The Student Room Group

Adoption advice

I’m 23 now and I’m just interested to see my file’ for functionality reasons really and also curiosity.

I want to know if I’m predisposed to any genetic disorders
I want to know what I am ethnically ( I’m clearly mixed race but I could literally be anything)

I want to know why I was adopted ( will probably be not so good reasons but I’d like to know nevertheless)

I want to know if I have siblings

I’ve always known I was adopted and I LOVE my parents so much. My mum is very sensitive about it so I’ve never asked them but I do know she said she’s ago she didn’t know much about my birth mother cos it was a closed adoption.

I’ve contacted my local council and they’re in the process of getting the files but it occurred to me if this is a closed adoption I might not ever find out my ethnicity?

I’ve already ordered my birth certificate and irs given me a mothers name and I’ve Facebook searced it but it’s a very generic name so no luck there.
Just an idea about the whole ethnicity thing - if you really want to know, you could maybe try some sort of dna test thing?
I could I’m not sure how accurate they are! And think they’re £90 so want to be sure they’re accurate before paying
Original post by Anonymous
I could I’m not sure how accurate they are! And think they’re £90 so want to be sure they’re accurate before paying

Good point!
Forgive me for not knowing much about adoption, but surely there are files around with basic info about the parents, like age and ethnicity? Or is that what you're getting from the council?
Reply 4
Please message us at Adoption Chatter on Instagram. I’m a 30 year old adoptee and can signpost you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending