The Student Room Group

What Makes a Good University?

There are several important features and facilities that contribute to a good university experience. Here are some of the features that I found important when choosing my university:

- Academic Opportunities

- Campus Life

- Support

What about you guys?
What features and facilities do you believe are necessary for a good university?
Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below:

- Ilya
Support was and is my number 1, definitely! :biggrin: It should be clear where students need to go when they're having difficulties in different areas (accommodation, course support, tutor contact, etc). Nobody should feel 'lost'.

I've also found that good, clear communications and organisation, and a good user interface for the uni's website and portal are both incredibly important.

Physical and online library access is a must for me: with physical, location, ease of access, how spacious and bright it is are important for working. For online, again good user interface, ease of access and effective communications with library staff are a must.
Reply 2
For me it always spun around library provision, calibre of teaching, calibre of research, involvement in local communities, opportunities for disadvantaged groups, accessible and wide ranging student support.
Talent attraction (both with regards to researchers & undergraduates), exit opportunities (again for both), partnerships (with leading research bodies & employers), research output, facilities, culture, opportunities (academic & non-academic), income (ultimately this is the pipeline for future research/facilities etc.).
Original post by EarlyGrey
Support was and is my number 1, definitely! :biggrin: It should be clear where students need to go when they're having difficulties in different areas (accommodation, course support, tutor contact, etc). Nobody should feel 'lost'.

I've also found that good, clear communications and organisation, and a good user interface for the uni's website and portal are both incredibly important.

Physical and online library access is a must for me: with physical, location, ease of access, how spacious and bright it is are important for working. For online, again good user interface, ease of access and effective communications with library staff are a must.

Hi, @EarlyGrey :smile:
I totally agree with you, thank you for sharing your opinion
It is super important to be able to find contacts and office hours of all tutors on the website!:cool:
And library is indeed a heart of the uniersity. Personally, I really paid attention on library facilities when was choosing a uni

However, what do you think about career advice and help? Is it important for university to have good career advice services?
in my opinion this is one of the main things we need to expect from a 21st century's university :biggrin:

Thank you for your comment,
- Ilya:colondollar:
Original post by mnot
Talent attraction (both with regards to researchers & undergraduates), exit opportunities (again for both), partnerships (with leading research bodies & employers), research output, facilities, culture, opportunities (academic & non-academic), income (ultimately this is the pipeline for future research/facilities etc.).

Hi @mnot
Thank you for sharing your opinion!
I can sign up for every word you've said :smile:
But could you elaborate on the "income". What do you mean by it?
Personally, I believe that it is really cool when university helps students to get working experience while studying. :h:

Thank you for your comment,
- Ilya :rolleyes:
Original post by gjd800
For me it always spun around library provision, calibre of teaching, calibre of research, involvement in local communities, opportunities for disadvantaged groups, accessible and wide ranging student support.

Hi @gjd800.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
I do agree with you that it is really good that you mentioned involvement in local communities.
Universities are doing a great job by involving local communities and providing equal opportunities for everyone :smile:
It would be intersting to know what you think on the following matter:
Is it really important for a university to be active in the research? And should people pay attention to it when choosing a uni?

Thanks for your comment,
- Ilya :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi @gjd800.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.
I do agree with you that it is really good that you mentioned involvement in local communities.
Universities are doing a great job by involving local communities and providing equal opportunities for everyone :smile:
It would be intersting to know what you think on the following matter:
Is it really important for a university to be active in the research? And should people pay attention to it when choosing a uni?

Thanks for your comment,
- Ilya :wink:

I think it's important for staff to be research-engaged in some level because it ensures (in principle) an ongoing familiarity with literature and subject trends. It's also important to be research engaged in terms of pedagogy and education theory.

But at the same time, I also quite like the notion of teaching institutions where the research is a secondary concern. Some of these places do exist elsewhere in the world - I applied to work for a few in the States.

Does it matter when applying? Not so much for an undergrad. Obviously for postgrads like MRes or PhD then it is a large factor.
Original post by De Montfort University

But could you elaborate on the "income". What do you mean by it?

The varies sources of money a university has which it uses to fund its operating and capital expenses.

Ultimately what enables facilities, maintenance, staff, opportunities, student resources are largely reliant on funding one way or another.
Hi,

In my opinion, here are qualities you should look out for in order to make the best choice.

A good university is one that;
Offers a wide range of academic programs.
Has Proficient Professors/Lecturers.
Has competitive learning environment.
Provides Reliable learning facilities like laboratories and libraries.
Has Strong in research faculty.
Offers Friendly learning environment.
Gives Good students’ accommodation.
Has Extra- curricular activities to support students learning about development.
Provides networking opportunities for students.
Effective disciplinary committee.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending