The Student Room Group

unsure of what to do

Hiya, i'll probably delete this post by tomorrow as anyone who may know me will know its obviously me. I cant decide whether to transfer, defer, drop out or stay at my current university. I'm in my first year but I've been utterly miserable whilst here, I cry most days because of how isolated I feel constantly and because of how little I'm actually getting out of it as all of my teachers are striking so I've had almost no lessons for some of my modules.
They changed all the modules of the promoted course and instead we have the most awful selection of modules and I dont feel like being in a massive amount of debt for a year of my life where I hate myself, my life an my decision to go to this university. Ive been trying to cope this year in hopes that my next year will get better now that I'll get the modules I want, but I seemingly wont even be getting that. So staying seems like an overall bad option as I dont think I've ever felt worst.

Deferring is difficult and Im not even sure if your allowed to do it between first and second year. I'm not sure what I would do as I rent my own flat so I wont have student loans to support me with that and I dont want to end up doing nothing but working a job that also makes me miserable.

Transferring also feels impossible as Id only be able to get in on clearing at this point, and my university isnt willing to help me and said that Its between me and the university I transfer too, but I havent even got a clue on how to go about it. Also I can only go to other nearby universities and they all have not great courses for my subject either.

Dropping out feels like the only thing it does is give up, I dont want to be known as a uni drop out in my family and I know that if I do drop out then I have given up on any ounce of potential I may or may not have. I'll have less job opportunities and less opportunities in general.

Every single option seems like it has more downsides than upsides and I have no idea what is the right idea. All of them feel like theyll go wrong and I dont even have an idea. Any recommendations are appreciated because im really lost
Reply 1
Hi,

Firstly, i know it might feel bleak to you at the moment but its all going to get better for sure, it really is so try and relax, its just not that big a deal. In the future you will look back and laugh at these times :smile:

Without knowing what type of course you are doing its hard to advise but perhaps what you should do is look at all options here:-

1. Deferring - I kind of think you can rule that out unless you need the year off for mental health reasons which could be a factor but you will complete year one shortly, get that finished and secure the 120 credits. You then have a long break until you would start again in Sept/October anyhow. The flat should not be a consideration, you may be happier in student halls with more people? but on balance i don't think its deferring you want but if it is it could be arranged.

2. Changing University - If you really hate where you are look for university courses elsewhere that you think you would be more suited to and phone the administrations department of that University and ask them how to go about a transfer to them. IF you have finished year one where you are and its a similar course they may accept your 120 credits and you continue with year two with them, rather than start again but either way its a fresh start. Not sure why you can only go to local ones, you can go anywhere you want.

3. Student debt - just dont give that a second thought, seriously think of it as grad tax when you actually start work. Personally i really get fed up of politicians in the UK frightening students for political agenda about it. Its not debt like having a mortgage or a car loan, you will likely never pay it back, its not on your credit score, if you never pay a bean there is no action and what you repay back when you actually start working is so minimal you will barely notice it - so stop fretting about that, doesn't matter if your student debt is 5k or 50 million you will repay the same amount out of earnings when you start work providing you earn enough, forget it.

4. I don't know what your relationship is like with your mum or dad, but if you were my son or daughter i would be telling you to come home. If you tell them how unhappy you are, they wont want that for you. You wont be known as a drop out, jeeze it is just not that big in the grand scale of things. Also, depending on the course you could do year two and three using the Open University and do it online from home if you would be happier back at mum and dads than away feeling isolated. If you did that the OU would want a transcript of the units you have taken from your current University and would then advise what credits to transfer over, that might work better for you

You could really do with talking to someone, a friend, sibling, mum or dad. If you cant, draw up a list of options and consider what's best for YOU and don't worry. It will all work out, you see.

Sending you big hugs, good luck
Reply 2
Original post by LsDad
Hi,

Firstly, i know it might feel bleak to you at the moment but its all going to get better for sure, it really is so try and relax, its just not that big a deal. In the future you will look back and laugh at these times :smile:

Without knowing what type of course you are doing its hard to advise but perhaps what you should do is look at all options here:-

1. Deferring - I kind of think you can rule that out unless you need the year off for mental health reasons which could be a factor but you will complete year one shortly, get that finished and secure the 120 credits. You then have a long break until you would start again in Sept/October anyhow. The flat should not be a consideration, you may be happier in student halls with more people? but on balance i don't think its deferring you want but if it is it could be arranged.

2. Changing University - If you really hate where you are look for university courses elsewhere that you think you would be more suited to and phone the administrations department of that University and ask them how to go about a transfer to them. IF you have finished year one where you are and its a similar course they may accept your 120 credits and you continue with year two with them, rather than start again but either way its a fresh start. Not sure why you can only go to local ones, you can go anywhere you want.

3. Student debt - just dont give that a second thought, seriously think of it as grad tax when you actually start work. Personally i really get fed up of politicians in the UK frightening students for political agenda about it. Its not debt like having a mortgage or a car loan, you will likely never pay it back, its not on your credit score, if you never pay a bean there is no action and what you repay back when you actually start working is so minimal you will barely notice it - so stop fretting about that, doesn't matter if your student debt is 5k or 50 million you will repay the same amount out of earnings when you start work providing you earn enough, forget it.

4. I don't know what your relationship is like with your mum or dad, but if you were my son or daughter i would be telling you to come home. If you tell them how unhappy you are, they wont want that for you. You wont be known as a drop out, jeeze it is just not that big in the grand scale of things. Also, depending on the course you could do year two and three using the Open University and do it online from home if you would be happier back at mum and dads than away feeling isolated. If you did that the OU would want a transcript of the units you have taken from your current University and would then advise what credits to transfer over, that might work better for you

You could really do with talking to someone, a friend, sibling, mum or dad. If you cant, draw up a list of options and consider what's best for YOU and don't worry. It will all work out, you see.

Thank you I appreciate it a lot, I'm gonna try to look into other unis nearby as I cant move because of my flat tenancy, luckily I'm not far from London so while the commute is more annoying I'll try to look into it and draw a list of ideas up. Thanks <3
Wouldn't worry too much about the social stigma of dropping out. I'd say it's an old social thing of the past, people are switching jobs and everything in very short spaces of time these days. Dropping out was actually the best thing I ever did, gave me the headspace I needed to actually work out what I wanted to do and I knew I only had one shot left, but I made it work and had some great experiences at my new uni with some good people and graduated with a 2:1. If it's what you feel is the best course of action at this moment in time then honestly just do it!
Original post by anon_ig
Hiya, i'll probably delete this post by tomorrow as anyone who may know me will know its obviously me. I cant decide whether to transfer, defer, drop out or stay at my current university. I'm in my first year but I've been utterly miserable whilst here, I cry most days because of how isolated I feel constantly and because of how little I'm actually getting out of it as all of my teachers are striking so I've had almost no lessons for some of my modules.
They changed all the modules of the promoted course and instead we have the most awful selection of modules and I dont feel like being in a massive amount of debt for a year of my life where I hate myself, my life an my decision to go to this university. Ive been trying to cope this year in hopes that my next year will get better now that I'll get the modules I want, but I seemingly wont even be getting that. So staying seems like an overall bad option as I dont think I've ever felt worst.

Deferring is difficult and Im not even sure if your allowed to do it between first and second year. I'm not sure what I would do as I rent my own flat so I wont have student loans to support me with that and I dont want to end up doing nothing but working a job that also makes me miserable.

Transferring also feels impossible as Id only be able to get in on clearing at this point, and my university isnt willing to help me and said that Its between me and the university I transfer too, but I havent even got a clue on how to go about it. Also I can only go to other nearby universities and they all have not great courses for my subject either.

Dropping out feels like the only thing it does is give up, I dont want to be known as a uni drop out in my family and I know that if I do drop out then I have given up on any ounce of potential I may or may not have. I'll have less job opportunities and less opportunities in general.

Every single option seems like it has more downsides than upsides and I have no idea what is the right idea. All of them feel like theyll go wrong and I dont even have an idea. Any recommendations are appreciated because im really lost

Hey there @anon_ig ,
Okay first off remember to breathe. This probably feels like a lot to you and my advice is to prioritise yourself first always. If it's your course you're not enjoying then that's literally the main reason you're there and as you say it isn't worth the money you pay. Whilst you're still paying for it, book an appointment with the careers advisor at your university and get them to go over your options with you. It might also feel good just to let everything off your chest.

As far as I'm aware you can defer between first and second year. When you first apply for your course they always ask you what year you're starting from and you can start from second year. Double check this with your careers advisor because every course is different but yeah I'm pretty sure you can if that's the option you want to go for. Secondly, it doesn't sound like the university you're at is the one for you either. They can't refuse to help you since you're paying for it and I know other universities that have helped people I know transfer across. I think some time out of the situation might be good for you to clear your head and regroup. No one sees this as a lack of potential in you and I don't want you to let those negative thoughts cloud your judgement about the situation. You've got to do what's best for you at the end of the day and at the moment you're unhappy. If you're unsure about where to go next then rushing this decision really isn't a good idea because you could just end up exactly where you are right now at this time next year. Take some time out and really think about what direction you see your career going in. Try and get a part-time job to cover some costs and also so you're not sat at home bored all the time.

Have you spoken to your parents at all about this? It's not good to go through this sort of thing alone and they may be able to offer some advice and help where they can. No one is going to think of you as a drop out because you've given it a really good go and it's not like you've given up within the first few weeks. Some outsiders advice: have a look into degree apprenticeships. They offer you full-time work in an area that interests you whilst you're studying at the same time. They usually pay to send you to university for a week every couple of months including accommodation, transport, tuition fees and food allowance for whilst you're there. Once you've completed the apprenticeship programme, you're guaranteed a job and a degree. That would take the stress out of university for you and you'd be working in a career area that you really enjoy. Do some further research about what options are out there for you.

I really hope this has helped and please let me know if there's any more questions that you have or any other advice I can give.
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 5
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @anon_ig ,
Okay first off remember to breathe. This probably feels like a lot to you and my advice is to prioritise yourself first always. If it's your course you're not enjoying then that's literally the main reason you're there and as you say it isn't worth the money you pay. Whilst you're still paying for it, book an appointment with the careers advisor at your university and get them to go over your options with you. It might also feel good just to let everything off your chest.

As far as I'm aware you can defer between first and second year. When you first apply for your course they always ask you what year you're starting from and you can start from second year. Double check this with your careers advisor because every course is different but yeah I'm pretty sure you can if that's the option you want to go for. Secondly, it doesn't sound like the university you're at is the one for you either. They can't refuse to help you since you're paying for it and I know other universities that have helped people I know transfer across. I think some time out of the situation might be good for you to clear your head and regroup. No one sees this as a lack of potential in you and I don't want you to let those negative thoughts cloud your judgement about the situation. You've got to do what's best for you at the end of the day and at the moment you're unhappy. If you're unsure about where to go next then rushing this decision really isn't a good idea because you could just end up exactly where you are right now at this time next year. Take some time out and really think about what direction you see your career going in. Try and get a part-time job to cover some costs and also so you're not sat at home bored all the time.

Have you spoken to your parents at all about this? It's not good to go through this sort of thing alone and they may be able to offer some advice and help where they can. No one is going to think of you as a drop out because you've given it a really good go and it's not like you've given up within the first few weeks. Some outsiders advice: have a look into degree apprenticeships. They offer you full-time work in an area that interests you whilst you're studying at the same time. They usually pay to send you to university for a week every couple of months including accommodation, transport, tuition fees and food allowance for whilst you're there. Once you've completed the apprenticeship programme, you're guaranteed a job and a degree. That would take the stress out of university for you and you'd be working in a career area that you really enjoy. Do some further research about what options are out there for you.

I really hope this has helped and please let me know if there's any more questions that you have or any other advice I can give.
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hiya,
Thank you Lucy thats helped a lot, I'm gonna try to book an appointment with a careers advisor this week if I can. I'm looking into part time jobs at the moment so I think that will also be a good use of my time if I'm able to find one.

I have spoken to my parents about this and my mums advice has more or less to do what I think is best (which is the best advice when im not sure what is best haha). I will have a look at degree apprenticeships for sure, I hadnt heard of them before! And that sounds like a good potential option.
Thank you!!
Reply 6
Original post by angelofessence
Wouldn't worry too much about the social stigma of dropping out. I'd say it's an old social thing of the past, people are switching jobs and everything in very short spaces of time these days. Dropping out was actually the best thing I ever did, gave me the headspace I needed to actually work out what I wanted to do and I knew I only had one shot left, but I made it work and had some great experiences at my new uni with some good people and graduated with a 2:1. If it's what you feel is the best course of action at this moment in time then honestly just do it!

Its nice to actually hear from someone that did drop out for a while so thank you! I think I am gonna consider deferring for the year so that gives me time to decide whether to drop this subject entirely or to continue into a second year at a university I prefer. Thank you :smile:!
Original post by anon_ig

I’ say drop out complete this year you’ve only got a couple of month’s left then exams in may then your done you’ll get credit for the work and exams you pass and you can always go back later. no degree doesn’t mean boring low paying jobs for the rest of your life either look at this link they are pretty good some will even allow you to see the world just a pice of advice if you do go and try to be air crew make sure you go for a company that does long haul flights because you’ll then get a bit of time in the destination before you have to fly back home.
Original post by anon_ig

Hello,

I hope you're well. I completely understand and resonate with you - university is hard and can be possibly, some of the hardest times of our lives. I would encourage you to write a pros and cons list for staying at university. It is very easy to sit and say you'll become a dropout of the family etc but, it is so important to remember it is only you who will get yourself through that degree, it is only you who has to write the assignments and do essays etc. In life, it is always important to put yourself first, no matter what. I would say if your degree is absolutely necessary to try and get a job in a career you would like, to try and stick with it. If it is not necessary for your future career aspects, I would yet again write the pros and cons list, and try to explore any other opportunities out there that would help you in the future.

Every university student has considered dropping out, it's hard and sometimes it is just not meant for you. I know I definitely have. You need to do what is right for you and your mental health - whatever that may be! If you're up for it, consider looking and joining at societies your university has to offer as this is a great way to make friends and reduce your feelings of isolation.

I am wishing you the absolute best of luck :smile:
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Original post by LsDad
Hi,

What would you suggest for transferring? Is it worth it, I'm not really enjoying where I'm at, doing a foundation year and have missed quite a bit of lessons due to strikes.

I also spend quite some time alone like O.P not making the most of uni
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
What would you suggest for transferring? Is it worth it, I'm not really enjoying where I'm at, doing a foundation year and have missed quite a bit of lessons due to strikes.

I also spend quite some time alone like O.P not making the most of uni

@Anonymous1
Your post is far to vague for any specific ideas, as a generalisation:
Accademia - You can always look for alternatives but the current University has given you a foundation year option, Ideally you need to complete that and see if you can join a 3 year degree program from September. Explore options at your current University first. The missed lessons due to strikes sounds like a lame excuse to me, put some effort in now to catch up with your work and get back on track and see if you can complete the year to satisfaction.
Making the most of the experience - I would suggest you go and talk to them, explain your position and look at ways to increase activity and connections so you don't feel so lonely. Investigate the clubs and societies would be the obvious easy call, you only get out what you put in, go join a few common interest groups and go from there.
Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending