The Student Room Group

Fraudulent activity help

Hi guys my halifax bank account was temporarily suspended until further notice due to me allowing my mate to send a payment i contacted my bank and they told me i must come down to the branch and show them proof of my friend telling me so anyone have any idea of what may happen and what consequences i could face?
Reply 1
If it's genuine, no consequences.

If it's fraudulent, a CIFAS marker.

What exactly do you mean by your friend sending a payment? Did money move into your account, then out again very quickly? Was it a very large sum of money?
Reply 2
My mate asked me to take a payment for him and i agreed and now its been flagged for fraud also do halifax bank message u everyday about the fraudulent funds or will it be a new case?
Reply 3
Original post by AR1208
My mate asked me to take a payment for him and i agreed and now its been flagged for fraud also do halifax bank message u everyday about the fraudulent funds or will it be a new case?

So why couldn't your mate take the payment? Surely that would ring alarm bells with you. Who was it from?

Not sure what your question means.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
They will be interested in where the money came from, why you were involved and most importantly if there is any associated criminality
Reply 5
I went to the bank today and I told them everything about how he told me to take the payments they have given me an email address to send all my evidence too which i have now done and waiting for a response just hoping i dont get a CIFAS marker
Reply 6
Yeh i get what u mean man was foolish of me i thought i was just doing a favour but i have been to the branch today and they asked me to provide them with evidence which i have now done
How did the bank know that you were making a payment for your friend? How much was the payment for?
Reply 8
I rang the bank and had told them the friend asked me to take the payment and i have also provided them with evidence of that and they are expected to get back to me soon what do you think will happen?
Reply 9
Original post by Surnia
So why couldn't your mate take the payment? Surely that would ring alarm bells with you. Who was it from?

Not sure what your question means.

The money was from random people it was about 4 payments for £150 from random people which he had asked me to take i have showed the bank the evidence and they are reviewing it
Original post by AR1208
The money was from random people it was about 4 payments for £150 from random people which he had asked me to take i have showed the bank the evidence and they are reviewing it

And did you then quickly transfer this money to your friend, withdraw it in cash or something else?
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia
And did you then quickly transfer this money to your friend, withdraw it in cash or something else?

I sent it to another account as he told me which i told the bank any idea what they could do i have seen cases like this but they havent provided evidence or there bank has shut them off immediately whereas mine they are reviewing it and i have gave them evidence
Original post by AR1208
I sent it to another account as he told me which i told the bank any idea what they could do i have seen cases like this but they havent provided evidence or there bank has shut them off immediately whereas mine they are reviewing it and i have gave them evidence

Unless the payments were genuine, you let yourself be used as a money mule and your so-called mate was trying to avoid his account being used for money laundering. What excuse did he give for the payments not going directly to him? Just trying to get a clear picture here
Reply 13
Original post by Surnia
Unless the payments were genuine, you let yourself be used as a money mule and your so-called mate was trying to avoid his account being used for money laundering. What excuse did he give for the payments not going directly to him? Just trying to get a clear picture here

He said his account had been shut any idea what the bank may do?
Original post by AR1208
He said his account had been shut any idea what the bank may do?

You not seen your mate with a bank card recently? So he just lives off cash in hand and has nothing for wages to go into or a means to pay bills by direct debit or cheque? Or maybe he got caught out, too. How well do you actually know him?

Post #2.
do you mean your friend paid money into your account
Reply 16
Original post by Surnia
You not seen your mate with a bank card recently? So he just lives off cash in hand and has nothing for wages to go into or a means to pay bills by direct debit or cheque? Or maybe he got caught out, too. How well do you actually know him?

Post #2.

I only asked wat do u think the bank would do however its all sorted now the bank have gave me the benefit of the doubt and have allowed me to open another account with them
Original post by AR1208
however its all sorted now

So why did you just make another thread asking about it? :confused:

Here you say they've let you open another account and in your next thread you say they will unblock it if you provide evidence... which is it?
Reply 18
Original post by StriderHort
So why did you just make another thread asking about it? :confused:

Here you say they've let you open another account and in your next thread you say they will unblock it if you provide evidence... which is it?

Posted that by mistake pal lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending