The Student Room Group

Samsung galaxy tab s6 lite Vs iPad air

I'm looking at getting a tablet for digital notes and flashcards as a sixth form student. I'm not sure how to choose between these 2 options as the Samsung galaxy tab s6 lite is significantly cheaper and comes with an s-pen but would the iPad air be more versatile and last longer?
Reply 1
I have an S6 lite
Personally I wouldn't get an Apple device purely because of the lack of control you have over it, but I suppose most people don't really care about such things, so:

Pros:
- relatively inexpensive
- solidly built
- good resolution
- long battery life
- you can install lineageos
- pros of lineageos:
-- no bloatware that you can't uninstall, e.g. Bixby
-- faster than the default OS
-- will continue to receive updates, for the forseeable future
-- you can choose if you want to install Google apps, or if you wish to join the side of free, open source software using fdroid
- cons of lineageos:
-- you need to install it manually, which is safe but some people may feel uncomfortable doing so
-- you should install it before you start using it, otherwise you'll have to make a backup of your data to restore after installation

Cons:
- kind of heavy(?)
- lots of bloatware by default on the default OS

I haven't used an iPad air before, but I'd say there's no real need to put in the extra money.
The S6 is sufficient for notes and flashcards, and will last for a very long time, should you wish to make a small effort towards its longevity
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending