The Student Room Group

Rejections from Unis, what is the best action plan?

Just got rejected from Philosophy and Politics at Edinburgh, St Andrews, and still waiting on Bristol and Durham but I'm doubting I'm going to get in now. Got an offer from York but this was my safety and preferably I'd like to go somewhere else. If I get higher than my predicted in my Alevels (a*aa) could I go apply to these unis through clearing? Its just risky as I won't know what uni I will go to till late August. Is this a good idea?
Original post by claudiaglanville
Just got rejected from Philosophy and Politics at Edinburgh, St Andrews, and still waiting on Bristol and Durham but I'm doubting I'm going to get in now. Got an offer from York but this was my safety and preferably I'd like to go somewhere else. If I get higher than my predicted in my Alevels (a*aa) could I go apply to these unis through clearing? Its just risky as I won't know what uni I will go to till late August. Is this a good idea?

Have you thought about applying through UCAS Extra? You can apply to universities that still have places for your desired course which is pretty much almost all universities.
(edited 1 year ago)

Those unis are relatively unlikely to be in clearing for your course. Have you had any feedback about why you were rejected?
Original post by JA03
Have you thought about applying through UCAS Extra? You can apply to universities that still have places for your desired course which is pretty much almost all universities.

I had no idea this was a thing and I've just looked and am massively leaning towards doing this for Exeter now, so thank you so much!
Original post by ageshallnot
Those unis are relatively unlikely to be in clearing for your course. Have you had any feedback about why you were rejected?

just the usual it was too full/competitive :/
I had no idea this was a thing and I've just looked and am massively leaning towards doing this for Exeter now, so thank you so much!

You can only use extra or clearing if you are holding no offers. You would need to reject York and withdraw from Durham and Bristol. You need to check whether Exeter still has vacancies before making this decision as they might have filled all their places.

What you have experienced many others have. Gambling on getting offers from top universities is very risky hence why the advice is not to do it. If you decide to go ahead as you have many end up with rejections.
Original post by swanseajack1
You can only use extra or clearing if you are holding no offers. You would need to reject York and withdraw from Durham and Bristol. You need to check whether Exeter still has vacancies before making this decision as they might have filled all their places.

What you have experienced many others have. Gambling on getting offers from top universities is very risky hence why the advice is not to do it. If you decide to go ahead as you have many end up with rejections.

I'm not going to do it yet I'm going to wait for Bristol and Durham to get back to me first definitely.
I'm not going to do it yet I'm going to wait for Bristol and Durham to get back to me first definitely.

Also consider a gap year, especially if you do better than your predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending