The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

From rainbows to strikes - what happened to the NHS and what can we do?

In 2020, we were clapping for carers/the NHS on our doorsteps, displaying rainbows in our windows, and nursing degree applications were rocketing.

Three years later, we're seeing ongoing strikes over pay and negative press around working within the NHS. So what happens now?

I'm Ann and I've been working at Teesside University as a lecturer for 16 years. I trained as a nurse and worked as a Macmillan nurse, and in a local hospice, before I joined the University.

With so much conversation and shifting public opinion around healthcare, and the NHS in particular, how do you feel about a future with no NHS? Are we at a crossroads in the UK? Has the lack of government funding contributed to where we're at currently? With less and less people interested in training to become nurses, where do we go from here?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Negative press around all aspects of the NHS is really sad. Our NHS is incredible!!
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
I'm really nervous about potentially not having an NHS and what this may mean for everyone in society who may not be able to access healthcare, so I'm really hoping that our government helps us out :smile: I'm really passionate about working in adult nursing in the future and weighing up my options. Are you still accepting applicants for September? I'm thinking of applying :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm really nervous about potentially not having an NHS and what this may mean for everyone in society who may not be able to access healthcare, so I'm really hoping that our government helps us out :smile: I'm really passionate about working in adult nursing in the future and weighing up my options. Are you still accepting applicants for September? I'm thinking of applying :smile:

Hello,
Yes we are still open for September 23 and January 24 we have places for Adult, Mental Health and Learning Disabilities Nursing. We have a variety of interesting events over the next few weeks and also an open day on June 24th. Have a look on our website about upcoming events.
If you need any specific information please let me know.
Thanks
Ann
I'm really nervous about potentially not having an NHS and what this may mean for everyone in society who may not be able to access healthcare, so I'm really hoping that our government helps us out :smile: I'm really passionate about working in adult nursing in the future and weighing up my options. Are you still accepting applicants for September? I'm thinking of applying :smile:Yes we are still accepting applicants for September and here is our adult nursing page- https://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_courses/nursing_&_health/bsc_(hons)_nursing_studies_(adult).cfm

Yes we are still accepting applicants for our September course. Here is the link to our adult nursing page- https://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_courses/nursing_&_health/bsc_(hons)_nursing_studies_(adult).cfm

Nursing is a fabulous profession to be part of and is such a rewarding career. All fields of nursing, including adult, offer a wide range of opportunities once you have qualified, the world is your oyster. Caring for people when they are going through difficult times is such a massive privilege
Reply 5
Good afternoon! I'm so glad to hear about your passion for Adult Nursing. There really is a future in it, and we are still actively seeking applications for September.

Dr Claire Gill (Lecturer in Adult Nursing)
I couldn't personally do any healthcare professions, it's not my area, but I've got huge respect for all the people that do! Having an NHS is a real pride of our country and the fact that it's been pushed aside and taken for granted really concerns me. What would you say is something that could be done to get more people into these jobs where they can help so many people? Have a great day!
I couldn't personally do any healthcare professions, it's not my area, but I've got huge respect for all the people that do! Having an NHS is a real pride of our country and the fact that it's been pushed aside and taken for granted really concerns me. What would you say is something that could be done to get more people into these jobs where they can help so many people? Have a great day!

Thank you for your question, this is a difficult one to answer in the current climate but I think that if people heard a lot of positive stories about what it is like to work in healthcare that might be a start. It is very challenging at times as it has already been mentioned but there are so many positive aspects to working in healthcare. I will share some of my experiences to help illustrate what a great profession it is to work in. I have had the pleasure of working in the area of palliative care for a number of years, as it says in the opening statement in a hospice and community setting. To be able to "be" with people when they are at their most vulnerable and have an impact in how they feel is a privilege. It is not always the physical tasks that have the greatest impact it is often the little things such as sitting in silence with someone while they process what is happening to them. Recognising the person inside the "patient" asking someone about their life, remembering and respecting that a person was once fit and well has a huge impact on their sense of personhood and self worth. Being in the healthcare system, whether it is in hospital or simply going to see a GP is not a normal interaction, people feel vulnerable and out of control, healthcare professionals have the ability to mitigate this by respecting the person and ensuring that all interactions no matter how small acknowledge the person as an individual. People do not always remember what we do for them as healthcare professionals but they remember how we made them feel.
I have had the unique opportunity in working with people who are at the end of life and to also support their families during their illness and after they have died. I have learned so much from each person and their families, although it has been difficult and challenging at times I certainly would not change my career at all. I am proud to be a nurse and although the NHS is going through a difficult phase my hope is that people can see that by joining the profession they can influence and shape the future NHS and certainly have an impact on the care of the people who need it.
Thanks
Ann
I cant imagine a future without the NHS. It's such an integral part of our culture and so important to how we work as a country and I have nothing but the upmost respect for everyone who works within it. How have you found teaching student nurses over the years? Has there been a switch in how student nurses feel before entering the profession, and how they are trained to cope in a ever squeezed NHS?

What do you think is the best way of boosting morale for nurses in your professional opinion? I think it's really important to ensure we're listening to people who are in the profession before passing judgments on what we think they need from the outside.
I cant imagine a future without the NHS. It's such an integral part of our culture and so important to how we work as a country and I have nothing but the upmost respect for everyone who works within it. How have you found teaching student nurses over the years? Has there been a switch in how student nurses feel before entering the profession, and how they are trained to cope in a ever squeezed NHS?

What do you think is the best way of boosting morale for nurses in your professional opinion? I think it's really important to ensure we're listening to people who are in the profession before passing judgments on what we think they need from the outside.

I can't imagine that either. Over the years teaching students I don't think much has changed, they are keen and enthusiastic and mostly enjoy their experience in placement. What has changed is that the patients who are in hospital are more unwell then they used to be. Changes in practice such as the development of pre-assessment clinics and advances in some surgical procedures such as orthopaedics means that the length of stay for some patients is shorter than it used to be. This means that the patients who are in hospital are the ones who need quite intensive treatments and care. What has changed when teaching students is the advanced roles that nurses can undertake such as Advanced Practitioner roles in all fields of nursing, Nurse Consultant roles for learning disabilities, mental health and adult nursing means that as educators we must make sure we are preparing student for more advanced roles. Non medical prescribing is a really good example, nurses leave their undergraduate course with more understanding of pharmacology and the ability to join a prescribing course soon after they qualify, which is great progress and gives nurses fabulous employment opportunities.
In terms of increasing the morale of nurses I think it is important for nurses to feel valued not only financially but to remind them of the difference they make to peoples lives. I think at the moment the narrative around healthcare is focusing on the negative aspects and not on the positive.

Thank you for your question
Ann
Original post by TeessideTSRTalks
I can't imagine that either. Over the years teaching students I don't think much has changed, they are keen and enthusiastic and mostly enjoy their experience in placement. What has changed is that the patients who are in hospital are more unwell then they used to be. Changes in practice such as the development of pre-assessment clinics and advances in some surgical procedures such as orthopaedics means that the length of stay for some patients is shorter than it used to be. This means that the patients who are in hospital are the ones who need quite intensive treatments and care. What has changed when teaching students is the advanced roles that nurses can undertake such as Advanced Practitioner roles in all fields of nursing, Nurse Consultant roles for learning disabilities, mental health and adult nursing means that as educators we must make sure we are preparing student for more advanced roles. Non medical prescribing is a really good example, nurses leave their undergraduate course with more understanding of pharmacology and the ability to join a prescribing course soon after they qualify, which is great progress and gives nurses fabulous employment opportunities.
In terms of increasing the morale of nurses I think it is important for nurses to feel valued not only financially but to remind them of the difference they make to peoples lives. I think at the moment the narrative around healthcare is focusing on the negative aspects and not on the positive.

Thank you for your question
Ann

I think the whole pay issue is larger than people realise. When you think about it;

Barbers: £20 p/h
Hairdressers: £50p/h

Just to give a few examples of what people earn per hour. These are all of these are skilled jobs however, only one requires you to pay out of your own pocket to study for an extended period of time. Especially during COVID we were told to clap for them but when it comes to increasing their salaries they are vilified? Yet we are expectant of Dr's/nurses to be ok earning £14p/h? It makes no sense that their salaries have not increased since 2001 and inflation has really soared during the same period. I don't blame them for going abroad where they are truly valued and paid accordingly. The average MP earns over £80,000 per year and claims on expenses as a public servant yet our taxes are able to cover those costs and not the NHS. It's disgusting.
Hello! This is very scary and I hate to think of a world without NHS :frown: Is there anything that students/unis can do to help make a difference?
I hate to see this happen to such a strong institution in our country. Do you think the number of people interested in going into nursing is directly related to the wage cuts or to shifting values in society? Or even to a variety of combining factors? Pay our NHS!
i wonder if more students will go into private sector eventually..?
I posted previously that I think we can try to look at the advantages in working in healthcare other than the narrative that we see currently in the media. That is not to say that some of the issues that are being raised are not important. The subject of pay is an extremely important one, I have attached a link below to NHS Jobs for an example of what a newly qualified nurse would receive.
https://beta.jobs.nhs.uk/candidate/jobadvert/C9328-23-9163

The other important point to remember is that once qualified as a nurse there are many career opportunities, developing and expanding your role and influencing the future provision of healthcare.

Ann
As an about-to-qualify student, I've considered it. I decided that if I wasn't been offered a job in the unit I wanted to work in, I would look at private healthcare. Even considering it made me feel like a turncoat. Thankfully I have a job on my preferred unit, but I know some of my cohort are not joining the NHS but joining the prison service as nurses and a few in other areas. But I really believe in the NHS and healthcare that is free for all, so am glad I have a job lined up in the NHS.

i wonder if more students will go into private sector eventually..?
I think the whole pay issue is larger than people realise. When you think about it;

Barbers: £20 p/h
Hairdressers: £50p/h

Just to give a few examples of what people earn per hour. These are all of these are skilled jobs however, only one requires you to pay out of your own pocket to study for an extended period of time. Especially during COVID we were told to clap for them but when it comes to increasing their salaries they are vilified? Yet we are expectant of Dr's/nurses to be ok earning £14p/h? It makes no sense that their salaries have not increased since 2001 and inflation has really soared during the same period. I don't blame them for going abroad where they are truly valued and paid accordingly. The average MP earns over £80,000 per year and claims on expenses as a public servant yet our taxes are able to cover those costs and not the NHS. It's disgusting.

It's quite shocking and the basic pay rate is quite sobering. We were talking about this at our university recently. The reality for us is that even if we do get a pay rise, we may well lose the increase again in student loan repayments. It's a vicious circle. I think many of us enter the profession not for the pay primarily, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be paid a respectable wage, after all, nursing is a professional role with much responsibility.
Original post by stnurse2020
As an about-to-qualify student, I've considered it. I decided that if I wasn't been offered a job in the unit I wanted to work in, I would look at private healthcare. Even considering it made me feel like a turncoat. Thankfully I have a job on my preferred unit, but I know some of my cohort are not joining the NHS but joining the prison service as nurses and a few in other areas. But I really believe in the NHS and healthcare that is free for all, so am glad I have a job lined up in the NHS.

I think this can be a real issue as we have seen this with the rise in nurses working for agencies especially when they are advanced practitioners. They can work for an agency and work the hours that are convenient for them. There are many complex issues that need careful navigation.

Ann
Hello! This is very scary and I hate to think of a world without NHS :frown: Is there anything that students/unis can do to help make a difference?

We have great students full of energy and enthusiasm who really want to make a difference. I dont think the media helps our profession, stories are often negative rather than celebrating our many successes.

Rachel
I hate to see this happen to such a strong institution in our country. Do you think the number of people interested in going into nursing is directly related to the wage cuts or to shifting values in society? Or even to a variety of combining factors? Pay our NHS!

I think it is a combination of factors really. I think media has a big role to play, for instance we saw a rise in student numbers during and immediately after covid as the media focus was very much on the fabulous work the NHS did during the pandemic. Since then though, and with the unrest with strikes, waiting lists, waiting times, staff numbers etc the media has been very negative. The challenge for us all as nurses is how we can change that rhetoric.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending