The Student Room Group

do your parents give you freedom?

I’m 18 (F) and still need to ask permission when going out such as hanging out with friends etc. but according to some friends of mine I shouldn’t have to and they haven’t had to do that since they were kids.
Do you still need to ask permission to go somewhere? And How old are you?
My parents were always telling me to go away when I was younger.
Now they won't talk to me at all.
When I went to uni they sent me to a shared flat and told me I'm not allowed to come back to their house.
The landlord didn't like having pets so I couldn't bring my favourite dog with me and my parents changed the phone numbers in my second term so I can't talk to her on the phone.
My last flatmate left to go back to her family in Boston just before lockdown started.
She's lived with me since I was in my early 20s and didn't leave like all the others.
I find it so hard to find nice people that want to talk to me or be online friends.
hey same here I'm 18 too and I still need to ask for permission 😃 I think it's because most parents are protective regarding their children and seeing the world out there I wouldn't be shocked about their mentality.
My parents weren't around much so I did what I wanted from a pretty early age. If I'm honest, I wish I had less freedom as it would have kept me out of trouble.
I'm 17 and I'm pretty much allowed to go where I want but I do have to let my parent know where I'm going
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 18 (F) and still need to ask permission when going out such as hanging out with friends etc. but according to some friends of mine I shouldn’t have to and they haven’t had to do that since they were kids.

If your parents are financially supporting you and are responsible for you attending school then it is reasonable that they have some say over what you do.Once you enter the world of work and pay rent then you may do as you wish.However most people in a family probably let people know if they are going out and will miss dinner or will be returning late just out of courtesy.Are your parents being particularly difficult ?
i’m almost never allowed to go out with friends at all (save for once), i’m 17.
Yes, I've bassicaly lived free since the age of 12, all I need to say is that I'm out and what time I'll roughly be back. My perants don't know anything about my life. If anything it makes me feel isolated, the prison is the complete freedom.

But that said I don't really have any freinds so rarely leave the house anyway.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous

I’m 21, I’m not hardly allowed to hang out with friends at all especially past curfew hours.
I'm 18. It's really weird because my parents don't let me just go out anywhere I want and I can never leave at night, but they always complain I have no friends and I never go out??? Its the same with screen time. They will take away my phone because I'm using it to much but then after a week they will ask why I'm. Not in contact with my friends anymore. Like I live an hour away from everyone my phone is the only way to comunicate 😐
What is this freedom you speak of?
30 yo male who moved out in my 20s for uni / work but been back home for ages and the answer is an astounding...no, despite essentially being the main provider for the household as both got f****d over re pensions (both forced on early retirement in their early 50s and didnt contribute anywhere near enough to be comfortably
(max out your pensions when you are young kids, you will be grateful for it later)
Original post by Wannabevetnurse

I think OP meant the ability to do things by yourself or is your parents lenient and you must follow by their rules..
not reallyyy

Technically, it’s “of which you speak”
But.. you’re the uni student so I don’t dare to correct your grammar :tongue:
Original post by RushingRiver
Technically, it’s “of which you speak”
But.. you’re the uni student so I don’t dare to correct your grammar :tongue:

Sorry I don't speak ye olde english good enough for you :tongue:
Sorry I don't speak ye olde english good enough for you :tongue:

PRSOM :tongue: xx
Original post by Max1989
Yes, I've bassicaly lived free since the age of 12, all I need to say is that I'm out and what time I'll roughly be back. My perants don't know anything about my life. If anything it makes me feel isolated, the prison is the complete freedom.

But that said I don't really have any freinds so rarely leave the house anyway.

Husband was like that with his parents.He could be missing for days and noone was bothered.It was a bit sad for him too.
Reply 18
too much of it actually. when i still lived with them that is. it's not always a good thing tbh
Not really. Then again I don't usually want to go out anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending