The Student Room Group

job issues

if I've only had a job for a short amount of time e.g. 1.5 months then how does giving in notice work? I really hate my place of work.

Also how to still obtain references from a toxic workplace?

How to go for job interviews when you have no time off and send out good quality job applications when working crazy applications?

Anyone have any advice for these points, thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Amiit10
if I've only had a job for a short amount of time e.g. 1.5 months then how does giving in notice work? I really hate my place of work.

Also how to still obtain references from a toxic workplace?

How to go for job interviews when you have no time off and send out good quality job applications when working crazy applications?

Anyone have any advice for these points, thanks

Hi Amiit,

In most cases, if you have been working for just over a month, one weeks notice is enough. You can do this either writing a few paragraph of why you are leaving, mentioning positives, and skills you have learnt from the job; I would say hand the letter to your manager to be more professional. However, if there aren’t many positive points you can think of, try not to be too negative but more of constructive feedback on how they could improve.

For the reference part, most places don’t seem to contact them (this is only in my experience) but if it was a toxic work environment, then it might not be suitable to reference them as this could even backlash your future job that you want. However, if you do want to reference them, simply just put their contact details (phone number or email) on ur CV with all your other references.

For job interviews, if you cannot make them then they will see this as a lack of dedication (from an employers perspective, I would think that if you don’t have the time to make the interview, then you would not have the time to do the job) so I would say try your best to make the interviews when possible or contact them to arrange a suitable day since communication is key as this can reflect on your character.

Regarding the actual applications for a job, I’m not too sure with what you mean by ‘crazy applications’ but if you are talking about where to apply for lots of jobs, there are many popular apps/websites which I have been successful on, such as:

- Indeed
- LinkedIn
- Reed

These three are very good options and I would say to start on Indeed as I found this to be a good starting point overall.

Hope that helps Amiit!
Reply 2
That is all amazing advice, will definitely take on board and use. Also just realised i had a typo and my question was wrong hence why you got a bit confused, sorry my mistake.

question should've been 'How to go for job interviews when you have no time off and send out good quality job applications when working crazy hours?'

thanks for all your help
Reply 3
No problem.

It can be difficult to send out your CVs and such when you work full-time, I’d suggest downloading the apps of the places I mentioned above before as it takes less than a minute to send a job application when you have got your CV ready.

When you are not working or on a break, I’d suggest completing/improving your CV so that it is up to date, upload to the apps (they will tell you what to do and how to do it too, they were helpful to me when I first started) and simply search for jobs whether it be something specific or close to home or part-time etc.

For interviews, you can potentially ask for zoom calls or phone interviews. Although these aren’t as common anymore (was mostly in pandemic), this can be an alternative but I’d highly recommend trying, in any way possible, to get some time off or make time when you aren’t working as it sounds like you want to prioritise this.

I hope I have helped giving you some insight on this!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending