The Student Room Group

Do I have to apply to university in year 12?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by McGinger
Several people who contributed to this thread work in Admissions at sensible Universities.
Please do not assume that we do not know what we are talking about.

Wdym i just proved u wrong? 💀
Original post by Moonlight352
Did y

So your E was in one test - that's not how your predictions should be set anyway. I am held to account for my predictions so I would never give a grade out of line with what a student is regularly achieving [maths].
Original post by sanwwio
So basically, I have to get the grades required, or higher, by the end of year 13, then I can get into automatically without any issues? Will i have to wait an extra year, go through clearing etc. ? i don't really understand how it works.

I would suggest you spend some time reading the UCAS website and their guides on applying to understand how the process works, as it seems you have a lot of misconceptions/misunderstandings/lack of understanding about this (which is normal, but you do want to understand it before you apply!). The UCAS site is pretty comprehensive and is a good place to start. However in summary it goes something like this:

You apply in year 13 (not in year 12). You'll have your predicted grades, which you enter in UCAS, and your academic referee will confirm these in your reference (which is also why you can't just lie and put higher grades than you are actually predicted). Bear in mind you must enter all attempted qualifications in UCAS, even if you failed it. You also have to write a personal statement (some unis put a lot of emphasis on this, others don't; some courses don't consider it at all, mainly certain medical schools), and then there's a bunch of demographic data you need to enter.

You have to apply by January of the year of entry (so if you wanted to start uni in Sept 2023, you apply by January 2023) except for med/vet/dent/Oxbridge which has an earlier deadline in October of previous year (same academic year). So for 2023 entry to Oxbridge etc, you apply in October 2022 (you only have to put in the choices that have the earlier deadline in time for that - if you are applying to others that would have the normal deadline, you can add those later). It used to always be the 15th of the respective month but with COVID the dates have been a little more varied, I think it was Oct 15th and Jan 26th this year's application cycle. Make sure to check! If you do miss the deadline for some reason, you can still apply, as the deadline is just for equal consideration. However unis have no obligation to consider you equally. Some courses however will be quite happy to consider applications after the deadline - best to check with the uni in advance though.

Unis will make their decisions, usually by May-June after you apply, with conditional offers. You pick a firm and insurance offer out of these. If you achieve those conditions for your firm choice on results day, your conditional offer will turn into an unconditional offer and then you're off to your firm choice in September (or whenever the course starts). If you don't meet the requirements for your firm choice it will turn to a rejection, and then your insurance offer comes into play. If you've met the requirements for the insurance offer, then you're off to the insurance uni in September. If you don't, that will also be a rejection

At that point (or if you self release into it by declining all your offers) you can choose to enter clearing, where check unis that are in clearing, and ring them if so to ask if they have space on the course of interest. It's quite a fast moving process as places get taken up quickly and it's all first come first served so, if clearing is looking likely best to be prepared by knowing what course(s) you want to apply to and which unis you want to check out first.

If you're unsuccessful in clearing or choose not to go into it, you can then do something else or take a gap year and reapply. Reapplying in a gap year as a post-qualification applicant is quite similar to the above, except you won't get a conditional offer - it'll either be unconditional or a rejection outright on the basis of your results, unless you're retaking any exams or taking new qualifications they can set conditions on.

Original post by Muttley79
So your E was in one test - that's not how your predictions should be set anyway. I am held to account for my predictions so I would never give a grade out of line with what a student is regularly achieving [maths].

Yh most schools do it based on one test which is the mock one, what you do doesnt account for what every school does. 😊
Yh most schools do it based on one test which is the mock one, what you do doesnt account for what every school does. 😊

The schools I know don't base it on one test. I wishe we would go back to modular A levels; it was so much better with an external AS grade.
Reply 26
Original post by artful_lounger
I would suggest you spend some time reading the UCAS website and their guides on applying to understand how the process works, as it seems you have a lot of misconceptions/misunderstandings/lack of understanding about this (which is normal, but you do want to understand it before you apply!). The UCAS site is pretty comprehensive and is a good place to start. However in summary it goes something like this:

You apply in year 13 (not in year 12). You'll have your predicted grades, which you enter in UCAS, and your academic referee will confirm these in your reference (which is also why you can't just lie and put higher grades than you are actually predicted). Bear in mind you must enter all attempted qualifications in UCAS, even if you failed it. You also have to write a personal statement (some unis put a lot of emphasis on this, others don't; some courses don't consider it at all, mainly certain medical schools), and then there's a bunch of demographic data you need to enter.

You have to apply by January of the year of entry (so if you wanted to start uni in Sept 2023, you apply by January 2023) except for med/vet/dent/Oxbridge which has an earlier deadline in October of previous year (same academic year). So for 2023 entry to Oxbridge etc, you apply in October 2022 (you only have to put in the choices that have the earlier deadline in time for that - if you are applying to others that would have the normal deadline, you can add those later). It used to always be the 15th of the respective month but with COVID the dates have been a little more varied, I think it was Oct 15th and Jan 26th this year's application cycle. Make sure to check! If you do miss the deadline for some reason, you can still apply, as the deadline is just for equal consideration. However unis have no obligation to consider you equally. Some courses however will be quite happy to consider applications after the deadline - best to check with the uni in advance though.

Unis will make their decisions, usually by May-June after you apply, with conditional offers. You pick a firm and insurance offer out of these. If you achieve those conditions for your firm choice on results day, your conditional offer will turn into an unconditional offer and then you're off to your firm choice in September (or whenever the course starts). If you don't meet the requirements for your firm choice it will turn to a rejection, and then your insurance offer comes into play. If you've met the requirements for the insurance offer, then you're off to the insurance uni in September. If you don't, that will also be a rejection

At that point (or if you self release into it by declining all your offers) you can choose to enter clearing, where check unis that are in clearing, and ring them if so to ask if they have space on the course of interest. It's quite a fast moving process as places get taken up quickly and it's all first come first served so, if clearing is looking likely best to be prepared by knowing what course(s) you want to apply to and which unis you want to check out first.

If you're unsuccessful in clearing or choose not to go into it, you can then do something else or take a gap year and reapply. Reapplying in a gap year as a post-qualification applicant is quite similar to the above, except you won't get a conditional offer - it'll either be unconditional or a rejection outright on the basis of your results, unless you're retaking any exams or taking new qualifications they can set conditions on.

Wow, I really appreciate you taking your time to write this, this is VERY helpful. Would you say there are any disadvantages to applying with taking a gap year and applying with your final A2 results?
Original post by sanwwio
Wow, I really appreciate you taking your time to write this, this is VERY helpful. Would you say there are any disadvantages to applying with taking a gap year and applying with your final A2 results?

Nope, with the exception of a VERY small number of maths degrees that prefer you do something mathematical if you do a gap year.

Otherwise no different consideration.
Reply 28
Original post by artful_lounger
Nope, with the exception of a VERY small number of maths degrees that prefer you do something mathematical if you do a gap year.

Otherwise no different consideration.

Phew, thats great.
The schools I know don't base it on one test. I wishe we would go back to modular A levels; it was so much better with an external AS grade.

My school does the external AS exams actually and I have just finished mine this month. I think my school is one of the few schools in England who do external AS exams but I agree with you it’s much better than internal teacher mock exams which could easily be inflated I prefer doing my AS external exams as it helps me practice exam techniques and also helps me a lot. Normally in my school whatever grade you got in AS they will normally predict you one grade higher than usual which helps me a lot tbh
Original post by katnix
My school does the external AS exams actually and I have just finished mine this month. I think my school is one of the few schools in England who do external AS exams but I agree with you it’s much better than internal teacher mock exams which could easily be inflated I prefer doing my AS external exams as it helps me practice exam techniques and also helps me a lot. Normally in my school whatever grade you got in AS they will normally predict you one grade higher than usual which helps me a lot tbh

The old AS actually contributed to your A level grade; it doesn't now.
Reply 31

I've never heard about a school that sets the ucas predicted grades from just 1 set of tests. Mine did it using info from 3 separate sets of mock as well as how you were doing in the class assessments etc, every other person who went to a different school has said there's did roughly the same thing.

It could easily be implemented into the new system as well, just make everyone sit the as exams at the end of yr12 and then everyone has to report some type of official grade on ucas, seems slightly fairer than just predicted grade.

Do you know what the reasoning behind removing them was?
Original post by Skiwi
I've never heard about a school that sets the ucas predicted grades from just 1 set of tests. Mine did it using info from 3 separate sets of mock as well as how you were doing in the class assessments etc, every other person who went to a different school has said there's did roughly the same thing.

It could easily be implemented into the new system as well, just make everyone sit the as exams at the end of yr12 and then everyone has to report some type of official grade on ucas, seems slightly fairer than just predicted grade.

Do you know what the reasoning behind removing them was?

I guess our school is just different then 💀

Quick Reply

Latest