The Student Room Group

struggling

So, I am in my early 20s, and I am thinking about leaving uni. I am doubting myself, whether the career I chose to study towards is right for me, whether I should find something which doesn't affect my confidence and mental health so much. I started uni once in 2020 dropped out and then went back in 2021 to persue the same course again, because I felt that I wanted this. However, 2 years later I am contemplating whether I made the right decision. The career is very challenging, underpaid, and my mental health isn't so good right now already. Should I take a break next year, when I am supposed to go into third year, to look at different options out there?
Original post by Anonymous
So, I am in my early 20s, and I am thinking about leaving uni. I am doubting myself, whether the career I chose to study towards is right for me, whether I should find something which doesn't affect my confidence and mental health so much. I started uni once in 2020 dropped out and then went back in 2021 to persue the same course again, because I felt that I wanted this. However, 2 years later I am contemplating whether I made the right decision. The career is very challenging, underpaid, and my mental health isn't so good right now already. Should I take a break next year, when I am supposed to go into third year, to look at different options out there?

Does the degree effectively lock you into the "very challenging, underpaid" you describe, or might it be useful for other careers? I heard a stat recently (although I can't source it right now) which said that something like 60% of graduate-level jobs don't specify the degree they want you to be a graduate in. They just want you to be a graduate.

So if it's the career itself that's worrying you, think about what else you might like to do with the degree course you're currently on.

Or is it the degree itself which is causing you concern?
Can I ask what degree you are doing? If it's medicine - if you are already not enjoying it, i personallt would not keep going. Hold on until you are at the stage where you can leave with a degree (usually 3rd or 4th year) so you at least get something out of it, but medicine in this country is not going on a good direction.

Hi there,
That must be difficult for you. I think it depends how much you want the career and could be worth looking into other options. Perhaps you could take a gap year or placement to try different things and see how you feel. Your mental health should be what is most important therefore it might be beneficial to evaluate what you enjoy about your course and what you could might gain from other options.

I hope that this helps,
Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

Hi!:wink:
I hope you are doing well!

It's important to take a moment to consider what you really want out of life. What are your goals and interests? What motivates you? What kind of career path would allow you to showcase your skills and strengths? If you're not quite sure, don't worry! You can chat with a careers team if your university (if they have one), mentor, or trusted friend to help you explore these questions and develop a plan for your development.

If you do decide to take a break, make sure you use that time wisely. You can explore internships, volunteering opportunities, or other experiences that can help you gain valuable skills and connections in your desired field. Or, you can take some time to focus on your mental health, build new skills, or do anything else that can help you grow as a person.

Just remember, it's okay to take a step back and take a look at your goals. University is a time for learning, growing, and discovering what works for you. Whatever you decide, approach it with an open mind and a willingness to learn and grow.

Good luck!

- Ilya :h:
As Steve Jobs once said - you can only connect the dots looking backwards. You never know where this career might take you, so take a few days off if you need to but if you drop out now again you might regret it in the future. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending