The Student Room Group

medicine + language?

does anyone know if any other medical programs have courses similar to leeds students without borders? want to learn language alongside the course but without a level. preferably french

Can you not just do night classes?
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
Can you not just do night classes?

i don't have the money right now to pay for private classes, and i definitely don't have the dedication to go from sixth form to night class + revision/homework that night back to sixth form the next morning- i barely get enough sleep as is! if you meant night classes in uni, i actually don't think i'd be able to keep up with a medicine degree as well as hopefully some sort of job for money and night classes either haha
Most unis have language centres offering not-for credit language classes. You usually have to pay for these but often there are student discounts for current students (and sometimes also alumni). Often they're just an hour or two a week. This is functionally the same as what is offered at Leeds.

Outside of that there are often language clubs/societies/reading groups etc at unis (and if there isn't one you could probably set one up). Likewise it would probably not be hard to find some people to set up an informal group for that purpose.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by x.roisin
does anyone know if any other medical programs have courses similar to leeds students without borders? want to learn language alongside the course but without a level. preferably french

Manchester had a European studies option. Not sure if it's still available though, probably worth checking.

https://www.alc.manchester.ac.uk/study/university-language-centre-leap-courses/course-information/leap-courses/courses-for-medical-students/

The link on this page says "page not found" which might suggest it has been withdrawn:

https://lifeofamedic.com/portfolio/askamedstudent-do-you-know-much-about-the-medicine-with-european-studies-course-for-example-how-time-consuming-competitive-and-beneficial-it-is/
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Most unis have language centres offering not-for credit language classes. You usually have to pay for these but often there are student discounts for current students (and sometimes also alumni). Often they're just an hour or two a week. This is functionally the same as what is offered at Leeds.

Outside of that there are often language clubs/societies/reading groups etc at unis (and if there isn't one you could probably set one up). Likewise it would probably not be hard to find some people to set up an informal group for that purpose.

thats perfect thank you so much!
Reply 6

that option is so so appealing, i've emailed manchester so hopefully i get a reply soon!
that option is so so appealing, i've emailed manchester so hopefully i get a reply

My daughter asked last year (for 2022 entry) and was told it had been discontinued post brexit
that option is so so appealing, i've emailed manchester so hopefully i get a reply soon!

Good luck. Hopefully it isn't yet another thing which we've lost in the sunlit uplands of Brexit.

Edit: the user above me confirms that it is indeed one of those things. The winning continues!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Democracy
Good luck. Hopefully it isn't yet another thing which we've lost in the sunlit uplands of Brexit.

Edit: the user above me confirms that it is indeed one of those things. The winning continues!

Yes i believe this has gone as it was part of the Erasmus - which uk bailed out of during brexit.
Reply 10
Original post by Toto2003
Yes i believe this has gone as it was part of the Erasmus - which uk bailed out of during brexit.

brexit is just the gift that keeps on giving!! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending