The Student Room Group

Need to get this off my chest asap

I broke up with sm that I was with for 3 years . He was sometimes amazing and the cutest but other times he was absolutely cruel . He used to get me chocolates whenever I was sick and used to look out for me . But I guess he has anger issues /bipolar problem .I called him once to ask about his health and he called me annoying and he later said that i should have tried harder .He stormed out of the library when I had my head on the desk , other ppl noticed it and he made a scene . He used to threaten me that he's gonna break up with me after every few weeks and he would come crawling back and cry and I used to take him back foolishly .He broke up with me when I was offered a job , when I went to a different teacher etc but he was able to convince me to take him back everytime .After i broke up with him , i blocked him from everywhere bcz he scared me , i was losing weight and skipping meals . I did give him closure tho . He begged me to listen . He apologized and I apologized too , I asked if he wants to keep contact and he said he did .We were besties of 5 years , after the apology he started sharing memes and being affectionate and I thought we were friends again so i was nice to him too,I felt like i had a friend for once in my life . Then he begged me to take him back again and i refused politely .He asked me to hit him and take out all the anger on him , begged me to give him another chance . I said that i am up for friendships only.He siad he's gonna wait for me until the future .I told him that he was my first love ,he got bipolar again and said that he should have just ignored me .He said that he needs me till exams .I blocked him from everywhere again .He texted me on my number and bullied me . called me a weak pu^^y . He accused me of cheating and threatened me that he will tell everyone how I fked other men .he kept twisting words . His last line was " dont even look at me with those hideous eyes again" .I never said anything bad about his looks , I ignored it and went on with my life .

Some kind of guilt has been eating me up lately .I feel like i did him wrong by cutting him off . I saw him becoming sick for the first time in 3 yrs . Although I look down whenvever we have eye contacts , i still worry for him .I'm the sensitive weak hearted type . Will it be a bad idea to email him and tell him abt how i truly feel . i would only tell him that he was my first genuine friend in my life , that i wasnt planning to cut him off and genuinely liked staying friends and that the song i sent him was symbolic etc .
I dont want him back but i really need to get these off my chest to find inner peace . My chest used to hurt and I was throwing up whenever he was rude to me ,after the breakup i had temporary relief but now the guilt is eating me up .I may see him in class for the last time tomorrow should i approach him and tell him face to face .im afraid of other ppl seeing the interaction .Or is it better to email him? he is unpredictable.Or should i send the email after a few months when exams are over ? plz give advises

Scroll to see replies

bump
:frown:
Please don’t bump a post within 24hrs of the last post.

In all honesty I would just cut contact and move on. Life’s too short for making amends with toxic people.
Original post by Admit-One
Please don’t bump a post within 24hrs of the last post.

In all honesty I would just cut contact and move on. Life’s too short for making amends with toxic people.

got it , thank you
What's the TL:biggrin:R version?

Also maybe try using paragraphs next time.
broke up with a seemingly toxic guy , I need to tell him sth(positive of course) because I'm filled with guilt . So just wanna know how to approach him .
Reply 7
You're not weak-hearted. You're kind-hearted. You care about people even when they hurt you. That's true selflessness but you always have to remember to put yourself first. Please, don't put yourself in situations that leave you open to getting hurt. You did it once. Don't do it again.

Instead of sending a message, you could get a journal and write your feelings down for closure. He doesn't need to know your feelings especially when he could have another episode, and throw it all in your face again. It might even be one of the things that triggers him. Who knows? The best you can do for him is to let him be. Let him sort himself out and wish him well from afar.
Honestly, the guy sounds like a narcissistic control freak and his behaviour towards you will likely escalate should you keep allowing him to get close to you…. Probably best to cut all contact and don’t look back
Original post by DarylO
You're not weak-hearted. You're kind-hearted. You care about people even when they hurt you. That's true selflessness but you always have to remember to put yourself first. Please, don't put yourself in situations that leave you open to getting hurt. You did it once. Don't do it again.

Instead of sending a message, you could get a journal and write your feelings down for closure. He doesn't need to know your feelings especially when he could have another episode, and throw it all in your face again. It might even be one of the things that triggers him. Who knows? The best you can do for him is to let him be. Let him sort himself out and wish him well from afar

Thank u very much . I did try writing stuff down but my hands keep shaking .I have this urge to just tell him the truth bcz I don't want him to think that I betrayed him. He used to talk abt marriage and getting cats with me ,so the thing was kinda deep . I don't think we can move on without clarity .I know I will be 80 one day and still have this guilt : (
Original post by Biggz1984
Honestly, the guy sounds like a narcissistic control freak and his behaviour towards you will likely escalate should you keep allowing him to get close to you…. Probably best to cut all contact and don’t look back

Thank you . That's what I'm doing , but I'm just able to ignore it ,idk how ppl just forget stuff like this
Original post by Anonymous
Thank u very much . I did try writing stuff down but my hands keep shaking .I have this urge to just tell him the truth bcz I don't want him to think that I betrayed him. He used to talk abt marriage and getting cats with me ,so the thing was kinda deep . I don't think we can move on without clarity .I know I will be 80 one day and still have this guilt : (

I see where you're coming from. If you're willing to take the risk of getting hurt, then, that's your choice. You want closure and won't feel at peace till you do what you think has to be done. Then, do what you think has to be done. Whatever response he gives, just remember that you're not a weak person. You're kind and that's a quality a lot of people don't have.:hugs:

Also, please, don't get back with him. You two didn't have a healthy relationship. Let him know you really did care and move on. You deserve a healthy relationship.
You sound like a very caring person. He sounds scary.

It may take some time for you to recover from such a stressful relationship.

I expect he will need some time to accept you are not getting back together. He may take out his anger on you again. You are not responsible for him. Please stay away from him. Please look after yourself.
Original post by DarylO
I see where you're coming from. If you're willing to take the risk of getting hurt, then, that's your choice. You want closure and won't feel at peace till you do what you think has to be done. Then, do what you think has to be done. Whatever response he gives, just remember that you're not a weak person. You're kind and that's a quality a lot of people don't have.:hugs:

Also, please, don't get back with him. You two didn't have a healthy relationship. Let him know you really did care and move on. You deserve a healthy relationship.

I will keep this in mind .I aint ever getting back with him ,the attachment was strong because we were two loners and had nobody but each other . I will tell him the truth after a few months .Thanks again (^w^)
I broke up with sm that I was with for 3 years . He was sometimes amazing and the cutest but other times he was absolutely cruel . He used to get me chocolates whenever I was sick and used to look out for me . But I guess he has anger issues /bipolar problem .I called him once to ask about his health and he called me annoying and he later said that i should have tried harder .He stormed out of the library when I had my head on the desk , other ppl noticed it and he made a scene . He used to threaten me that he's gonna break up with me after every few weeks and he would come crawling back and cry and I used to take him back foolishly .He broke up with me when I was offered a job , when I went to a different teacher etc but he was able to convince me to take him back everytime .After i broke up with him , i blocked him from everywhere bcz he scared me , i was losing weight and skipping meals . I did give him closure tho . He begged me to listen . He apologized and I apologized too , I asked if he wants to keep contact and he said he did .We were besties of 5 years , after the apology he started sharing memes and being affectionate and I thought we were friends again so i was nice to him too,I felt like i had a friend for once in my life . Then he begged me to take him back again and i refused politely .He asked me to hit him and take out all the anger on him , begged me to give him another chance . I said that i am up for friendships only.He siad he's gonna wait for me until the future .I told him that he was my first love ,he got bipolar again and said that he should have just ignored me .He said that he needs me till exams .I blocked him from everywhere again .He texted me on my number and bullied me . called me a weak pu^^y . He accused me of cheating and threatened me that he will tell everyone how I fked other men .he kept twisting words . His last line was " dont even look at me with those hideous eyes again" .I never said anything bad about his looks , I ignored it and went on with my life .

Some kind of guilt has been eating me up lately .I feel like i did him wrong by cutting him off . I saw him becoming sick for the first time in 3 yrs . Although I look down whenvever we have eye contacts , i still worry for him .I'm the sensitive weak hearted type . Will it be a bad idea to email him and tell him abt how i truly feel . i would only tell him that he was my first genuine friend in my life , that i wasnt planning to cut him off and genuinely liked staying friends and that the song i sent him was symbolic etc .
I dont want him back but i really need to get these off my chest to find inner peace . My chest used to hurt and I was throwing up whenever he was rude to me ,after the breakup i had temporary relief but now the guilt is eating me up .I may see him in class for the last time tomorrow should i approach him and tell him face to face .im afraid of other ppl seeing the interaction .Or is it better to email him? he is unpredictable.Or should i send the email after a few months when exams are over ? plz give advises

I think maybe you should just not email him. From what I can see, it seems he has quite severe mental health issues, and is emotionally abusing you. I would keep my distance and maybe try and expand ur social circle it a little bit more to help take ur mind off him - its unhealthy to dwell on these things. (I know thats easier said than done)
If u feel you really have to email him - emphasise how the FRIENDSHIP was extremely special, but u really dont wan to get together again,emphasise the good times in ur friedship, but how the relationship didnt work out for you and was causing u mental distress.

Be careful, and hope can resolve this
Mads
Original post by SpiderCrab
You sound like a very caring person. He sounds scary.

It may take some time for you to recover from such a stressful relationship.

I expect he will need some time to accept you are not getting back together. He may take out his anger on you again. You are not responsible for him. Please stay away from him. Please look after yourself.

I am kind of recovered as I'm eating well .I aint going near him again . Thank you very much (^w^)
Original post by MadisonBailey06
I think maybe you should just not email him. From what I can see, it seems he has quite severe mental health issues, and is emotionally abusing you. I would keep my distance and maybe try and expand ur social circle it a little bit more to help take ur mind off him - its unhealthy to dwell on these things. (I know thats easier said than done)
If u feel you really have to email him - emphasise how the FRIENDSHIP was extremely special, but u really dont wan to get together again,emphasise the good times in ur friedship, but how the relationship didnt work out for you and was causing u mental distress.

Be careful, and hope can resolve this
Mads

I think I will email him after a few months and only tell him how special the friendship was to me ,I wouldn't mention the relationship at all. I could never figure him out I will be careful . Thank u very much (^w^)
I think I will email him after a few months and only tell him how special the friendship was to me ,I wouldn't mention the relationship at all. I could never figure him out I will be careful . Thank u very much (^w^)

no probs good luck with everything!
Original post by MadisonBailey06
no probs good luck with everything!

thankss :smile:))
Yano what concerns me about this situation? My wife and I were really good friends for many years before we got together.. like since primary school, she was in a relationship that sounds like this one.. after time it got progressively worse for her and his behaviour got more and more extreme to the point where it turned violent and if I’m being honest, bordering sadistic…

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending