The Student Room Group

Share your university experience and win an iPhone 14

e29f3ba9-883f-4fde-8088-a0b50091fa82.png

Hey :wavey:

We’re looking for people who are currently at uni or who have graduated in the last 1-2 years to share their experience of their university. Although students use a multitude of factors to make informated decisions about their university choice we know that reading reviews from current students or recent graduates can be a huge factor in making that final decision.

If you’re willing to spend a couple of minutes leaving short reviews on your experience at uni to help support students trying to make an informed decision then please click on the link below to get started!

Subject to approval, all reviews will appear on our sister site www.theuniguide.co.uk. All reviewers will be entered into our draw to win an iPhone 14. The competition ends on February 28th 2023. Terms and conditions apply.

Thanks and good luck!

EH
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm a student in St Andrews.

The good:

Amazing teaching however anecdotally this heavily depends on what department you belong to.

The ability to study different subjects and then decide on your honours later is brilliant for students who are not sure what they want to do - which is a hell of a lot of people

Lots of resources

Lots of subject-specific events to help enhance your learning - again this very much depends on the departments

transport is great, this isn't so much a uni-specific thing but more a government thing although St Andrews does provide a night bus to some of the student accommodation

Beautiful location

Rich History

Raisin week

Schwarma, Big boss, Tailend, I could go on

Love some of the small pubs like Aikmans

Everything is in walking distance

The bad

From my experience pastoral support is shocking, am not going to go into details because it is not my place but it has left some students feeling stranded

This isn't necessarily the uni's fault but the students here are on the more affluent side and as such, some people can feel ostracised. I've met a lot of Scottish people who say that St Andrews feels like the least Scottish place they have been to

Some of the ways that the uni has implemented measures to protect students feel very superficial and not effective, eg. Nightline

Some accommodation staff are just plain rude

Nightlife isn't for everyone - more pub-based

If I think of anything else I'll add it. I have had a wonderful time at St Andrews but not everyone does, this is the same at every uni. Some things feel preventable. I understand the limitations of the university and the struggles they have with appealing to everyone. I am very fortunate to be in a position to be able to study here relatively comfortably and confident in the knowledge that I am academically and pastorally supported. Not everyone can.

Any questions feel free to ask.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a student in St Andrews.

The good:

Amazing teaching however anecdotally this heavily depends on what department you belong to.

The ability to study different subjects and then decide on your honours later is brilliant for students who are not sure what they want to do - which is a hell of a lot of people

Lots of resources

Lots of subject-specific events to help enhance your learning - again this very much depends on the departments

transport is great, this isn't so much a uni-specific thing but more a government thing although St Andrews does provide a night bus to some of the student accommodation

Beautiful location

Rich History

Raisin week

Schwarma, Big boss, Tailend, I could go on

Love some of the small pubs like Aikmans

Everything is in walking distance

The bad

From my experience pastoral support is shocking, am not going to go into details because it is not my place but it has left some students feeling stranded

This isn't necessarily the uni's fault but the students here are on the more affluent side and as such, some people can feel ostracised. I've met a lot of Scottish people who say that St Andrews feels like the least Scottish place they have been to

Some of the ways that the uni has implemented measures to protect students feel very superficial and not effective, eg. Nightline

Some accommodation staff are just plain rude

Nightlife isn't for everyone - more pub-based

If I think of anything else I'll add it. I have had a wonderful time at St Andrews but not everyone does, this is the same at every uni. Some things feel preventable. I understand the limitations of the uni and the struggles they have with appealing to everyone. I am very fortunate to be in a position to be able to study here relatively comfortably and confident in the knowledge that I am academically and pastorally supported. Not everyone can.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Hey!

Thanks so much for submitting your uni experience - it's so helpful to read :yep:

To ensure it gets entered into our competition, can you pop your review into this link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/dpc/uni-reviews-2022

This was it will then get posted to The Uni Guide as well!

Thanks again :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Posting to maybe do this
If our review gets published is it anonymous because I do not want my name attached to the review? Like if we win would our review mention our name?
If our review gets published is it anonymous because I do not want my name attached to the review? Like if we win would our review mention our name?

This is a valid and important question in my opinion.

Hi :smile:

All reviews will stay anonymous and won't be linked to any of your details :smile:

thank you for the nudge on this @Talkative Toad
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi :smile:

All reviews will stay anonymous and won't be linked to any of your details :smile:

thank you for the nudge on this @Talkative Toad

Thanks for the information, that's good then

We’re looking for people who are currently at uni or who have graduated in the last 1-2 years to share their experience of their university. Although students use a multitude of factors to make informated decisions about their university choice we know that reading reviews from current students or recent graduates can be a huge factor in making that final decision.

If you’re willing to spend a couple of minutes leaving short reviews on your experience at uni to help support students trying to make an informed decision then please click on the link below to get started!

Subject to approval, all reviews will appear on our sister site www.theuniguide.co.uk. All reviewers will be entered into our draw to win an iPhone 14. The competition ends on February 28th 2023. Terms and conditions apply.

Thanks and good luck!

EH

Hi, are the results of the draw out?
Original post by itsemily_23
Hi, are the results of the draw out?

The draw has not been made as of yet but will be made soon :smile:

If you have entered, best of luck!

EH

EH

Thanks and good luck!

EH

I thought advertising wasn't permitted on TSR?

Reported :laugh:
Original post by Reality Check
I thought advertising wasn't permitted on TSR?

Reported :laugh:

Do as I say, not as I do :wink:
Do as I say, not as I do :wink:

:laugh: - I spend much of my day telling people that.

Congrats on the awards nomination by the way - if you win (which you should), can you buy a large box of something from Hotel Chocolat and share it round?
Original post by Reality Check
:laugh: - I spend much of my day telling people that.

Congrats on the awards nomination by the way - if you win (which you should), can you buy a large box of something from Hotel Chocolat and share it round?

I will think about something small for everyone that hasn't given me a massive headache over the last year :smile:

Spoiler

I will think about something small for everyone that hasn't given me a massive headache over the last year :smile:

Spoiler

:lol: did you mean to think that, rather than say it EH?

EH

Thanks! :smile:
Is there an update on this?
6 weeks since the 'competition' concluded. I'm wondering if this draw is ever going to happen! @Evil Homer @StrawberryDreams
Original post by itsemily_23
6 weeks since the 'competition' concluded. I'm wondering if this draw is ever going to happen! @Evil Homer @StrawberryDreams

The draw did happen! We have contacted the winner via email (this was the primary contact method on our form) and can confirm the winner is a student from Leeds University :woo:

Sorry we hadn't notified this thread when the draw initially happened.

Thank you to all of our entries for taking part!

EH

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending