The Student Room Group

Paramedic science

In order to study paramedic(al) science at university, is it better to do A-levels (including biology), or to do health and social T-level? Are there pros and/or cons to either side?
Reply 1
Original post by voidhearts
In order to study paramedic(al) science at university, is it better to do A-levels (including biology), or to do health and social T-level? Are there pros and/or cons to either side?

Most unis do look prefer biology however they also take other subjects as a science
To be sure check specific uni websites of universities you could be interested in and they will tell you what subjects you require
I took P.E, Psychology and geography
A lot of unis classed both my P.E and psychology as a science subject
I have seen some unis that i've looked at accepting some form of health and social care as well, you may just have to check specific unis as not all may accept it.
Many unis specify any sort of science - So Biology, P.e , Psychology, general sciences things like that are included
They do also have specifics for college courses, i personally didnt look in depth at that bit so im not as sure but each uni will tell you weather or not they accept specific
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey! :biggrin:

As @annien9 said, each university specifies there requirements on their website so it may be worth having a look at the universities you wish to apply for :biggrin:

In addition, although some may not require A-level biology I personally found that some of the modules at university use ALOT of A-level biology terminology and knowledge such as; Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, Pathophysiology etc. A-level biology would give you a great foundation to build on and *hopefully* make learning at level 4/5/6 easier.

That being said, I would always advocate to study a subject you are interested in, It makes learning so much more enjoyably and keeps you motivated :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Trolly42b
Hey! :biggrin:

As @annien9 said, each university specifies there requirements on their website so it may be worth having a look at the universities you wish to apply for :biggrin:

In addition, although some may not require A-level biology I personally found that some of the modules at university use ALOT of A-level biology terminology and knowledge such as; Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, Pathophysiology etc. A-level biology would give you a great foundation to build on and *hopefully* make learning at level 4/5/6 easier.

That being said, I would always advocate to study a subject you are interested in, It makes learning so much more enjoyably and keeps you motivated :biggrin:

Thank you so much!

Hi,

I would say that the best thing to do would be to look on universities different websites and attend open days to see what they prefer. Most websites will specify particular subject that they would like you to study and at what level.

Best wishes,

Ellen
Uni of Sunderland Digital Ambassador

Where are you applying? My unis (St George's is my top choice, also applying to Greenwich, Anglia Ruskin, Hertfordshire & Buckinghamshire New) said they want to see either A-levels or an access to HE course (I'm a mature student going to college after several years working/not in education, not sure if the access course is an option for you if you're not) with a preference for A-levels and at least one science subject, they include psychology as a science I'm not sure about others. They also require 5 GCSEs including English, Math and a science. I was told specifically that my professional certificates (I have a level 3 Health & Social care qualification as well as some clinical skills stuff) wouldn't meet the application requirements, so I'd recommend the A-level/access course route - ask the unis you want to apply to to double-check though.

If it helps I'm kinda dumb and currently studying A-levels (I'm doing Biology, Chemistry & Math, also applying for paramedic science) and I'm not finding them that bad. Biology I find decently practical and tied enough to healthcare/real-life situations to hold my interest so I'd definitely recommend that, it tends to be their preferred science too.

Good luck!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Hi,

I would say that the best thing to do would be to look on universities different websites and attend open days to see what they prefer. Most websites will specify particular subject that they would like you to study and at what level.

Best wishes,

Ellen
Uni of Sunderland Digital Ambassador

Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by JaceW98
Where are you applying? My unis (St George's is my top choice, also applying to Greenwich, Anglia Ruskin, Hertfordshire & Buckinghamshire New) said they want to see either A-levels or an access to HE course (I'm a mature student going to college after several years working/not in education, not sure if the access course is an option for you if you're not) with a preference for A-levels and at least one science subject, they include psychology as a science I'm not sure about others. They also require 5 GCSEs including English, Math and a science. I was told specifically that my professional certificates (I have a level 3 Health & Social care qualification as well as some clinical skills stuff) wouldn't meet the application requirements, so I'd recommend the A-level/access course route - ask the unis you want to apply to to double-check though.

If it helps I'm kinda dumb and currently studying A-levels (I'm doing Biology, Chemistry & Math, also applying for paramedic science) and I'm not finding them that bad. Biology I find decently practical and tied enough to healthcare/real-life situations to hold my interest so I'd definitely recommend that, it tends to be their preferred science too.

Good luck!!

Thank you for your response. I have absolutely no idea of where to apply (or even if I definitely want to study paramedic science), I am only in Year 11 completing GCSEs this summer. Thank you very much for the advice, and I am glad you said that as I am not the most academic either (although I'm sure you'll be fine in your a-levels). :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending