The Student Room Group

AS Levels

Do universities take AS level grades into consideration? Like if I only took the subject for one year not two?
Original post by Masad28
Do universities take AS level grades into consideration? Like if I only took the subject for one year not two?

I mean it really depends on the course you want to get into and what subject you’ve chosen for AS. But I guess they may take it into consideration as it can count towards the UCAS Tariff Points ?
Reply 2
I want to do computer science and I started taking further math AS level this year because I wanted to try to get into imperial and they have a entrance exam that has further math that I only found out about this year. So my plan was to only take AS level exam this year because I wouldn't have time to do both years but then Imperial rejected me so I don't really need it anymore. Im not the best with further math yet cause I started it in like late November so I know if I take the exam I won't do well so im thinking maybe to drop it but I already told unis im taking it so im worried if I say I dropped it they might reject me because of it
Original post by anonymoususer772
I mean it really depends on the course you want to get into and what subject you’ve chosen for AS. But I guess they may take it into consideration as it can count towards the UCAS Tariff Points ?
Original post by Masad28
I want to do computer science and I started taking further math AS level this year because I wanted to try to get into imperial and they have a entrance exam that has further math that I only found out about this year. So my plan was to only take AS level exam this year because I wouldn't have time to do both years but then Imperial rejected me so I don't really need it anymore. Im not the best with further math yet cause I started it in like late November so I know if I take the exam I won't do well so im thinking maybe to drop it but I already told unis im taking it so im worried if I say I dropped it they might reject me because of it

So sorry that you didn’t get into imperial! It is a really tough university to get into! Regarding the other universities, as long as you hit the requirements you’re fine. They shouldn’t reject you solely because you’ve dropped further maths as it’s not a requirement. If you think you won’t perform well in further maths A-Level then definitely drop it. You would rather have good A-Level results than one poor one. Not only that, it may take up most of your time when revising for your other subjects. Pls do discuss this with tutors or peers just to get some different views. But from an outsider this is what I think. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by anonymoususer772
So sorry that you didn’t get into imperial! It is a really tough university to get into! Regarding the other universities, as long as you hit the requirements you’re fine. They shouldn’t reject you solely because you’ve dropped further maths as it’s not a requirement. If you think you won’t perform well in further maths A-Level then definitely drop it. You would rather have good A-Level results than one poor one. Not only that, it may take up most of your time when revising for your other subjects. Pls do discuss this with tutors or peers just to get some different views. But from an outsider this is what I think. Hope this helps :smile:

Yeah it's okay, I was aiming a bit too high maybe. That's exactly what I was thinking, id rather focus on the grades I need to achieve than spend time trying to do Further Math when I don't even really need it. Thank you so much for your help!!
Original post by Masad28
Yeah it's okay, I was aiming a bit too high maybe. That's exactly what I was thinking, id rather focus on the grades I need to achieve than spend time trying to do Further Math when I don't even really need it. Thank you so much for your help!!

Most universities dont require AS Maths for CS. The problem is that if you stated you were planning sitting AS FM universities have made offers on that basis so as part of the contract you made with them they would expect you to take it otherwise you have broken the contract. If you drop the AS a university would be entitled to change or withdraw your offer. That is the strict advice.

However in practice hardly anybody will care but for the above reason you should contact the universities you have offers from before dropping the AS.

Your agreement with the universities is only to take the exam. You dont have to pass it or achieve a set grade. You could get a grade U and you will still meet any offers that have been made.

You need to discuss this with your school as they have paid for you to sit the exam and you are very close to the date they can get your money back so might charge you for dropping it.
Reply 6
Thank you for your response, I have emailed universities asking whether they will be taking it into consideration towards my application and am waiting to hear back. I am taking regular A level mathematics with a predicted grade of A* as well as 2 other subjects and the university I am waiting for has a requirement to take either Further Math or regular Math and get the grade A so its not like im not taking any math subject but I understand what you mean.
In regards to my school, its not an issue, people sometimes drop subjects the day before an exam but I have already spoken to the teacher in charge of it last week and she said it would be no problem to drop it just to let her know my final decision as soon as I make it.
I just have to wait and see what the university says.
Thank you so much for the advice!!
Original post by swanseajack1
Most universities dont require AS Maths for CS. The problem is that if you stated you were planning sitting AS FM universities have made offers on that basis so as part of the contract you made with them they would expect you to take it otherwise you have broken the contract. If you drop the AS a university would be entitled to change or withdraw your offer. That is the strict advice.

However in practice hardly anybody will care but for the above reason you should contact the universities you have offers from before dropping the AS.

Your agreement with the universities is only to take the exam. You dont have to pass it or achieve a set grade. You could get a grade U and you will still meet any offers that have been made.

You need to discuss this with your school as they have paid for you to sit the exam and you are very close to the date they can get your money back so might charge you for dropping it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending