The Student Room Group

Pre-interview stress

I have an interview next week for a v competitive postgrad course. I'm reeeallly nervous. I don't know if my odds of getting a place are very good (I just graduated last summer, lots more experienced people applying) and I get nervous in interviews so I'm really scared I'll mess it up. Rationally I know that if I get rejected it's not the end of the world and I can apply again next year, but I'll still be really disappointed. The whole thing is just making me so stressed!! Anyone have any advice?
Hi, interviews can seem very scary and the the time leading up to the interview can be very stressful. One thing that is very common during this period is self-doubt and the tendency to compare oneself with other potential candidates (who will always 'seem' more experienced, brilliant or resourceful than you!). You will also notice how this stress can spill over into other areas of your life making it difficult for you to concentrate and feel relaxed. There are a number of things you could do. First, time the interview preparation. This means you should allocate a few minutes/ hours during the day when you'll prepare for the interview and nothing else. But also make sure that you don't brood over the upcoming interview during other times. You might just keep a diary nearby and tally mark every time a thought about the interview disturbs you. This helps to keep a check on the stressor as well as compartmentalize your life so that other important parts of your life/ schedule are not neglected and that you also a get chance to see how the interview is but a small component of your academic/ professional career. You are correct in observing that it isn't the end of the world if you get rejected. But brooding will only make things worse. What if you get past the interview and are accepted into your chosen programme? There is also this possibility. So, all I would suggest is: have self-trust, play to your strengths during the interview and just relax. Make sure that you take a few deep breaths every time you feel disturbed and just ensure that you keep yourself hydrated. All the very best!
Reply 2
Original post by anthro_int5
Hi, interviews can seem very scary and the the time leading up to the interview can be very stressful. One thing that is very common during this period is self-doubt and the tendency to compare oneself with other potential candidates (who will always 'seem' more experienced, brilliant or resourceful than you!). You will also notice how this stress can spill over into other areas of your life making it difficult for you to concentrate and feel relaxed. There are a number of things you could do. First, time the interview preparation. This means you should allocate a few minutes/ hours during the day when you'll prepare for the interview and nothing else. But also make sure that you don't brood over the upcoming interview during other times. You might just keep a diary nearby and tally mark every time a thought about the interview disturbs you. This helps to keep a check on the stressor as well as compartmentalize your life so that other important parts of your life/ schedule are not neglected and that you also a get chance to see how the interview is but a small component of your academic/ professional career. You are correct in observing that it isn't the end of the world if you get rejected. But brooding will only make things worse. What if you get past the interview and are accepted into your chosen programme? There is also this possibility. So, all I would suggest is: have self-trust, play to your strengths during the interview and just relax. Make sure that you take a few deep breaths every time you feel disturbed and just ensure that you keep yourself hydrated. All the very best!

Hey there, thank you so much for the kind response! I had my interview today and I feel like it didn't go too badly- still no idea if it was good enough for a place but I gave it my all! Your advice was very helpful so I just wanted to reply and say thank you :smile:
Original post by squid2013
Hey there, thank you so much for the kind response! I had my interview today and I feel like it didn't go too badly- still no idea if it was good enough for a place but I gave it my all! Your advice was very helpful so I just wanted to reply and say thank you :smile:

Hi, I'm glad that the interview didn't go as bad as you had expected. Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by anthro_int5
Hi, I'm glad that the interview didn't go as bad as you had expected. Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck!

Update: I got an offer :smile:
Original post by squid2013
Update: I got an offer :smile:

Thanks for sharing, this is brilliant news! Heartiest congratulations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending