The Student Room Group

don’t know how I’ll cope after university

My first two years at undergraduate were so miserable and stressful making me hate university. But my third year has been one of the best academic years of my entire life. Not only have I been consistently getting good grades but I also have a thriving social life and I spent most of this year working at a part time job that allowed me to interact with students from other universities.

I literally feel so depressed at the thought of going back to my old life. I’m not sure how I’ll cope. My father has anger issues and my mother is severely mentally ill. Both of them have neglected me for most of my childhood.

I came into university feeling insecure and anxious, making the wrong groups of friends and feeling overwhelmed that I get to make my own food choices after being starved for so long. This year I finally got it together. I finally have hope. And now I have to go back. I don’t earn enough to live on my own and culturally as a brown girl I’m not sure I could. I’m not sure if I’ll get a job back home for ages because London is so competitive and I’m growing distant with my friendship circle. I don’t know what to look forward to. And I don’t have much of an identity outside writing academic papers. I don’t know how I’ll adjust to the 9-5 life.

How do people cope with post university life? It sounds so hopeless and miserable. I’m dreading it
Original post by Anonymous
My first two years at undergraduate were so miserable and stressful making me hate university. But my third year has been one of the best academic years of my entire life. Not only have I been consistently getting good grades but I also have a thriving social life and I spent most of this year working at a part time job that allowed me to interact with students from other universities.

I literally feel so depressed at the thought of going back to my old life. I’m not sure how I’ll cope. My father has anger issues and my mother is severely mentally ill. Both of them have neglected me for most of my childhood.

I came into university feeling insecure and anxious, making the wrong groups of friends and feeling overwhelmed that I get to make my own food choices after being starved for so long. This year I finally got it together. I finally have hope. And now I have to go back. I don’t earn enough to live on my own and culturally as a brown girl I’m not sure I could. I’m not sure if I’ll get a job back home for ages because London is so competitive and I’m growing distant with my friendship circle. I don’t know what to look forward to. And I don’t have much of an identity outside writing academic papers. I don’t know how I’ll adjust to the 9-5 life.

How do people cope with post university life? It sounds so hopeless and miserable. I’m dreading it

Do a postgraduate degree?
Original post by ageshallnot
Do a postgraduate degree?

Kinda expensive tho isn’t it? And after that I still gotta deal with the same problems. The future is so bleak and hopeless. I don’t know how people deal with it.
Kinda expensive tho isn’t it? And after that I still gotta deal with the same problems. The future is so bleak and hopeless. I don’t know how people deal with it.

Don't go home. Apply to do a master's part time over two years. That way you can get a loan for study and also work to earn money.

A lot don't go home - especially if it's a toxic environment. Are you applying for graduate jobs? You should be able to live away from your family home especially if you consider flat shares.
Find some friends to share a flat with so you can split costs. Given your family circumstances, I would try to avoid going back into that situation. Once you're done with your studies, you can get a job, even if it's a temporary one that's not in your field of study, it will provide some income for you to live. The 9-5 life isn't that hard once you get used to it and you'll be in a much better place mentally for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending