice would be appreciated thankyou.
The best thing to do would be to directly contact the admissions office, either by phone or email. They might not accept it as they may not have enough spaces, but its definitely worth asking, and the sooner the better!
Good luck!
Its very common to get a bit anxious at this stage - so be careful that this isnt part of a general worry abour Have-I-made the Right-Choice etc. Unis will start to get annoyed at constant changing your mind - stick with this until after all your exams, then reassess what you want to do.
Original post by McGinger
Its very common to get a bit anxious at this stage - so be careful that this isnt part of a general worry abour Have-I-made the Right-Choice etc. Unis will start to get annoyed at constant changing your mind - stick with this until after all your exams, then reassess what you want to do.

but is it a bad idea to wait longer because SF i haven’t applied for or accom so if this is actually my final decision then idk
Original post by mirandaleff
but is it a bad idea to wait longer because SF i haven’t applied for or accom so if this is actually my final decision then idk

You can change the details on your SF application right up to enrolment - different Uni, different couse, different year.
Stop worrying and get on with those exams.
If you want to undefer then just ring up your universities and ask if it’s possible and if so what they need you to do. They might reassure you that you can swap to start this year instead at any point or they might tell you it isn’t something they encourage.

Apply for student finance asap even if you’re not sure. Applying for finance for the first time in August is too late and risks being paid weeks or months into term.

Accommodation deadlines for Manchester used to be 31 August iirr so you could be ok to wait in that case but check as it might have changed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending