The Student Room Group

I wish i had good passive income

Then i could retire and travel the world! I met a guy travelling who owns his flat
Outright in saltzberg. He rents it out and is travelling the world using the rental income! I want to do the same! Rent out a flat or house and travel the world!

Does anyone else do this? How is your life? How long did it take to develop a passive income and how did you do it?
Reply 1
Original post by boulderingislife
Rent out a flat or house and travel the world!

With current interest rates and taxes you may struggle for afford it on a single rental.
Reply 2
Unless you can tap in to a wealthy family, I don’t see any short term route to your dreams. It’s about getting a cracking job or entrepreneurial business opportunity and working your way there and/or finding a partner with financial potential to assist
renting will also come with its headaches and expenses. so might not make much to follow your dream
Original post by Kutie Karen
renting will also come with its headaches and expenses. so might not make much to follow your dream

What about getting a stock which pays dividends?
I do lock up garages. Cheaper to initially buy, so much less red tape than residential to let/evict.

Not long bought my first investment flat, but needing a bit of work before I let it. It's in a Scottish village so not crazy rent, but stable ongoing return if I'm not greedy.
What about getting a stock which pays dividends?

that is a good idea. how do you pick the right ones tho?
that is a good idea. how do you pick the right ones tho?

Just look at dividend history and buy based on that. Pretty random. Atm i have some shares in intel as they are cheap. If the shares go up then i’ll have a profit from the share price increase and dividends too.

Exactly. For example maintenance of the flat/house (which needs to be done and all costs money, even smaller things like a boiler service every year), any issues with the Tennant's etc etc.
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
I do lock up garages. Cheaper to initially buy, so much less red tape than residential to let/evict.

Not long bought my first investment flat, but needing a bit of work before I let it. It's in a Scottish village so not crazy rent, but stable ongoing return if I'm not greedy.

Garages and parking spaces are the way to start, especially with the increasing number of electric vehicles that are going to require a charging point that on road parking doesn’t provide in most areas.
Reply 10
Then i could retire and travel the world!

Why don't you?
Reply 11
Just look at dividend history and buy based on that. Pretty random. Atm i have some shares in intel as they are cheap. If the shares go up then i’ll have a profit from the share price increase and dividends too.

Intel shares yield 1.7%

So with a £1m investment you're getting £17k a year.

Is that enough to retire and travel the world?
Same! I’m going to live at home get my degree save a ton move countries work open up some businesses and be rich! Remember my name 😌👌🏾
Reply 13
Original post by fareeda234
Same! I’m going to live at home get my degree save a ton move countries work open up some businesses and be rich! Remember my name 😌👌🏾

Which country you moving to?
Original post by Quady
Intel shares yield 1.7%

So with a £1m investment you're getting £17k a year.

Is that enough to retire and travel the world?

It was a lot higher a year or two ago. I’m hoping it’ll pick up eventually. Any good dividend stocks you recommend?
Reply 15
It was a lot higher a year or two ago. I’m hoping it’ll pick up eventually. Any good dividend stocks you recommend?

Better ask at the end of the week after LGEN and AV gave reported their full year results. They are each paying me over a grand.
Reply 16
Original post by rockyrhythm
I love traveling and I had a similar idea! I realized along the way that passive income doesn't just magically start pouring in - it takes some effort and often a bit of investment to set things up properly. For example, affiliate marketing, which I started doing three months ago, is one of the options. You promote someone else's product or service and earn a commission for any sales made through your unique affiliate link. Once you figure out google analytics affiliate tracking, which is not rocket science, you got yourself a decent source of passive income. When I first started, only the terminology seemed like way too much to learn, but a friend pushed me to continue. Well, my bills also played a big role, I don't live in a fairytale. I had to dig around a little, got myself a couple of tools that do half of the work, and it's going well. 10 days on a Greek island this summer already covered. Next goal - Prague - Vienna - Budapest tour!

Should get Bratislava in too
Renting is not as 'passive income' as it is believed to be. Needs maintenance, tenant management. If you hire an agency to do that for you then theyll probably take 10% of the rent!
Then i could retire and travel the world! I met a guy travelling who owns his flat
Outright in saltzberg. He rents it out and is travelling the world using the rental income! I want to do the same! Rent out a flat or house and travel the world!

Does anyone else do this? How is your life? How long did it take to develop a passive income and how did you do it?

There are definitely people who do this! It's a lifestyle choice that's becoming more and more popular with the rise of remote work and digital nomads. Developing a passive income can take time, effort, and smart investment decisions, but it's definitely possible.

One common way to generate passive income is through rental properties, like the guy you met who owns a flat in Salzburg. By renting out your property, you can generate a steady stream of income that can fund your travels. However, it's important to remember that being a landlord can come with its own set of challenges, like finding reliable tenants, dealing with maintenance and repairs, and handling unexpected expenses.

Other ways to generate passive income include investing in stocks, bonds, and other securities that pay dividends or interest, creating and selling digital products like ebooks or online courses, or building a successful blog or YouTube channel that generates advertising revenue.

If you're interested in pursuing this lifestyle, it's important to do your research and make a solid plan. Talk to other people who have successfully generated passive income, seek out professional advice from financial planners or real estate experts, and carefully consider the risks and rewards of different investment opportunities. With hard work and smart decision-making, you can build the passive income stream you need to fund your dreams of traveling the world.
Reply 19
Same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending