The Student Room Group

I want to leave university and re-sit my A-Levels.

As the title states.

I was meant to go to the University of Warwick to study BSc Chemistry last year, with lowered entry requirements as I was part of the Warwick Scholars programme (which was excellent by the way!).

However, due to developing insomnia and poor mental and physical health throughout Y13, I missed out on the grades needed and ended up at the University of Plymouth.

I am going to be totally honest - I don't like it here that much. The sea is pretty and my course interesting (though the way they taught us the maths required was pretty shocking...) but my cohort is too small for my liking and everyone is quiet. Plus, my flatmates dislike me and I don't really have any friends here. Additionally, there aren't many societies or things to do here and it just feels too small of a 'city' for my liking. It's also so isolated from so many other cities, unlike when I was living at home. The people here are also all so different to me :frown:

So now I'm unsure of what to do next. I really want to go to Warwick or Birmingham because I loved both of them a lot when I visited and they were closer to home. The people I met were more like me at both universities and they seem to have more to offer than my current university.

I was thinking of contacting my head of sixth form to ask about resits and resit fees, but I'm not sure if my sixth form would offer them. My A-Level grades are so bad (BCC) that nowhere will likely accept me for a transfer onto BSc Chemistry (though my grades at university are all averaging a 1st or 2:1).

Sorry for the long, rambling post. I'm just feeling really rubbish at the moment - any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
As the title states.

I was meant to go to the University of Warwick to study BSc Chemistry last year, with lowered entry requirements as I was part of the Warwick Scholars programme (which was excellent by the way!).

However, due to developing insomnia and poor mental and physical health throughout Y13, I missed out on the grades needed and ended up at the University of Plymouth.

I am going to be totally honest - I don't like it here that much. The sea is pretty and my course interesting (though the way they taught us the maths required was pretty shocking...) but my cohort is too small for my liking and everyone is quiet. Plus, my flatmates dislike me and I don't really have any friends here. Additionally, there aren't many societies or things to do here and it just feels too small of a 'city' for my liking. It's also so isolated from so many other cities, unlike when I was living at home. The people here are also all so different to me :frown:

So now I'm unsure of what to do next. I really want to go to Warwick or Birmingham because I loved both of them a lot when I visited and they were closer to home. The people I met were more like me at both universities and they seem to have more to offer than my current university.

I was thinking of contacting my head of sixth form to ask about resits and resit fees, but I'm not sure if my sixth form would offer them. My A-Level grades are so bad (BCC) that nowhere will likely accept me for a transfer onto BSc Chemistry (though my grades at university are all averaging a 1st or 2:1).

Sorry for the long, rambling post. I'm just feeling really rubbish at the moment - any advice?

I empathise with this so much - I was close to doing something similar, going to my insurance uni (which I didn't want to go to) and doing a course I wasn't all that interested in (compared to my firm choice). Quite a few of my old classmates dropped out of their uni (whether it was their firm or not, I'm not sure) but are reapplying to other unis or doing different courses this September at the same uni. If you think you can resit all 3 A-levels in the space of 3 months and get better grades then go for it! However, I should stress that this year the grade boundaries will be back to normal (not discouraging you or anything). In terms of resitting, yes you have missed the initial/early deadline for putting your name forwards to exam boards, however, I think there is a later deadline (not entirely sure on the date but it's not passed yet) which if you put your name forwards (with late fee applied) then you can still sit your exam. You may contact your old sixth form to provide this exam - essentially you'd be an independent candidate but sit your exam at the sixth form (which acts as your chosen centre). I think if you don't enjoy the uni this much then go with your gut extinct. It's nothing to be ashamed of, you had your reasons and you can move on from them. Research both Warwick and Birmingham and see what their resit requirement is - and if they say no on the website, they might have extenuating circumstance forms which may apply to you. Best of luck op! :smile:
if you are not happy where you are then you need to change things. You can retake your A levels to improve your grades but your sixth form may not be willing to take you unless you resit all 3 A levels - they do not get funding if you resit only one or two. Sitting in lectures back in your old school is not an issue but there are costs for the practical elements of your Biology, Chemistry and Physics A levels. Again, your sixth form may not be keen on incurring the costs. Chat with your head of the sixth form and ask if they would be willing to take you.

An alternative is to do a foundation year at a uni you like with a view to then being accepted onto their degree programme. Why no one suggested this to you after your A levels is a mystery.
As the title states.

You wouldn't be able to retake your A levels at your sixth-form - you're too old to attend now, and your place would not be funded. If you wanted to retake A levels, you'd need to arrange this as a private, external candidate - and also find somewhere which would agree to complete the practical endorsement for you. Your old VIth form might be prepared to enter you as a private candidate: you'd study the material yourself, or with the help of a private tutor, and you'd take your examinations/NEA at the college.

Is your current course at UoP anything to do with chemistry?
Original post by Reality Check
You wouldn't be able to retake your A levels at your sixth-form - you're too old to attend now, and your place would not be funded. If you wanted to retake A levels, you'd need to arrange this as a private, external candidate - and also find somewhere which would agree to complete the practical endorsement for you. Your old VIth form might be prepared to enter you as a private candidate: you'd study the material yourself, or with the help of a private tutor, and you'd take your examinations/NEA at the college.

Is your current course at UoP anything to do with chemistry?

Yep, it's a pure chemistry degree. I just am not enjoying that much though.

Sorry, I've realised I never stated this in my original post, but yes - I do intend to re-sit as a private candidate and studying the material with a private tutor and by myself.
Yep, it's a pure chemistry degree. I just am not enjoying that much though.

Sorry, I've realised I never stated this in my original post, but yes - I do intend to re-sit as a private candidate and studying the material with a private tutor and by myself.

That all sounds fine then - I'd contact your old VIth form to see if they can accept you as a private candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending