The Student Room Group

Means tested application for SFE

Hi all, my uni wants proof of household income for next year. I need to provide the income of both of my parents. I just wanted to ask how accurate the family incomes have to be? This will be checked with HMRC so I don't want to do anything wrong as my parents don't have accountants. What do I do?
Hi, Sol from the University of Suffolk here :smile:

They need to be as honest and as accurate as they possibly can. A lot of parents don't have accountants. As long as they say what their salaries are, or if they don't have set salaries then as long as they accurately say how much money they earnt in the relevant years it'll be fine. Just please ensure that they are not actively lying about their income, or that they aren't declaring other forms of income which they need to.

Student finance has more information about declaring household income here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/household-income

They will have to make an account of their own to declare their income and the application itself has very detailed instructions on completing it, so I'd say best thing to do is follow the application process and let your parents read the guidance as and when they are given it.

I know these things can be worrying, but as long as you're all trying your best to be honest, you're not going to be reprimanded.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards
Solomon (Recent graduate)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending