The Student Room Group

Driving lessons - automatic?

Long story short I’m im my late 20s and can’t drive, I never needed to and never stayed in one place long enough or had a stable enough financial situation to focus on regular lessons.

I have adhd and anxiety about driving due to some bad past accidents I got in and a rage-driving dad.

But I really want the freedom now. I’ve only done 5 lessons but spent a fortune of them alone and really struggled to grasp manual. I’m now considering doing automatic instead of manual as I may learn it quicker and get my license within a year. Seems more realistic for someone like me.

I know it won’t give me as many options as doping manual but I think itd be better than having no license at all at this rate.

Anyone have experience with this?

Please no nasty comments this is a sensitive subject.
Reply 1
PS I think it’s possible the adhd that’s the reason I have poor coordination and struggled with the manual gear changing, I was always ******* up and just couldn’t get it right while doing something else
I feel exactly the same, I'm considering going over to an automatic as I have so much trouble coordinating multiple things, I'm not diagnosed with ADHD but I do have some of the symptoms. I also have ASC. I've had so so many lessons and often mess up on stuff I did fine before. I don't have anyone to help me practise in between lessons which doesn't help me retain the information.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Catfarm42
I feel exactly the same, I'm considering going over to an automatic as I have so much trouble coordinating multiple things, I'm not diagnosed with ADHD but I do have some of the symptoms. I also have ASC. I've had so so many lessons and often mess up on stuff I did fine before. I don't have anyone to help me practise in between lessons which doesn't help me retain the information.

Yeah similar to me then, I think it’s a good idea to try the automatic so we don’t need to worry about the coordination needed for the manual gears. They were the biggest distraction to me
Original post by Bristolbb
Yeah similar to me then, I think it’s a good idea to try the automatic so we don’t need to worry about the coordination needed for the manual gears. They were the biggest distraction to me

Well, I consider myself lucky as yesterday I passed my test ! It was going to be my last attempt at a manual if I failed. A lot of it was down to circumstance I think, weather/traffic etc. But I would certainly say to anyone struggling to try automatic just to see if it helps. Most cars are going to be automatic eventually anyway. Also don't tell anyone you are going to do your test - I think that helped! If you fail, it's only you that needs to be disappointed (less pressure). Then it's a super nice surprise for everyone if you pass.
Reply 5
Original post by Catfarm42
Well, I consider myself lucky as yesterday I passed my test ! It was going to be my last attempt at a manual if I failed. A lot of it was down to circumstance I think, weather/traffic etc. But I would certainly say to anyone struggling to try automatic just to see if it helps. Most cars are going to be automatic eventually anyway. Also don't tell anyone you are going to do your test - I think that helped! If you fail, it's only you that needs to be disappointed (less pressure). Then it's a super nice surprise for everyone if you pass.

ooh wow youre already much further ahead anyway good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending