The Student Room Group

My Mother Looks Through My Bank Account??

my mum works as a retail bank clerk at hsbc
I'm 18 but she regularly looks through my account somehow

I spoke to hsbc about it and they said since she has my credentials they can't restrict her access. So any employee can just look through any of their friend's accounts as long as they have the credentials???

I was thinking of changing bank account (I.e not opening my student bank account at hsbc), but no bank offers a cash incentive >100 so she'll be suspicious about why I did that. or if I changed my bank credentials at hsbc, is that possible??

idk what to do, lol

I'm almost certain if I spoke to her about it she'd get angry and suspicious at me as that's what she's like.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think maybe you should first try setting boundaries with your mum, tell her that you don’t want her to look through your bank account and you don’t like it. Keep telling her that and after id say 2ish weeks if she’s still doing it change banks.
Idk about the legality of the whole situation and if she’s allowed to check your account like that, maybe someone else can explain
Have conversation with her about how you are old enough now to not have somebody over your head. If she gets angry and all that just swich banks have you tried searching up a new bank which offers what you want???
Original post by Obolinda
I spoke to hsbc about it and they said since she has my credentials they can't restrict her access. So any employee can just look through any of their friend's accounts as long as they have the credentials???

If I used my access to personal data, which I have and need for my job, for a personal reason such as this it would be a sackable offence. I am required to complete annual training about 'Handling Personal Data' that makes this very clear. I would expect a bank clerk to have to do this sort of certification as well as banks are regulated by the FCA.
In your situation I would forgo the cash incentive and choose a bank where you can retain your privacy.
Yeah I’m not sure how your mum hasn’t faced disciplinary even after you said something.

My sister works in a hospital and if anyone she knows comes up on her system she has to say.

I’d open a student bank elsewhere honestly.
Original post by suenami
I think maybe you should first try setting boundaries with your mum, tell her that you don’t want her to look through your bank account and you don’t like it. Keep telling her that and after id say 2ish weeks if she’s still doing it change banks.
Idk about the legality of the whole situation and if she’s allowed to check your account like that, maybe someone else can explain

Original post by Berndleno
Have conversation with her about how you are old enough now to not have somebody over your head. If she gets angry and all that just swich banks have you tried searching up a new bank which offers what you want???

Thanks for this advice. I do think perhaps I do need to just get a grip. I'm just worried about the repercussions of discussing it with her. she's hot headed...

Original post by ReadingMum
If I used my access to personal data, which I have and need for my job, for a personal reason such as this it would be a sackable offence. I am required to complete annual training about 'Handling Personal Data' that makes this very clear. I would expect a bank clerk to have to do this sort of certification as well as banks are regulated by the FCA.
In your situation I would forgo the cash incentive and choose a bank where you can retain your privacy.

Original post by ReviseSleeping
Yeah I’m not sure how your mum hasn’t faced disciplinary even after you said something.

My sister works in a hospital and if anyone she knows comes up on her system she has to say.

I’d open a student bank elsewhere honestly.

thanks for responding. yeah I was quite shocked too. I was worried about speaking to HSBC about it as I thought she might get in trouble and she'd know perhaps it was me that alerted them to it. Is it worth contacting them again?... She set up the account for me when I was u18 and I thought it was just some parental access thing that she could see my account but I thought at age 18 it would stop. Santander railcard offer looks good ig
You cannot achieve anything by contacting them again apart from getting your Mum into trouble if she is using bank systems as you suggest. If she is accessing via your login from home then you can change your password.
Probably illegal. Friend family or not, the bank shouldn't care- it's all gravy to them (and familial gravy is still just gravy in the laws eyes as far as bank account access goes.) Consult HSBC, though note that your mom might get in trouble for it.
Original post by Callicious
Probably illegal. Friend family or not, the bank shouldn't care- it's all gravy to them (and familial gravy is still just gravy in the laws eyes as far as bank account access goes.) Consult HSBC, though note that your mom might get in trouble for it.

I did contact them. I think I'll leave it as I don't want trouble for her. Th

(the hsbc app won't let me screenshot)
me: Hello. My mother works at HSBC as a retail clerk and is somehow able to view my transactions. I am 18 years old and this is private. Is there some way that I can stop her having access to my account without her knowing it was due to me?

them: Good Morning. Hope you are doing well.
May i check if your mother has access to your account credentials?

me: I don't know, I guess she must have them. She set the account up for me when I was under 18

them: Unfortunately we will not be able to block or restrict the account details when they have credentials with them.

me: Hello. My mother works at HSBC as a retail clerk and is somehow able to view my transactions. I am 18 years old and this is private. Is there some way that I can stop her having access to my account without her knowing it was due to me?

me: I don't know, I guess she must have them. She set the account up for me when I was under 18

them: Unfortunately we will not be able to block or restrict the account details when they have credentials with them.

Oh. In that case then yeah- that's unauthorised access to your account but it's not on their part (and she's not abusing her work to do so) so I don't think she'll get in troubel at work for doing so, since she hasn't stolen the credentials from work.

Just ask her to stop doing it, or somehow change your login...? If I want to log in with RBS, I need a passcode (which I can adjust) and/or my card number and PID number, the former I can change by getting a new card. In any case, RBS lets me change my credentials somehow or other- HSBC should have a way to do that too.

I was thinking of changing bank account (I.e not opening my student bank account at hsbc), but no bank offers a cash incentive >100 so she'll be suspicious about why I did that. or if I changed my bank credentials at hsbc, is that possible??

idk what to do, lol

I'm almost certain if I spoke to her about it she'd get angry and suspicious at me as that's what she's like.

Don't **** where you sleep. Should get an account where she doesn't work. Also. They're gonna have to give you a better excuse than that (I highlit it in bold). Speak to corporate not the local branch, and say someone keeps looking through my account. Is there any way you can add extra security to it? However, it is a bank employee's job to look through accounts...lol so maybe consider just getting another account at another bank altogether.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Don't **** where you sleep. Should get an account where she doesn't work. Also. They're gonna have to give you a better excuse than that (I highlit it in bold). Speak to corporate not the local branch, and say someone keeps looking through my account. Is there any way you can add extra security to it? However, it is a bank employee's job to look through accounts...lol so maybe consider just getting another account at another bank altogether.

lol thanks. I use mobile and online banking but I did not give her any of the details to log into them. The only details she has (as far as I'm aware) is my sort code and account number, I mean on second thought, these are account credentials she would have access to when we make transactions between each other. Yeah I think a new bank account is the only solution to this really

When they asked does she have your 'credentials' then that is referring to your passwords. If she is accessing your account from an app at home (or a home computer via the customer website) then she must have the password/security credentials from when she set it up. You can change your password in the app and that stops the access - simple.
A sort code and account number is not enough info to access someone's account as an end user, otherwise anyone you ever sent a cheque to would be able to do that.
If she is using your sort code and account number to look at your account through the bank computer system then that is misuse of personal data and would be a big problem for her if found out.
You need to be clear on how she is seeing the bank account in order to get the right help.

How do you know that she's looking at your account?

They probably can. But they shouldn't be looking at other people's accounts unless there's a business need for it. And I'd argue that no staff member should ever be looking at a close relative's account unless there's no one else available to do it. (When I was trained as a checkout operator many years back at one of the UK's large supermarket chains, it was made clear to me that I should never serve a friend or a family member, but should ask them to use a different till.)

I was thinking of changing bank account (I.e not opening my student bank account at hsbc), but no bank offers a cash incentive >100 so she'll be suspicious about why I did that.

Nationwide are offering £100 currently: https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexstudent/

or if I changed my bank credentials at hsbc, is that possible??

It should be.

idk what to do, lol

If you have reasonable evidence, then you should contact the bank's security department. It's 2022, banks will have audit trails as to who is accessing an account and when. If there's a pattern of your mother accessing your account, they will want to know why. And if she can't provide a spectacularly good reason for it, it's very likely she'll get (at the very least) a final written warning, and quite possibly be dismissed for gross misconduct. And then she can wave goodbye to working in banking again.

idk what to do, lol

I would set up a new account with another bank (if she asks just say it has better perks/interest etc.). You're 18, it's your money, she shouldn't be looking at your finances unless you let her.

idk what to do, lol

I'd say that's a breach of information governance. Look up what the bank's rules are surrounding this.

In the NHS it's a serious issue.
Best thing to do is setup a bank account at another bank or building society.
Transfer or close it if your mother ever comes to work for them.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
Be very wary if your mother has any history of violence or trying to control your finances.
My mother has never worked at a bank, several of her friends did and leaked my bank account info to her when I was in my mid to late teens.
At least one vile pal then gave her access to my bank statements and allowed her to take my lifesavings via an unauthorised branch withdrawal after bank closing time.

I ended up losing thousands of pounds as a result of that theft.
At the time, I was stashing my all my earnings away so that I could afford to leave and move into uni accomodation.
The bank closed ranks and wouldn't give me any answers, beyond inaccurately alleging that any parent who opens the account has the right to obtain the full account info & remove the funds at any time- regardless of the age of the account holder.
The account was opened by my father and was not an HSBC account.
Karma did pay a visit to the vile bank employees.
They were all fired within 2 years and have been unable to obtain employment ever since, most are claiming welfare benefits.
One went to prison for fraudulently transferring money to friends and relatives bank accounts without obtaining the permission of the lawful owners of the cash.
Set up a new account with an unrelated bank as a student account.
You can be a little economical with the truth and say that the uni has a branch (other than hsbc) on campus.
Original post by ReadingMum
You cannot achieve anything by contacting them again apart from getting your Mum into trouble if she is using bank systems as you suggest

And she absolutely should get into trouble!

I would just suggest opening a student account with a different account. You could look for one that offers a railcard or some other perk that HSBC doesn't if you are worried about your mum getting suspicious?
Original post by black tea
And she absolutely should get into trouble!

Yes.

But if the snooping mother does get into the type of trouble that involves unemployment or having a criminal record that may involve a prison sentence for domestic abuse, the repurcussions for OP may also be very severe.
Particularly if the OP is dependent upon parental cooperation with student finance to determine eligibility for maximum loans and to have access to free accomodation at their property.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending